Michael O Neill - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Michael O Neill

Doric

Would be the most popular non-Scot I'd imagine.

I sat next to him once at a BP Youth cup match back in the mid nineties. It was in the directors box at Easter Road- leather padded seats! Hibs v Hearts. Jambos won 0-1. A penalty. A year or so later I saw him driving a Renault 5 through Waverly Station.

Anyways, I certainly wouldn't grumble if he got the gig.

We're old mates, Mick and me!

4 minutes ago, Stu101 said:

Hopefully, although did someone not post an article that said his next gig would be managing a club? (possibly quoting his agent or something?)

There was an article like that but it was quotes from Jimmy Nicholl. He was interviewed in the Belfast Telegraph over here in October talking about his reluctance to move into club management due to the lack of control and trigger happy chairman. He will be tempted by us, I’m certain of that. NI squad getting older and dont have the structure below to back it up like we do. Though he could be a good bet for the Burnley job if Dyche goes to Everton. I personally think he will be our new manager.

Just now, bossman4 said:

There was an article like that but it was quotes from Jimmy Nicholl. He was interviewed in the Belfast Telegraph over here in October talking about his reluctance to move into club management due to the lack of control and trigger happy chairman. He will be tempted by us, I’m certain of that. NI squad getting older and dont have the structure below to back it up like we do. Though he could be a good bet for the Burnley job if Dyche goes to Everton. I personally think he will be our new manager.

Yeah, that was the one. Cheers.

2 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Don't get me wrong it would please me given the history of the club, but a Catholic from Ulster managing Rangers still seems improbable.

I doubt it would cause much of a fuss here these days. 

It might cause more of a stramash in NI. 

Would he really want that hassle? I doubt it. 

48 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It might cause more of a stramash in NI.

Given that he has already been the boss of NI, I'm not even sure how big that would be.

What worried me (as both a Rangers and a Scotland fan) is that I suspect he might get a big money offer from down south - as noted above.

I'd take him, if he was interested.  He manged to take a largely average Northern Ireland team to its first major finals in 30 years and was a bawhair away from repeating the feat tonight (they were unlucky to be beaten).

I believe he even has a home in Scotland too.  Whether he could tolerate working for the clowns at the SFA while his stock is still high is another matter though.

I'd certainly hope the SFA at least make an approach, although I think he's contracted to the IFA until 2020.

He has unearthed a few Anglo-Northern Irish players so I don't know if he would actually play SPL/Scottish players over the granny rule, but certainly has had a tune out of NI in the past four years - to get to the Euros (won their group, they'd have qualified no matter the extended tournament 'letting in the diddies' shite ; and a dodgy ref decision away from taking the Swiss to extra time).

He lives in Edinburgh too.

No doubt the SFA will offer McLeish a 6 year deal and a £1 million a year contract in six months time.

Edited by weekevie04

Another international role is undoubtedly the safest choice for Michael o neill. You get much longer in international football & we have all seen how ridiculously ruthless premiership chairmen are nowadays. It isn’t beyond impossible for Michael o Neil to go to a Prem club then have a bad start & be sacked. If he takes another national job he will get more time as a guarantee. If I was Michael o neill I would only take a club role with a chairmen and board that don’t sack easily and those are few and far between-so he should wait until that option is on the table regardless.

16 minutes ago, fringo said:

Why would he leave his job as manager of his own country to manage another country ?

He'll either stay as N Ireland manager or go to a half decent club job.

More money and even by the admision of a lot of NI fans over here he’s taken them as far as he can. Brunt, McAuley and Hughes will all retire for a start. He will no doubt see the Scotland job as a new challange with much bigger resources

NI based Sun journo on Radio Ulster this morning saying he expects him to go to Scotland job. He wont just jump at the first club job. If the Sun is also to be believed there is no compensation if its another international job.

46 minutes ago, fringo said:

Why would he leave his job as manager of his own country to manage another country ?

He'll either stay as N Ireland manager or go to a half decent club job.

26 minutes ago, bossman4 said:

More money and even by the admision of a lot of NI fans over here he’s taken them as far as he can. Brunt, McAuley and Hughes will all retire for a start. He will no doubt see the Scotland job as a new challange with much bigger resources

As Bossman says, i think there'll be a realisation that there's no more he can do. With the 3 mentioned above likely to retire and their side ageing in other positions, his job is getting more difficult. 

He'd have the chance to come here and work with better players, where achieving what he has with NI would be seen as an incredible success.