Dejan Mc Gregor/Croaotia vs Greece. - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dejan Mc Gregor/Croaotia vs Greece.

Was at Croatia`s WC Play Off home match against Greece on Thursday past.

Met with Dejan who is the secretary of the Croatian TA . Sporting his kilt and other Scottish paraphernalia he asked that his regards be passed to all troops.

Also met up with other Croatian fans. All of them take a keen interest in Scotland and were very disappointed re Slovenia game.

Their hospitality was something else.

As for Greece game. Croatia won in canter . Greece are hopeless. I`m sure we would have given the Croats a better game. 

13 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Indeed. Although the hypocrites on here embrace it as long as it's Scotland who are being supported.

There’s actually a Scottish weirdo now who wears a Sweden top to our games since he started hanging out with those Swedish lassies.  :blink:

What the fvck has happened to us as fans? :worried:

21 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Indeed. Although the hypocrites on here embrace it as long as it's Scotland who are being supported.

There must be a full moon on the cards tonight as I'm going to have to agree with you.

Scottish people who frequent Ibrox and Parkhead that prefer England and Ireland get it tight on here constantly, and rightly so IMO

Not that I've got anything against people following who they want

Edited by DoonTheSlope

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Scottish people who frequent Ibrox and Parkhead that prefer England and Ireland get it tight on here constantly, and rightly so IMO

I think that’s slightly different.

I doubt the Croatian guy wants Croatia to lose??

Scottish folk who hate the national team and support England/Ireland/Northern Ireland as part of some sort of misguided herd mentality are most definitely “for the watching” folk who have taken a notion to another country and reckon that makes them a bit of a character are pretty harmless in comparison.

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

There must be a full moon on the cards tonight as I'm going to have to agree with you.

Young girl that cleans the office I work in was empying the bins on the day of the Slovakia game. She is interested in football so someone asked her if she was watching the game that night. 

‘No’ she says , ‘ I dont like Scotland’, I like ‘ Northern Ireland’.

The guy asked her if she was Norn Irish or if her family were , ‘ no ‘ she replied. 

He then asked her why she didnt like Scotland  . 

‘  Cos I am a Rangers supporter’ she replied. 

It actually made me feel quite sad. I could have accepted it more if she had just said we were pish. 

23 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Young girl that cleans the office I work in was empying the bins on the day of the Slovakia game. She is interested in football so someone asked her if she was watching the game that night. 

The guy asked her if she was Norn Irish or if her family were , ‘ no ‘ she replied. 

It actually made me feel quite sad. I could have accepted it more if she had just said we were pish. 

It's OK, she is an utter moron so her opinion doesn't matter. 👍

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Nae wonder their club died when tens of thousands of them who pack out the Hunnery every fortnight are this stupid.

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

A more honest answer would be that she was brought up a bitter bigot, in a family of bitter bigots, but then most bigots I’ve encountered are able to justify it to themselves and get quite affronted if someone calls them out on it.

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It's OK, she is an utter moron so her opinion doesn't matter. 👍

She is just a young girl , hopefully she changes her mind as she gets older. As sbcmfc said, its a misguided herd instinct, not a phrase that can be associated with you  RB 👍

5 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

A more honest answer would be that she was brought up a bitter bigot, in a family of bitter bigots, but then most bigots I’ve encountered are able to justify it to themselves and get quite affronted if someone calls them out on it.

Yes , thats another possibilty ! 😬

On 12/11/2017 at 5:40 PM, sbcmfc said:

I think that’s slightly different.

I doubt the Croatian guy wants Croatia to lose??

Scottish folk who hate the national team and support England/Ireland/Northern Ireland as part of some sort of misguided herd mentality are most definitely “for the watching” folk who have taken a notion to another country and reckon that makes them a bit of a character are pretty harmless in comparison.

This just tells me that some people will always make excuses when their argument is flawed.

You're from Croatia/Sweden with no links to Scotland whatsoever? Welcome aboard.

You have Irish grandparents and choose to play for Ireland but were born in Scotland? Plastic Paddy, traitor scum!!!

1 minute ago, Scotland Ever More said:

You have Irish grandparents and choose to play for Ireland but were born in Scotland? Plastic Paddy, traitor scum!!!

I quite like the RoI, I’m not a fan of Martin O’neill or his style of football, but generally want them to do well when watching them at tournaments.

Goes back to Tommy Coyne being the 1st Motherwell player to go to a World Cup in 1994.

I think folk have a problem with likes of McGeady and McCarthy because they see more in their reasons, I don’t know their full stories, so don’t know their full reasons for choosing Ireland.

Likes of Coyne, Coyle and Houghton were never on the radar for Scotland and chose RoI later in their careers which seems fair enough, McGeady and McCarthy would be in Scotland squads, which is another reason it annoys folk.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I quite like the RoI, I’m not a fan of Martin O’neill or his style of football, but generally want them to do well when watching them at tournaments.

Goes back to Tommy Coyne being the 1st Motherwell player to go to a World Cup in 1994.

I think folk have a problem with likes of McGeady and McCarthy because they see more in their reasons, I don’t know their full stories, so don’t know their full reasons for choosing Ireland.

Likes of Coyne, Coyle and Houghton were never on the radar for Scotland and chose RoI later in their careers which seems fair enough, McGeady and McCarthy would be in Scotland squads, which is another reason it annoys folk.

I should have stated that I was making more of a general statement rather than talking about you specifically, but my point still very much stands.

My take on it is that it's weird to support anyone other than your home nation, I can just about understand folk having a "second" national team if they have a family connection or if they lived there for a period of time, but not supporting them over your own country.

Foreigners like the Swedes just follow us simply because they love the party rather than the team though, although in fairness that also applies to a lot of our own Scottish born fans too.

1 minute ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Foreigners like the Swedes just follow us simply because they love the party rather than the team though, although in fairness that also applies to a lot of our own Scottish born fans too.

Yes, particularly the 2nd part.

2 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

My take on it is that it's weird to support anyone other than your home nation, I can just about understand folk having a "second" national team if they have a family connection or if they lived there for a period of time, but not supporting them over your own country.

Not everyone is as nationalistic (I mean that in the good way) as some Scottish fans are and that includes some of our own countrymen. I have a fair few mates who have no interest in the national team.

I am mates with most of the lads from the North of Italy Tartan Army, Italian lads who follow Scotland and who have done so for a number of years, 10+ in many cases. Firstly, not many of them feel particularly "Italian". Its still quite a new and fragmented country, they come from the North and North E

Guest BlueGaz
On 12/11/2017 at 6:50 PM, Ormond said:

Nae wonder their club died when tens of thousands of them who pack out the Hunnery every fortnight are this stupid.

Aye, nae wonder. 

As I was saying before the board cut me off!

I am mates with most of the lads from the North of Italy Tartan Army, Italian lads who follow Scotland and who have done so for a number of years, 10+ in many cases. Firstly, not many of them feel particularly "Italian". Its still quite a new and fragmented country, they come from the North and North East, some are active supporters for the independence for Veneto campaign and they don't actively support the Italian national team.

Why Scotland then? Well in many cases they actually like, or possibly that should be liked, the Scottish/Tartan Army level of support and atmosphere, it appeals to them and they felt it actually represented a bit of what you see at Italian club level supports. It possibly wouldn't be the same case now as as our support only seems to rouse itself on the odd occasion but when the lads across there started we actually had cracking away supports and pretty good home levels of support.

As said, many see supporting their national team as a natural extension of where they were born but I am sure there are decent numbers who don't make that same link, both in Scotland and overseas.

On 12/11/2017 at 3:56 PM, Ormond said:

There’s actually a Scottish weirdo now who wears a Sweden top to our games since he started hanging out with those Swedish lassies.  :blink:

What the fvck has happened to us as fans? :worried:

I know him lol. Just trying to get his Nat King. The Swedish birds met up with a load of TA in Malta when on holiday there and have been coming over for games ever since. Nowt wrong with it as far as I can see 😉

25 minutes ago, slasher said:

I know him lol. Just trying to get his Nat King. The Swedish birds met up with a load of TA in Malta when on holiday there and have been coming over for games ever since. Nowt wrong with it as far as I can see 😉

Strange weirdos.