Hampden - stay or go? - Page 2 - Scotland Home Games - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

DizzyVizion

Stay, rebuild, upgrade transport links all good. 

Understand that people want to walk to the ground in 2 mins but mon te fk! makin a mountain out of a molehill. Sno that difficult te get to! getting away is a bit of a pain but these things can be addressed. 

Hampden is our home and I love it but would just like to upgrade the stadium to a decent purpose built fitba stadium that would suit us better. Something a lot closer to the pitch, if we pushed the stands in closer we'd have a mad atmosphere! I think something along the lines of Tynecastle but bigger obviously. 

If it wasn't for the b*****d unionists we might have had a chance of hosting a tournament in the recent past and we'd have had a hefty stadia and transport link upgrade already. 

2 hours ago, Shotts56 said:

Stay.

There are four train stations around Hampden, its half a mile from a motorway, and a 30 min walk from the biggest train station in the UK outside London.  Not sure what better transport links people want.

Do you travel to matches from Fife?

People are being overly critical of Hampden. It certainly is NOT a shitehole. It is on FIFA list of premier stadiums hence it has hosted Champions League and other European club finals. Those awards don't come to shitehole of stadiums. This is the chief reason why I cannot see money being iinvested in it as - to outside observers it doesn't need or merit spending on it.

Now to us, the fans that go to the matches there we crave a slightly bigger capacity and stands nearer to the pitch but for the reasons I stated above that just is not going to happen unless external funding comes and if the SFA were to buy Hampden.

The only valid criticism of Hampden is the distance behind the goal but other grounds have issues as well.

Celtic has bigger issues. Pillars in the old main stand which make the majority of the away end seats useless as you can hardly see any of the game. I think the upper deck of the stand opposite to the main stand also has pillars. At least with Hampden you can see the whole pitch.

Can't remember if Ibrox has pillars or not but I can't imagine us playing games at Ibrox but not Parkhead.

Murrayfield is good for the Rugby but with the pitch dimensions for football you could have the ends behind the goal similar distance as Hampden. Also due to a proper running track the main stand at Murrayfield is probably further from the pitch than Hampden is.

My mate said it was horrendous getting a tram back from Murrayfield on Saturday, even after going to the pub for an hour to let the crowd disperse.  I suspect playing football internationals there would create similar transport complaints to those experienced at Hampden...

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

My mate said it was horrendous getting a tram back from Murrayfield on Saturday, even after going to the pub for an hour to let the crowd disperse.  I suspect playing football internationals there would create similar transport complaints to those experienced at Hampden...

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/aberdeen-rail-passengers-after-hundreds-struggle-to-get-home-from-murrayfield/

A lot better view at Hampden than I've had at many away games.   Admittedly from N or S stands here versus stuck way up high, way down low , in a corner or behind a net overseas.   Worst for me was the game at the Emirates, where I had a letterbox view under a stand behind a goal.

N stand effectively has safe standing too as it's not dangerously steep like some places.   Could that be formalised?

Perhaps some work could be done to pull in the E, W stands as previously suggested.

Stay but we need to get the builders in again and bring those stands much closer to the pitch.

At some point in the next ten years I'm confident that UEFA will accept the growing demand for safe standing areas to be introduced at international games. That would really improve Hampden.

17 hours ago, SpiderAlba said:

Stay but we need to get the builders in again and bring those stands much closer to the pitch.

At some point in the next ten years I'm confident that UEFA will accept the growing demand for safe standing areas to be introduced at international games. That would really improve Hampden.

Most of hampden stands pretty safely as it is. So not convinced that will make much of a difference.

While bringing the west and east stand in a bit sounds good, I don’t think it’s mission critical and would much rather see money going towards player development. 

Id much rather watch a winning Scotland playing in a shite hole (which hampden is far from) than watch a losing Scotland playing in a half empty modern show stadium.

Update

Go 4

Stay 22

So, it appears rather obvious - Hampden is the historic and iconic home of the worlds oldest national team and should forever remain so...

Regan, go fuck yourself pal!

Edited by DizzyVizion

• 3 weeks later...