What was the point in that match? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What was the point in that match?

GaryWood34

Was there any at all? I am seriously struggling.

We didn't have a manager.

The manager we did have had no chance of getting the job, as revealed before kick off. 

We got beat so it'll effect our ranking.

We played zero strikers.

A scotman will be remember being roundly booed on his national team debut.

We had a bit of confidence from a long unbeaten run brought to a drab boring lifeless soulless end.

1 hour ago, GaryWood34 said:

Was there any at all? I am seriously struggling.

We didn't have a manager.

The manager we did have had no chance of getting the job, as revealed before kick off. 

We got beat so it'll effect our ranking.

We played zero strikers.

A scotman will be remember being roundly booed on his national team debut.

We had a bit of confidence from a long unbeaten run brought to a drab boring lifeless soulless end.

There was plenty of point in it

Some players showed they can step up. I would like Fraser to get more of a run. And mcginn looked decent. I'mlooking forward to the start of the real games next year. Hope we get our manager soon. Got the makings of a decent side. But need our best players . Tierney was outstanding last night.

I must admit in did think while watching the game this is prehaps the most irrelevant national game ever in terms of neither team has a competitive game for 9 months, neither has a manager that will be manager in a couple of months time.

However i think there is always a point in an international game as some value must be gained from it being the game or the training leading to the game. Good experience for Christie and McGregor also we tried a few new players out and different players in different roles. 

It was very worthwhile. It showed we have players who can play in various positions if needs be, not wanting them played out of position for the sake of it mind. It shows we have another capable RB

It also gave some players a wee bit more experience and it wouldn't have done any harm playing against top class players

We'll have learnt more last night than we've learned in the last 3 years worth of wee chicken baws' friendlies 

11 hours ago, bonzo said:

The point of the match was a marketing ploy to sell the new strip. 

A proper marketing campaign on TV, in the press and on social media would have sorted that surely? 

I would normally agree with the ‘there’s no such thing as a meaningless game’ argument but when you don’t have a permanent manager in place and when your caretaker manager makes some bizarre decisions what have we really gotten out of the game?

Do we really think the new manager will pay attention to anything that happened on Thursday?

I suppose he’ll know that Phillips shouldn’t be played as a centre forward but then I could have told him that on Wednesday. 

A. it gave us a game to watch which is always better than watching other teams playing because we've chosen not to

B. it's really important for every player who took part - they have a first or another cap to their name against a famous international side and are now a little more familiar and comfortable with being part of the side. 

I really can't fathom anyone who would want us to not play.

Maybe Dodge the odd friendly if we're teetering between rankings pots at a critical time before a draw, or if we're really low in confidence and can't find a side we're likely to be able to match up to... But in every other scenario, play - every date that is available. Passing up dates is like being a wee kid hiding on the wing because they're too scared to get involved.

Edited by Rude Gullit

2 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

A. it gave us a game to watch which is always better than watching other teams playing because we've chosen not to

B. it's really important for every player who took part - they have a first or another cap to their name against a famous international side and are now a little more familiar and comfortable with being part of the side. 

I really can't fathom anyone who would want us to not play.

Maybe Dodge the odd friendly if we're teetering between rankings pots at a critical time before a draw, or if we're really low in confidence and can't find a side we're likely to be able to match up to... But in every other scenario, play - every date that is available. Passing up dates is like being a wee kid hiding on the wing because they're too scared to get involved.

Totally agree. Surely we all being scotland fans want to see us actually play. 

Ridiculous post.

The freshening up of the team & the new caps itself are plenty reason to have the game.

The bigger question should be, why only one game? 

A monday/Tuesday friendly v a weaker team would have been the perfect chance to get more caps under the belts of the young players.

”what was the point of that game” - Give me a break 😂😂😂

34 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Ridiculous post.

The freshening up of the team & the new caps itself are plenty reason to have the game.

The bigger question should be, why only one game? 

A monday/Tuesday friendly v a weaker team would have been the perfect chance to get more caps under the belts of the young players.

”what was the point of that game” - Give me a break 😂😂😂

Absolutely. Not sure how many other teams only had one game during this window display, but I bet it's a small minority.

The players were gathered, so why not keep them together and work on the findings of game 1 with a game 2.

Hoping the new manager kicks this arrogant behaviour into touch.