Kieran Tierney at CB? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kieran Tierney at CB?

Shaun

In my humble opinion, Kieran Tierney was immense at centre half tonight so that is an option for whoever is going to be next manager ;).

So for centre half we now have Tierney, Berra, Mulgrew, Martin and Hanley.

Slightly disappointed we didn't get a look at Paul Hanlon or Liam Cooper tonight to see if either or one of them could have been added to the list of capable centre backs.

Ideally I'd like to see both him and Roberton down the same side but it's good to have options

Last month we didn't have a right back at all and now we have Patterson and Jack who can play there

Wee Chicken Baws should have been picking squads and starting elevens similar to last night ages ago

Tierney is getting towards world class. His timing in the tackle is incredible. He could also play in central midfield. We need to see Robertson played further forward so an informed decision can be made. For Tierney at centre half he’ll need a tall partner and yet I think McRorie looks likely to be challenging for a position soon and he’s no giant (but he can also play midfield). 

51 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'd play him in front of Tierney, he's better offensively than he is defending anyway.

Fair enough.

Agree you need to play your best players in their best positions, we’re just unfortunate that 2 of our best players play the same position.

Tierney had a good game, but should be at left back with Robertson ahead of him. What a threat that left side would pose, while Robertson would provide the kind of protection that most fullbacks dream of.

I was surprised we saw nothing of Hanlon given how Mackay had been bigging him up, but oh well. We have Liam LIndsey still to come into the squad as well so I think we'll be ok with the pool we have, despite Berra not being great last night.

You could probably play this lad in most positions and he'd do a good job. I do have a sneaky suspicion he could end up playing further up the pitch in a more attacking sense as he is clever and its obvious he had a cannon in that left peg. I'd be suprised if Rogers  hasnt pondered this. agreed, have to play both him and robbo as he brings so much as well. Robbo has to sort out his club situation pronto though.

21 minutes ago, JECK said:

You could probably play this lad in most positions and he'd do a good job. I do have a sneaky suspicion he could end up playing further up the pitch in a more attacking sense as he is clever and its obvious he had a cannon in that left peg. I'd be suprised if Rogers  hasnt pondered this. agreed, have to play both him and robbo as he brings so much as well. Robbo has to sort out his club situation pronto though.

The problem is, do we have two centre halfs good enough if Tierney isn’t one of them? If we did then he’d be at left back with Robertson in front of him. 

Tierney in defensive mid is an interesting one. He's got the engine, and the awareness for it. I'm not sure he has the close control or right foot to do it well tho. There were a few time last night where he got the ball and turned like a cruise ship to get it on his left foot. At the back he has that time, in midfield he wouldn't.

He's only 20, and he's looking like a top end defender. I'd let him persist at that for a while.

14 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The problem is, do we have two centre halfs good enough if Tierney isn’t one of them? If we did then he’d be at left back with Robertson in front of him. 

In a nutshell.   

17 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

That's what we were hoping to find out from this friendly.. but instead we played Tierney at centerback.

We have options.

For me Mulgrew's the best centerback we have right now. He's decent in the air, good on the floor and experienced enough to know whee to be and when.

Berra's a bit erratic. Some games he's solid, other's he's kinda dodgy. He's also 33 in a couple of months so should be the one we're looking to replace.

Hanley may have dropped back down to the Championship, but he's still a bench player, so until he's playing regularly it feels like he'd be risky (as he's shown he is awful rusty when not playing).

Russell Martin still exists and seems to be ahead of Hanley. Was 1st choice and captain at Norwich until an injury that he's just recovered from.

Liam Lindsey seems to be the glaringly obvious choice that Mackay overlooked. Playing regularly and well in the Championship after a really good season at Firhill. Looks very much like a player we should be fast tracking.

Liam Cooper is regular and Captain for Leeds. Not sure I trust him, as he seems to have temperament issues, but Leeds are a decent team so me must have something about him.

So for me there's a pool of 6 immediately 'ready' players that we should be choosing our 4 from for each squad. Sure, there are youngsters like McCrorie and Harry Souttar who will come into the reckoning in the future, but right now we have those 6. 2 need to be tried in upcoming games and we need to form a partnership. Lindsey or Cooper along side Mulgrew seems the sensible things to do to me. Let's hope the next manager does it.

IMO, he's now a Scottish centre-half (and captain) until we find someone else good enough to play there. He's a class act and I don't buy into the idea that players must be played in their best positions. Im happy to play players where they bring most value to the overall team effort - insisting on sticking him at left back only to play a weaker player in the middle is self-defeating. And Robertson is a promising prospect, especially in attack, but his final ball and crossing isn't as good as some people suggest - not convinced he's the right choice for a left-wing place just yet.

Early days though - must continue to test these younger players and see how they hold up. We started the last campaign with Russell Martin and Grant Hanley as our centre halves. Having Tierney emerge as a serious long term replacement in this position is fantastic news. We've also got an opportunity to assess serious replacements at right back meaning that we have a really promising defensive line for the next few campaigns. Having that platform is a great start. Insisting Tierney moves out left instantly causes us more problems.

On another note, Robertson seriously needs to get game time even if it's a lone move.

1 hour ago, Auld_Reekie said:

IMO, he's now a Scottish centre-half (and captain) until we find someone else good enough to play there. He's a class act and I don't buy into the idea that players must be played in their best positions. Im happy to play players where they bring most value to the overall team effort - insisting on sticking him at left back only to play a weaker player in the middle is self-defeating. And Robertson is a promising prospect, especially in attack, but his final ball and crossing isn't as good as some people suggest - not convinced he's the right choice for a left-wing place just yet.

Early days though - must continue to test these younger players and see how they hold up. We started the last campaign with Russell Martin and Grant Hanley as our centre halves. Having Tierney emerge as a serious long term replacement in this position is fantastic news. We've also got an opportunity to assess serious replacements at right back meaning that we have a really promising defensive line for the next few campaigns. Having that platform is a great start. Insisting Tierney moves out left instantly causes us more problems.

On another note, Robertson seriously needs to get game time even if it's a lone move.

Tierney would undoubtedly bring most value to the team as a left back. Your following sentence explains exactly why he should be there as he does what Robertson doesn't further up the park.

Overall I am not a fan of Robertson. He's decent, but nothing more than that IMO, he's a bit suss defensively and is usually described as "good going forward", usually the death knell for full backs. And to be honest he isn't actually that good going forward as he doesn't give the same attacking threat/delivery as Tierney does.

Last night should have seen either or both of Cooper and Hanlon getting some game time. Its our weakest position and we need options there, options which then don't weaken the team by playing one of our biggest assets there because no one else is better.

4 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Last night should have seen either or both of Cooper and Hanlon getting some game time. Its our weakest position and we need options there, options which then don't weaken the team by playing one of our biggest assets there because no one else is better.

Agreed - it was a complete wasted opportunity. 60 mins was enough to see what Berra and Tierney could do, then we should have experimented further with Cooper and Hanlon (and in other positions). 

We could have played 5 subs, but we played 3 and one was with 3 mins to go!!

Guest BlueGaz
11 hours ago, Shaun said:

In my humble opinion, Kieran Tierney was immense at centre half tonight so that is an option for whoever is going to be next manager ;).

So for centre half we now have Tierney, Berra, Mulgrew, Martin and Hanley.

Slightly disappointed we didn't get a look at Paul Hanlon or Liam Cooper tonight to see if either or one of them could have been added to the list of capable centre backs.

Would always play Tierney at LB, however, he is good cover for CB if required.  But we would get the best out of him up and down the wing IMO.

Like most I'd like to see tierney and Robertson down the left. Id also like to get mccrorie in the team for the next campaign (currently keeping a Portuguese international out the team). Don't see any harm in starting him and McKenna who looks promising in the first game of the next campaign as they can't be any worse than going with mulgrew a league 1 player and Berra, a player playing in a struggling mid table Scottish premiership team. I honestly think that this is our golden generation starting and I'm going to predict we will make it to the next euros comfortably. 

On 10/11/2017 at 1:06 PM, PASTA Mick said:

I wish folk would stop talking about Cooper getting game time. He is rank. Utter rank. 

In my opinion championship players are overhyped. I honestly believe we were let down by players playing in the championship and premier league in the last campaign. Our standouts were the 6 Celtic players and Robertson.