Kieran Tierney at CB? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kieran Tierney at CB?

Shaun

1 hour ago, Ak91 said:

Like most I'd like to see tierney and Robertson down the left. Id also like to get mccrorie in the team for the next campaign (currently keeping a Portuguese international out the team). Don't see any harm in starting him and McKenna who looks promising in the first game of the next campaign as they can't be any worse than going with mulgrew a league 1 player and Berra, a player playing in a struggling mid table Scottish premiership team. I honestly think that this is our golden generation starting and I'm going to predict we will make it to the next euros comfortably. 

I’m giving McKenna the benefit of the doubt as he’s a big aggressive type who could be useful. Time will tell if he has good enough ability on the ball for international football. There are a few contenders emerging although maybe not for the next campaign. Harry Souttar and Jamie McCart are two. McRorie looks promising and John Souttar is getting better.

On 11/13/2017 at 7:10 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Awful lot of ifs and buts in this topic but for me the opposition is the main concern. Can't join the Robertson out of position group so the only way I could play him is if Tierney plays out of position.

Just curious, why would you not want to move Robertson out of position, but would want to move Tierney out of position?

4 hours ago, andyD said:

Just curious, why would you not want to move Robertson out of position, but would want to move Tierney out of position?

Probably because we don't currently have a top class right back ?

Patterson may become that player soon hopefully.

8 hours ago, andyD said:

I think Tierney can play right back against poor/average opposition if needed. I think he has proved himself on the left hand side of the central three of a back five if we need to play that against better opposition. His best position is of course left back but over recent games he has missed out on playing there as Robertson is more than capable of doing that job allowing him to play out of position for the good of the team. Don't know if Robertson can play out of position but Tierney is a far better all round player.

Interestingly was talking football at work and they guy I was talking to said with no prompting that Robertson should play left back and Tierney left mid, which might be a good option if we can fill the other positions Tierney is covering.

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think Tierney can play right back against poor/average opposition if needed. I think he has proved himself on the left hand side of the central three of a back five if we need to play that against better opposition. His best position is of course left back but over recent games he has missed out on playing there as Robertson is more than capable of doing that job allowing him to play out of position for the good of the team. Don't know if Robertson can play out of position but Tierney is a far better all round player.

Interestingly was talking football at work and they guy I was talking to said with no prompting that Robertson should play left back and Tierney left mid, which might be a good option if we can fill the other positions Tierney is covering.

I can't remember if it was someone on TV or someone posting here but whoever it was reckoned Tierney is such a top class player he could play in almost any position.

I'd tend to agree with that. Possibly the best Scottish player in terms of European/world class in the last 20 years.

We don't have much depth in defense so him filling other positions like RB or CB improves the team whilst Robertson is top class as LB.

We do have quite a few reasonably decent midfielders which means Robertson playing there is a loss to our weak defense.

7 hours ago, fringo said:

I can't remember if it was someone on TV or someone posting here but whoever it was reckoned Tierney is such a top class player he could play in almost any position.

I'd tend to agree with that. Possibly the best Scottish player in terms of European/world class in the last 20 years.

We don't have much depth in defense so him filling other positions like RB or CB improves the team whilst Robertson is top class as LB.

We do have quite a few reasonably decent midfielders which means Robertson playing there is a loss to our weak defense.

You said it a lot better than I did, I am trying to avoid the phrase world class though!

Fair enough. I guess I'm just thinking that we have 2 top players on the left. They both run by people and they can both deliver a ball, and of the two Tierney is probably the slightly more solid defensively. The prospect of them linking up on the left seems excellent to me, and should be something we try sooner rather than later.

As for centerback, Mulgrew is good enough right now, he'd be the likely partner even if we played Tierney in there. But we do need to replace Mulgrew and Berra at some point in the next few years as they're both past 30. So blooding someone like Liam Lindsay along side him now seems like a good way forward.

To my mind, it's fine Tierney filling in when it's vital. But we need depth at centerback, and we're not going to get that if we play Tierney with Berra or Mulgrew in friendlies. We need to be fast-tracking people like Lindsay or McKenna or Harry Souttar. Get them involved, give them opportunities in friendlies or 'easy' qualifiers. Because we need long term solutions for that position. I guess that was my main frustration with Tierney and Berra starting against the Netherlands.. it fills the gap for that game, but doesn't feel like a long term solution.

If we want to make Tierney a CB for us long term, then play we have to play someone younger next to him, because we need that back up/future. else we'll end up with Berra, Mulgrew and Martin all retiring about the same time and then have Tierney and Hanley as the only CBs with caps. To me it'd be better to have an old hand guiding the new, put someone in with Mulgrew and see how they do.

Left mid's not actually overstocked for us. We can invert players, but that's about it. Fraser, Forrest, Phillips, Burke, Christie, Snod are all right footed and normally play down the right. In terms of left footers, McKay and Russell are the only two i can think of. Both decent, but I can't help but think Robertson would be better and offer more protection to the fullback in games where we need that.

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Fair enough. I guess I'm just thinking that we have 2 top players on the left. They both run by people and they can both deliver a ball, and of the two Tierney is probably the slightly more solid defensively. The prospect of them linking up on the left seems excellent to me, and should be something we try sooner rather than later.

As for centerback, Mulgrew is good enough right now, he'd be the likely partner even if we played Tierney in there. But we do need to replace Mulgrew and Berra at some point in the next few years as they're both past 30. So blooding someone like Liam Lindsay along side him now seems like a good way forward.

To my mind, it's fine Tierney filling in when it's vital. But we need depth at centerback, and we're not going to get that if we play Tierney with Berra or Mulgrew in friendlies. We need to be fast-tracking people like Lindsay or McKenna or Harry Souttar. Get them involved, give them opportunities in friendlies or 'easy' qualifiers. Because we need long term solutions for that position. I guess that was my main frustration with Tierney and Berra starting against the Netherlands.. it fills the gap for that game, but doesn't feel like a long term solution.

If we want to make Tierney a CB for us long term, then play we have to play someone younger next to him, because we need that back up/future. else we'll end up with Berra, Mulgrew and Martin all retiring about the same time and then have Tierney and Hanley as the only CBs with caps. To me it'd be better to have an old hand guiding the new, put someone in with Mulgrew and see how they do.

Left mid's not actually overstocked for us. We can invert players, but that's about it. Fraser, Forrest, Phillips, Burke, Christie, Snod are all right footed and normally play down the right. In terms of left footers, McKay and Russell are the only two i can think of. Both decent, but I can't help but think Robertson would be better and offer more protection to the fullback in games where we need that.

The problem is we need a decent right back and central defenders to appear. Robertson is an international class left back and Tierney recently has been our best option at right back and central defence. Probably our best option at centre forward too if Griffiths and Phillips are out.;)

The more I think about it though the more I would prefer Tierney left mid and Robertson left back

16 hours ago, andyD said:

This.

Mulgrew and Berra have done well in the last year but they are now well into their 30s. They maybe have one more campaign more in them (at most) as Berra is almost 33 now and Mulgrew will be 32 by the time our next match comes around. We have to be looking to the next generation now and looking at giving match time to Lindsay, Cooper, McKenna, McRorie and Souttar. Tierney at centre-back is still a possible but by no means certain so we need to decide on what are our best options going forward. 

15 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

The problem is we need a decent right back and central defenders to appear. Robertson is an international class left back and Tierney recently has been our best option at right back and central defence. Probably our best option at centre forward too if Griffiths and Phillips are out.;)

The more I think about it though the more I would prefer Tierney left mid and Robertson left back

Paterson has looked good in his handful of caps so far. I would have no worries about him as the starting right back and I'd absolutely put him in ahead of Tierney as he offers more going forward that Tierney does when he's on the right. Jack's shown he can do the defensive side of things, Martin still exists and played right back most of his career, Bardsley still exists, Anya's still around, and Ralston's coming thru, so there's enough cover should Paterson get another knock.

Tierney at center forward? meh, why not! :D