Why Has Phillips played every minute of the last 4 games ? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Why Has Phillips played every minute of the last 4 games ?

2 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

Phillips has all the attributes you’d want, probably most importantly pace. On ability he should be in the squad no doubt.  I don’t think he’d be getting the stick on here he does if he was Scottish. 

Don't disagree with that assessment.

On 11/13/2017 at 7:16 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Wish there was a few better players than Matt Ritchie in the SPL (SPFL for those of limited intelligence and cant work out what the SPL is meant to mean)

It's no the SPFL anymore either is it? Scottish Premiership now. ;)

On 13 November 2017 at 9:07 PM, Paulo2576 said:

Phillips has all the attributes you’d want, probably most importantly pace. On ability he should be in the squad no doubt.  I don’t think he’d be getting the stick on here he does if he was Scottish. 

That's pretty insulting to most of the people on this thread !

As far as I am concerned he is Scottish if he plays for the National team .

The problem is , having watched him live over the 4 games he has played  he is just not very good .  I was never a great fan of James Forrest ,but I would play him any day (or Ryan Fraser) before Phillips .  

17 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

That's pretty insulting to most of the people on this thread !

As far as I am concerned he is Scottish if he plays for the National team .

The problem is , having watched him live over the 4 games he has played  he is just not very good .  I was never a great fan of James Forrest ,but I would play him any day (or Ryan Fraser) before Phillips .  

He has played for England under 19/21’s. As far as I’m concerned he’s not Scottish, merely an Englishman not good enough to play for his own country and has identified Scotland as a route into international football and a means of improving his cv. Meanwhile young Scottish lads like Ryan Fraser/johnnny Russel can’t play for their country. I think that it is insulting to them. 

18 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

He has played for England under 19/21’s. As far as I’m concerned he’s not Scottish, merely an Englishman not good enough to play for his own country and has identified Scotland as a route into international football and a means of improving his cv. Meanwhile young Scottish lads like Ryan Fraser/johnnny Russel can’t play for their country. I think that it is insulting to them. 

Not sure if we are agreeing or not , you seem to be contradicting yourself?

You say "Phillips has all the attributes you'd want ".   But Id struggle to give you one thing he did well over the 4 games.  A very average player on the bench for a poor EPL team .

1 hour ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Not sure if we are agreeing or not , you seem to be contradicting yourself?

You say "Phillips has all the attributes you'd want ".   But Id struggle to give you one thing he did well over the 4 games.  A very average player on the bench for a poor EPL team .

I actually think he’s a decent player who has just been rubbish for us. He is athletic too for sure which plays a large part these days unfortunately and I think played a large part in his selection. 

To be honest , I was just setting it up for someone to take the bait on the not Scottish bit so I could get on my soap box. 😀

Meant every word mind!! 

He's worse than fucking James ForrestForrest

I think he's got an attitude and application problem that prevents him making the most of his talent. If he didn't though he wouldn't be playing for us, having sulked off when England under-21's wouldn't pick him and Levein took him out to Mcdonalds for dinner. I don't think we gain a lot by picking these types anyway, there's Scottish options just as good or more effective.

58 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

He had a really good game at Wembley yesterday. Interesting how he does under Pardew who likes pacy wingers.

I know he's not a favourite on this forum but I wonder how he'd do as a right wing back in a 3-5-2, would probably offer more going forward than Anya.

Is it Pardew for WBA then? Would hope Burke will get a lookin as well if that's the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i was not only staggered that Phillips played every minute of the final qualifiers, i was amazed he played even ONE minute. He contributed nothing from what i saw. 

And incidentally, whilst i am happy for anyone who has the correct Scottish ancestry being selected (if good enough of course!), in the era of multi-national qualification, i think once a player has been selected at any level by one of his possible countries then he should NOT be allowed to play for any other country.  FIFA should bring that in as a rule.