Booing your own players - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Booing your own players

Squirrelhumper

8 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

I'm fine with that. Don't even miss him, but he still should have treated the club better.

I won't miss McLean either.

(McInnes I'd miss though.)

Why should he have treated the club better? 

He left a small football club (in real  terms) when his contract expired and went to a bigger one. Anyone would have done the same. 

Do you think he should have signed a new contract so Rangers (or another club) would need to have bought him? Is that not dishonest in its own way?

People who bleat on about footballers being disloyal should remember that their clubs are only their employers at the end of the day. Each footballer has to look after themselves and their families  in the best way they see fit. If that upsets a few knuckle draggers in the stands then so be it. 

Having said all that, as an Aberdeen fan, you are perfectly entitled to boo like an eejit when he is playing against Aberdeen. Just keep it away from Scotland games eh?

You and anyone else that boos our players for signing for a different club are an embarrassment are not welcome at our games as far as I’m concerned. 

3 hours ago, DizzyVizion said:

I think it's distasteful.

No Scotland player should ever be booed for reasons of club loyalty - what's good for Scotland is always more important than what's good for Aberdeen, Hibs, Real Madrid, Gala Fairydean, Forres Mechanics etc.

Mmmmmm? 🤔

Country before club man aye?

17 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

Spent over 3 decades in the Tartan Army.

Never booed a single one of our players for anything.

Had I been at Pittodrie yesterday though, Jack would have been my first exception.

Just out of interest, how would you feel about abusing his wife on twitter?

3 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Because no one like you could exist in real life.

And yet many on here can confirm first hand that I do.

3 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Just out of interest, how would you feel about abusing his wife on twitter?

That would be completely out of order.

2 hours ago, DizzyVizion said:

That's perfectly fine.

And I would disagree. How is that helping?

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

It’s a club issue, so should have been kept away from the national team.

The fact it was in Aberdeen shouldn’t make a difference, as it wasn’t an Aberdeen game.

And yet it did.

32 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

And yet it did.

To some Aberdeen fans.

I get Parklifes “understandable” statement, although I think “expected” would be more accurate.

As I don’t understand it, but we all expected it.

I don’t think players should be getting abuse playing for Scotland because of club politics. The fact it was his first trip to Pittodrie is neither here nor there and I struggle to believe if he’d been once with Rangers, it then wouldn’t have happened anyway.

55 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Yeah i just did to be fair lol.

But we're in agreement that booing Scotland players is shite patter?

We’re in agreement that it’s stupid and pointless.

Not something I would do either. I do think folk who’ve paid their money can boo and cheer whoever they like though and that folk who’re using words like “disgrace” are drama queens. 

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I get Parklifes “understandable” statement, although I think “expected” would be more accurate.

As I don’t understand it, but we all expected it.

It wouldn't have been an issue IMHO if Strachan and McGhee hadn't basically ignored the Aberdeen players in their time, and if the game wasn't at Pittodrie.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

I don’t think players should be getting abuse playing for Scotland because of club politics. 

It's not a club (Rangers) issue with me though (just like Goodwillie getting booed by some isn't a club issue).

Edited by Scotty CTA
'Rangers'

43 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

It's not a club (Rangers) issue with me though (just like Goodwillie getting booed by some isn't a club issue).

It is a club issue. You are unhappy about how he left Aberdeen, presumably amplified by the fact it was to go to Rangers.

Goodwillie gets abuse for personal reasons, which is different, as are other examples like Gary McAllister and Chris Martin for performances in a Scotland shirt.

Yes, trying to explain that my issue is with how Jack left Aberdeen (and not which club he went to).

As already stated, I don't miss him, and if he wants to go to a club below us (for 6 plus seasons now) and with existence threatening debt, then I'm good with that.

43 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Goodwillie gets abuse for personal reasons...

My reasons for disapproving of Jack's actions are personal.

I can't respect that level of ingratitude.

45 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

...as are other examples like Gary McAllister and Chris Martin for performances in a Scotland shirt.

Not worthy of booing IMHO.

4 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Yes, trying to explain that my issue is with how Jack left Aberdeen (and not which club he went to).

As already stated, I don't miss him, and if he wants to go to a club below us (for 6 plus seasons now) and with existence threatening debt, then I'm good with that.

My reasons for disapproving of Jack's actions are personal.

I can't respect that level of ingratitude.

Not worthy of booing IMHO.

I’m missing something here. What’s the ingratitude thing about?

has he not just let this contract run down and took up a better offer where he’ll make more money? Signed for the team he supported as a boy too. Hard to see how he can be criticised for this. Must be something more sinister to it than this surely though. 

Everyone feels differently about different issues. It's called opinion.

For what it is worth once a player pulls on a Scotland jersey and is out there on the pitch then they should get unconditional support. Sure if fans have issues with him (over club football) then wait until he plays against your club side and give pelters but not when he is in a jersey of a team you are supposed to be supporting.