Booing your own players - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Booing your own players

Squirrelhumper

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

That last point is spot on.  Hampden has much better public transport connections than any stadium in Scotland, the problem is that Scotrail don't seem to out enough trains on before and after the games to move a large number of people in a short timeframe,.  If I go to Wembley, I tend to take the overground to Wembley Stadium from Marylebone.  For a couple of hours after the game they have extra services going out to Wembley and after the games they stack the trains up and basically once one is filled and leaves the next one comes in.

Personally I walk down to Victoria Road, go for a couple of pints and get a train from Queens Park, pretty easy.

Ditto, agree 100% (and funnily enough do exactly the same post match if Im no on a coach) 

I can understand fowk wanting the game closer to them/their home patch etc but Hampden's our home, it's magic when it's bouncing. I quite enjoy a day out in the Weej, despite the fitba ;) lol

2 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Cathcart is always dead, 15 min walk and yer straight on a train into town or Neilston if youre feeling like a trip back to the 60s.

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Kings Park, Crosshill, Cathcart, Queens Park, Langside, Croftoot and Mount Florida

There's 7 that are 10 mins walk from Hampden.

So save me the bullshit. It's not Hampden's fault that folk walk to Mount Florida like sheep. .

Crossmyloof is also about 20 mins walk which isnt too bad

42 minutes ago, aaid said:

That last point is spot on.  Hampden has much better public transport connections than any stadium in Scotland, the problem is that Scotrail don't seem to out enough trains on before and after the games to move a large number of people in a short timeframe,.  If I go to Wembley, I tend to take the overground to Wembley Stadium from Marylebone.  For a couple of hours after the game they have extra services going out to Wembley and after the games they stack the trains up and basically once one is filled and leaves the next one comes in.

Personally I walk down to Victoria Road, go for a couple of pints and get a train from Queens Park, pretty easy.

I would have to say Ibrox is pretty good tbh. The subway can shift a lot of people fairly quickly and there are 3 stations within a 5 minute walk of Ibrox. After Rangers games it never takes me longer than 30 minutes to get back to queen street and I haven't been able to get close to that from Hampden.

It is also pretty handy for getting onto the Motorway for busses and those with the car (and would be even better if the police managed the traffice with a bit more common sense rather than leaving the traffic lights in their normal cycle).

If Scotrail did pull their finger out and #PlanAhead that they always preach to the public then Hampden would be much better than it currently is. Not just for trains to/from the Stadium but trains to other cities as well. After the England game I was in the queue for about 70 minutes to get a train back to Edinburgh. The train I did get was only 3 coaches and their were hundreds of people behind me and only 1 later train. I have even seen people being left on the Platform at Falkrik High on the way to games.

Edited by theweestevie

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Correct, however I don't think that would change regardless of the stadium in Scotland.

I can only assume those wanting Ibrox, Parkhead or Murrayfield have never been at either when there's been a full house and tried to use public transport.

Parkhead and Murrayfield are walkable from the city centres and even Ibrox is equidistant with Hampden. The transport issue at Hampden is only really bad, in my opinion, with 7:45/8:00 kick-offs, the main problem with Hampden is that it is just a pish stadium.

2 hours ago, robbo cop said:

Oh Dear.......looks like I upset the native weegie. Superior knowledge of train stations in Glasgow, just what I always wanted to know zzzzz. Hampden still a shithole no matter how many stations people reckon are nearby and you will be saying next that all trains go directly into the centre in 5 minutes. Oh dear just because I dared to disagree.:mellow:

I think it's more to do with the fact that you disagreed based on factually incorrect information.

23 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

Parkhead and Murrayfield are walkable from the city centres and even Ibrox is equidistant with Hampden. The transport issue at Hampden is only really bad, in my opinion, with 7:45/8:00 kick-offs, the main problem with Hampden is that it is just a pish stadium.

Depends on your definition of what is the city centre I guess.  Out of interest, I looked on Google Maps for the walking time from each of the Glasgow stadiums to Central - on the basis that's the main railway station.  Ibrox was 45 minutes, Celtic Park 51 minutes and Hampden 53 minutes.   As a comparison I looked at Murrayfield to Waverley and that was 45 minutes.

Obviously Murrayfield and Celtic Park appear closer but that's because you get to the edge of the city centre earlier but in truth there really isn't much difference between any of them. 

11 minutes ago, aaid said:

Depends on your definition of what is the city centre I guess.  Out of interest, I looked on Google Maps for the walking time from each of the Glasgow stadiums to Central - on the basis that's the main railway station.  Ibrox was 45 minutes, Celtic Park 51 minutes and Hampden 53 minutes.   As a comparison I looked at Murrayfield to Waverley and that was 45 minutes.

Obviously Murrayfield and Celtic Park appear closer but that's because you get to the edge of the city centre earlier but in truth there really isn't much difference between any of them. 

I looked at the maps as well but decided not to bore people with the details, there's effectively nothing between them in terms a walking back to the city centre. In my opinion accessibility isn't the issue with Hampden it's just a poor stadium compared to the others being discussed.

1 hour ago, Kirk said:

Cathcart is always dead, 15 min walk and yer straight on a train into town or Neilston if youre feeling like a trip back to the 60s.

Crossmyloof is also about 20 mins walk which isnt too bad

Correct. I stay 2 secs from the Shed and at the Slovenia game I was back in my flat before the after match interviews had finished!

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

Parkhead isn't exactly a short walk though, if it's pissing down it's a good 40+ minutes to Central/Queen and that's assuming you are at right end of the ground.

Like I said, folk overplay the transport issues with Hampden IMO. It doesn't take long to google train stations nearby. I know I'd do that if I was going to a city I wasn't familiar with but I'd bet those moaning have been to Hampden countless times and have never bothered looking for alternatives.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

45 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

I think it's more to do with the fact that you disagreed based on factually incorrect information.

Correct, like I said if he'd dismissed Hampden based on facts I'd have no problem with it but his argument was flawed. Just looked like a rant based on a biased opinion.

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Correct. I stay 2 secs from the Shed and at the Slovenia game I was back in my flat before the after match interviews had finished!

In the interests of keeping a good argument going - I don't believe you. If you can get home in 2 secs from the Shed, you must be living in the Shed toilets, and even that would be good going.:lol:

2 hours ago, Flure said:

I think it's important that we boo players who use different train stations from our favourite one.

There are lots of train stations about Hampden where we could do it.

And buses? Don't get me started on players who change buses. There's feckin' hunners of them.

Buses, that is. Around Hampden.

We could boo them until our lips burst. Players, that is.

I'm just guessing, but I suppose it must be even better if you get on the bus for free?

1 hour ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Parkhead isn't exactly a short walk though, if it's pissing down it's a good 40+ minutes to Central/Queen and that's assuming you are at right end of the ground.

Plus if you're walking back from Hampden in the rain there's a few pubs you can dook into in relative safety, not quite the same options around Parkhead!

13 hours ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Could i ask for an example of a stadium with good transport links if the ones in Glasgow are considered to be bad?

I only mentioned Hampden, but I can get back to the centre of Glasgow quicker anytime I have been at Ibrox or Hampden. Pittodrie is about a 15-20 minute to the town centre and then just a few minutes t the railway station.

Easter road is fairly easy too.

I agree with general point that Hampden isn’t the easiest place to get away from after a game. Parking and getting in/out by road seems to be far worse than any other ground. I wonder if more could be done to manage the traffic on match days?

For those that don’t know better the queue at Mount Florida station is torture, although there are clearly alternatives. (Pub until queue goes down is what I’ve tended to go for).

Falkirk, St Johnstone and Livi are great for that, straight out the car park and on the motorway, although that’s with crowds of 3-4000.

:lol:

13 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I agree with general point that Hampden isn’t the easiest place to get away from after a game. Parking and getting in/out by road seems to be far worse than any other ground. I wonder if more could be done to manage the traffic on match days?

For those that don’t know better the queue at Mount Florida station is torture, although there are clearly alternatives. (Pub until queue goes down is what I’ve tended to go for).

Falkirk, St Johnstone and Livi are great for that, straight out the car park and on the motorway, although that’s with crowds of 3-4000.

:lol:

Last few games we've gone a supporters bus, it parks on the street up beside the International Bar and we usually manage a quickish getaway though if you go by car and park in the Asda car park it cane be hellish getting out.

21 hours ago, aaid said:

Scotrail don't have spare trains sitting doing nothing, they still have a service to run.  The trains are leased therefore it would be foolish to pay for more than is required to run the network.

34 minutes ago, teecee- said:

Scotrail don't have spare trains sitting doing nothing, they still have a service to run.  The trains are leased therefore it would be foolish to pay for more than is required to run the network.

If you can't deal with peaks in service and have no contingency then I'd suggest that you don't have sufficient rolling stock to run the network. 

Looking at trains from Mount Florida to Central, there are seven trains between 8-00 and 9-00, between 22-00 and 23-00 that drops to four trains. 

It's not a lack of rolling stock, it's a lack of imagination and joined up thinking. 

5 hours ago, aaid said:

If you can't deal with peaks in service and have no contingency then I'd suggest that you don't have sufficient rolling stock to run the network. 

Looking at trains from Mount Florida to Central, there are seven trains between 8-00 and 9-00, between 22-00 and 23-00 that drops to four trains. 

It's not a lack of rolling stock, it's a lack of imagination and joined up thinking. 

I would imagine that a lack of drivers and the rail network would be the main issues.

Are you suggesting they put on more overtime to save Scotland fans waiting for 20-30 minutes (that’s all I generally wait to get on a train apart from the last Sunday game we had)? 

Extra trains are already put on for Scotland games. You can’t just turn our rail network into a rapid transit system when it gets busy due to how many trains you can get in and out of Glasgow Central in a given amount of time.

ScotRail deal pretty well with the peak that happens after every game but the reality is when you have anywhere from 15,000-30,000 people wanting to get the train back into the city centre at 9:30 at night, there are going to be queues.