Booing your own players - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Booing your own players

Squirrelhumper

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

I’m missing something here. What’s the ingratitude thing about?

has he not just let this contract run down and took up a better offer where he’ll make more money? Signed for the team he supported as a boy too. Hard to see how he can be criticised for this. Must be something more sinister to it than this surely though. 

He was a player Aberdeen brought through, made captain, stood by through injury and poor form. A captain who lied to the club, the manager, team mates and fans. A captain who left for Aberdeen’s biggest rivals. 

“Hard to see how he can be criticised” if you’re not actually a football fan only. 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He was a player Aberdeen brought through, made captain, stood by through injury and poor form. A captain who lied to the club, the manager, team mates and fans. A captain who left for Aberdeen’s biggest rivals. 

“Hard to see how he can be criticised” if you’re not actually a football fan only. 

Are you suggesting he should have stayed at Aberdeen for his full career because they didn’t sack him for being injured and made him captain? 

I don’t think anyone has a problem with Aberdeen fans disliking what Jack did but nobody was at Pittodrie as an Aberdeen fan on Thursday night. They were supposed to be supporting Scotland, including the right back. 

Could they not have waited until Rangers go to Aberdeen in a couple of weeks?

Luckily it was a meaningless game  and Jack didn’t seem to be affected but it was still a shite thing to do. 

28 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Club stuff still shouldn't be aired at Scotland games,

Booing was pretty disgraceful and no one should be trying to defend or justify it.

1 hour ago, fringo said:

Club stuff still shouldn't be aired at Scotland games.

We didn't deal the cards.

The perfect storm of Jack's first game back at Pittodrie being his first cap wasn't a script written by us.

(Could have easily been avoided if the issue was that important.)

I'm fine with the way things unfolded.

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Are you suggesting he should have stayed at Aberdeen for his full career because they didn’t sack him for being injured and made him captain? 

Nope, not at all.

I don’t think anyone has a problem with Aberdeen fans disliking what Jack did...

Finally.

They were supposed to be supporting Scotland, including the right back. 

Had I been there I would have done both.

(He can't as fragile as you're trying tho make out.)

Malky and staff?

(That's what I'm asking.)

Luckily it was a meaningless game and Jack didn’t seem too be affected...

Exactly.

How important was it to 'blood' Jack in that very game?

(It wasn't important at all truth be known.) 

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I know a Celtic fan who thought Mo Johnston was the devil himself when he ended up at Rangers.

Would still never have hurled abuse at him during a Scotland game though.

9 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

The perfect storm of Jack's first game back at Pittodrie being his first cap wasn't a script written by us.

Nope, not at all.

Finally.

Malky and staff?

Exactly.

Aye whatever you say pal. 

Let me know when you grow up a bit and we can continue this conversation. 

54 minutes ago, Scotty CTA said:

Nope, not at all.

Finally.

Malky and staff?

Exactly.

It was Derek McInnes who told "Malky" to play Jack at right back. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Aye whatever you say pal. 

Let me know when you grow up a bit and we can continue this conversation. 

The grown up in the conversation is the one making his points without the the need for insults.

51 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

It was Derek McInnes who told "Malky" to play Jack at right back. 

I'm fine with him playing RB.

It can be dressed up, excused, called "understandable" or minimalised in any way folk like, but cutting away all the periphrastic commentaries ,one thing that is true is this:-

Scotland fans booed a Scotland player, on his international debut, because of club-related issues.

I don't think that's acceptable in any way, shape or form. Whether or not it has happened in days of yore or not.
It was unacceptable then, and it's unacceptable now.

9 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think anyone has a problem with Aberdeen fans disliking what Jack did but nobody was at Pittodrie as an Aberdeen fan on Thursday night. They were supposed to be supporting Scotland, including the right back. 

Luckily it was a meaningless game  and Jack didn’t seem to be affected but it was still a shite thing to do. 

I never said it was the right thing to do. I merely responded to the “hard to see how he can be criticised” nonsense which someone had posted. 

7 hours ago, Stu101 said:

I know a Celtic fan who thought Mo Johnston was the devil himself when he ended up at Rangers.

Would still never have hurled abuse at him during a Scotland game though.

Cool. I never booed anyone on Thursday and said I wouldn’t either. So not sure what relevance that has to my posts. 

7 hours ago, Scotty CTA said:

The grown up in the conversation is the one making his points without the the need for insults.

It wasn’t really meant as an insult. 

You’re a man in his 50s that thinks it’s ok (and would have joined in) to boo a player and potentially publicly humiliate him because he didn’t want to stay at your little football club and you feel he has wronged them. I think you’re being very immature in this instance and I have stated my opinion.

If you want to take that as an insult then that’s up to you.

2 hours ago, Flure said:

It can be dressed up, excused, called "understandable" or minimalised in any way folk like, but cutting away all the periphrastic commentaries ,one thing that is true is this:-

Scotland fans booed a Scotland player, on his international debut, because of club-related issues.

I don't think that's acceptable in any way, shape or form. Whether or not it has happened in days of yore or not.

I’d say that sums it up quite nicely.

2 hours ago, Parklife said:

I never said it was the right thing to do. I merely responded to the “hard to see how he can be criticised” nonsense which someone had posted. 

You haven’t really said it’s not the right thing to do either.

You have said it was done ‘understandably so’. 

You have also stated that people who have paid their money ‘can boo who they like’.

This means that you condone the behaviour of the morons that booed whether you deny it or not. 

Condone does not mean agree with or support. It means accept or overlook which you clearly appear to do given the excuses you have given for some of your fellow fan’s behaviour. 

It was a disgraceful thing to do to a young player on his debut in my opinion and the behaviour should be condemned, not condoned. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You have also stated that people who have paid their money ‘can boo who they like’.

This means that you condone the behaviour of the morons that booed whether you deny it or not. 

Condone does not mean agree with or support. It means accept or overlook which you clearly appear to do given the excuses you have given for some of your fellow fan’s behaviour. 

It was a disgraceful thing to do to a young player on his debut in my opinion and the behaviour should be condemned, not condoned. 

:ok:

3 hours ago, Flure said:

:ok:

12 hours ago, Parklife said:

Like I said, I was assuming there must be more to it than I knew to justify what happened. Now you’ve elaborated I’m still confused. Every club stands by a player when they’re injured, Aberdeen didn’t do anything out of the ordinary here. If he’s in poor form then it’s dereks job to drop him until he finds good form. Again, jack doing nothing wrong here. Yes he left to your biggest rivals, but also to the club he grew up supporting. It’s maybe hard for fans to accept but perfectly understandable where I’m standing.

The lying bit, this bit I know nothing about and I must therefore assume this is the justification of the idiots for booing him. Complete tools.

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I’ve said it was stupid and pointless, while also stating I wouldn’t do it. That doesn’t constitute condoning it at all. No matter how you try and warp what I’ve said to try and have a go at me for it :lol: 

i do think folk are free to do as they please, as long as they do so within the law. I believe folk are free to do and say as they please. Being in a football stadium doesn’t change that. I don’t think booing someone can be described as “disgraceful” tbh. To me, that’s absolute drama queen language. I’ll save words like that for things that are actually important. 

3 hours ago, Paulo2576 said:

Like I said, I was assuming there must be more to it than I knew to justify what happened. Now you’ve elaborated I’m still confused. Every club stands by a player when they’re injured, Aberdeen didn’t do anything out of the ordinary here. If he’s in poor form then it’s dereks job to drop him until he finds good form. Again, jack doing nothing wrong here. Yes he left to your biggest rivals, but also to the club he grew up supporting. It’s maybe hard for fans to accept but perfectly understandable where I’m standing.

The lying bit, this bit I know nothing about and I must therefore assume this is the justification of the idiots for booing him. Complete tools.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You don’t think he done anything wrong, the vast majority of Aberdeen fans will disagree. 

5 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I’ve said it was stupid and pointless, while also stating I wouldn’t do it. That doesn’t constitute condoning it at all. No matter how you try and warp what I’ve said to try and have a go at me for it :lol: 

i do think folk are free to do as they please, as long as they do so within the law. I believe folk are free to do and say as they please. Being in a football stadium doesn’t change that. I don’t think booing someone can be described as “disgraceful” tbh. To me, that’s absolute drama queen language. I’ll save words like that for things that are actually important. 

Yep. :ok:

26 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You don’t think he done anything wrong, the vast majority of Aberdeen fans will disagree. 

You clearly don’t understand the meaning of the word condone then. 

You can think what you like but any decent minded person would consider booing someone for moving to another football club when they are representing their country as disgraceful. 

We’re all entitled to our opinion. My opinion is that anyone who was booing on Thursday is a petty little idiot and is not a real Scotland supporter and should stay away from Scotland games in future. Unfortunately, nobody pays attention to my opinion anyway. :lol:

As you were not booing on Thursday and would not have done so, my opinion does not include you.

Football players should be respected unless their conduct on the pitch warrants otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

You clearly don’t understand the meaning of the word condone then. 

I certainly do. Believing in free speech and free will does not constitute condoning all uses of that. 

You can think what you like but any decent minded person would consider booing someone for moving to another football club when they are representing their country as disgraceful. 

Ahh. I love when people decide that their viewpoint is that of all “decent minded” people. :lol: 

I think most “decent minded” people wouldn’t give much of a shit about booing and cheering at a football game and would reserve words like “disgraceful” for things like stealing from OAPs or robbing houses. You can use it for booing a football player though and enable yourself to feel morally superior. 

We’re all entitled to our opinion. My opinion is that anyone who was booing on Thursday is a petty little idiot and is not a real Scotland supporter and should stay away from Scotland games in future. Unfortunately, nobody pays attention to my opinion anyway. :lol:

My opinion is that folk at the game are likely to be more of a “real Scotland supporter” than folk who weren’t. 

Football players should be respected unless their conduct on the pitch warrants otherwise. 

Respect, in all walks of life, is earned. A football player will get respect from fans if his behaviour on and off the pitch warrants it. Sometimes they don’t. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I certainly do. Believing in free speech and free will does not constitute condoning all uses of that. 

Ahh. I love when people decide that their viewpoint is that of all “decent minded” people. :lol: 

I think most “decent minded” people wouldn’t give much of a shit about booing and cheering at a football game and would reserve words like “disgraceful” for things like stealing from OAPs or robbing houses. You can use it for booing a football player though and enable yourself to feel morally superior. 

My opinion is that folk at the game are likely to be more of a “real Scotland supporter” than folk who weren’t. 

Respect, in all walks of life, is earned. A football player will get respect from fans if his behaviour on and off the pitch warrants it. Sometimes they don’t. 

I not sure you do mate. If you think it was acceptable for people to boo Ryan Jack then you condone it. If you don’t think it was acceptable then why are we having this conversation?

Ask anyone on here whether they think it was disgraceful or not. I’m willing to bet that the majority of people who say it wasn’t are either Aberdeen fans or Bonny. 

Real Scotland supporters actually support the team, including players they don’t necessarily like for childish reasons, when they are at the match. You don’t need to go to all Scotland games to be a real supporter, especially meaningless friendless in the back of beyond. Bearing in mind that the majority, if not all, of the booing idiots will be from Aberdeen or the surrounding area. How many of those people travel down to Glasgow/Edinburgh  for qualifiers or friendlies? 

Were you at the game on Thursday?

Things can be disgraceful without being as extreme as the examples you have cited.

I don’t consider myself to be morally superior at all. Far from it. I do consider myself to be a mature adult though, as I’m sure you are. I wouldn’t say the same for the people who embarrassed themselves on Thursday night though. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

I not sure you do mate. If you think it was acceptable for people to boo Ryan Jack then you condone it. If you don’t think it was acceptable then why are we having this conversation?

Ask anyone on here whether they think it was disgraceful or not. I’m willing to bet that the majority of people who say it wasn’t are either Aberdeen fans or Bonny. 

Real Scotland supporters actually support the team, including players they don’t necessarily like for childish reasons, when they are at the match. You don’t need to go to all Scotland games to be a real supporter, especially meaningless friendless in the back of beyond. Bearing in mind that the majority, if not all, of the booing idiots will be from Aberdeen or the surrounding area. How many of those people travel down to Glasgow/Edinburgh  for qualifiers or friendlies? 

Were you at the game on Thursday?

Things can be disgraceful without being as extreme as the examples you have cited.

I don’t consider myself to be morally superior at all. Far from it. I do consider myself to be a mature adult though, as I’m sure you are. I wouldn’t say the same for the people who embarrassed themselves on Thursday night though. 

:lol: Thank you Jimmy Sanderson.