Booing your own players - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Booing your own players

Squirrelhumper

35 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

That should be enough to keep the national team away from Aberdeen anyway. Disgraceful. 

Well that’s just silly. Because a handful of drunken neds booed, the thousands of good guys shouldn’t get to see their country come to them? I take it you’ve missed the booing of players at Hampden over the years?

8 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Some idiots did boo Jack but when it happened a lot of others started clapping him, tonight he played for Scotland nae his club team so should have been backed like the rest of the team. I backed him but next time he comes back I'll be giving him pelters.

How the f**k does Forrest get near the national team, he's utter garbage.

Because he performs well on a regular basis for his club. However you can count on one finger the good games he’s had for country.

Phillips is a player who should never be near a shirt again.

Agree on both points, would be happy if neither got another cap as both nae where near international level.

Thought Jack had a decent game tonight, seen him play full back for the dons & he never looked comfortable there.

33 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Well that’s just silly. Because a handful of drunken neds booed, the thousands of good guys shouldn’t get to see their country come to them? I take it you’ve missed the booing of players at Hampden over the years?

I’ve never heard a young player booed on their Scotland debut in their home town before that’s for sure. Disgraceful. 

8 hours ago, slasher said:

Stained tissue? 😂😂😂

What have I missed?

Macy on the cans. 

8 hours ago, ProudScot said:

That should be enough to keep the national team away from Aberdeen anyway. Disgraceful. 

Are we stopping playing at Hampden too, due to players being booed there? 

9 hours ago, slasher said:

I've said it before, there's no moral high ground for any of us. Just leave the club shite at home. Down the years I've backed them all from super Ally to Lee Wallace. What happened to we're all Jock Tamsons bairns?

Nail firmly struck right on its head. 

Totally agree with you on this @slasher.

There's no real excuse for booing a Scotland player on their debut. It's not going to do anything positive for the team. 

19 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Plenty players have been booed by folk at Hampden. Chris Martin was booed by half the crowd against Slovenia.

I don't see much sense in booing your own players at any time  but surely you can see the difference between Chris Martin, where over a set of games people felt that he hadn't done enough to warrant inclusion in the team and that - with time running out in a game we needed to win - it wasn't a particularly inspiring substitution and Ryan Jack being booed when making his debut when he's not even had the chance to prove himself in the dark blue.

I doubt anyone went along that night with the express purpose of booing Chris Martin.

Maybe it was all Fulham fans at Hampden that night unhappy at his recall to Derby from his loan?

In the years I've been watching Scotland hundreds of players have made their debuts, many of them have been considered not worthy of that honour at the time, sadly too many have proved that to be true.  I can only think of two occasions where a player has been booed when coming onto the park or when his name was read out on the teamsheet though, Ryan Jack and Ian Black.

In my experience, when it comes to not being able to leave club allegiances behind when it comes to following Scotland, Aberdeen fans are by far the worst.

Edited by aaid

The jeering of Jack last night was very poor and to be immediately condemned. Thankfully, it was far outweighed by those applauding him. 

Unfortunately there are idiots at football matches and that is to be expected. Shame it's spilling over onto here judging by some of the foregoing. 

It is not just Pittodrie where players have been booed, I watched all Scotland's qualifiers at Hampden and Chris Martin got loudly booed as he came on v Slovania, then scored the winner. I also heard Mulgrew and Anya on more than one occassion getting slated.....does this mean we wont play games at Hampden again ?

No, never thought so, but people on here don't want Aberdeen's ground used again because of a small minority last night.  Double standards from some in the central belt again.

9 hours ago, RDFH64 said:

Agree on both points, would be happy if neither got another cap as both nae where near international level.

Thought Jack had a decent game tonight, seen him play full back for the dons & he never looked comfortable there.

I take it you never watched the Lithuania away game and Slovakia at home where Forrest was arguably our best player?

40 minutes ago, aaid said:

In my experience, when it comes to not being able to leave club allegiances behind when it comes to following Scotland, Aberdeen fans are by far the worst.

Sadly this is true, weird sort of superiority complex.

Booing a players first touch (and every touch thereafter) on his debut takes some beating in the petty stakes.

1 minute ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't want it used mainly due to it being a shitehole and there being 5 grounds that are easily better than it.

The biggest shithole would be Hampden, no decent transport links back to the centre, to what is supposed to be our national stadium. you could stand till midnight waiting for a train to get back to the centre after a match, bloody ridiculous.

Was at Wembley last year and it puts Hampden to shame

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Sadly this is true, weird sort of superiority complex.

Booing a players first touch (and every touch thereafter) on his debut takes some beating in the petty stakes.

It’s not a complex. It’s the truth. We are better than everyone else, we have oil, better houses, more money, nicer cars. 

We’re generally how other Scots should look to be themselves. 

Get over it.