Netherlands match thread - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Netherlands match thread

PASTA Mick

Would have been better with Capt Mark Phillips riding a f@@king horse up front tonight.

Positives - liked the look of Christie, if only he could chuck a wee bit weight on! Quite lightweight. McGregor carried Celtic form into that game. Jack did better than expected at RB. Fraser looked lively when he came on. And that walloper Mackay won’t get the job.

Tierney did well bar a couple of woeful long balls second half. But he is STILL wasted at CB. Look at his delivery in last month for Dembele goal at Pittodrie and Griffiths in Anderlecht. Robertson can’t do that. We are cutting off one of our biggest assets by playing him RB or CB.

McLean holding beside McGinn very odd. And if you watch the replays of their goal he just watches both Depay and Promes steam past him and makes no attempt to try and track their run. Result, both waiting for a tap in. How he played 90 and Shinnie didn’t get game time I’ve no idea.

Disappointed not to see one of Cooper or Hanlon get some minutes but thought Mulgrew did well second half.

Forrest - I’m a Celtic fan but by god he has done nothing for us at international level, nothing. Time for someone else to get a run please. 

McGreggor did ok but it was his sloppy pass that led to the goal. 

For me thats the problem with guys playing in the SPL. If McGreggor does that same pass in the SPL then it doesnt result in a goal. Do it in the EPL then it does. 

Only by playing with and against better players do you get better. 

Nothing against McGreggor but perhaps people are being slightly selective in their reviews based on the flavour of the month as opposed to the current villians of the squad.

Just now, Diamond Scot said:

For me thats the problem with guys playing in the SPL. If McGreggor does that same pass in the SPL then it doesnt result in a goal. Do it in the EPL then it does. 

Nothing against McGreggor but perhaps people are being slightly selective in their reviews based on the flavour of the month as opposed to the current villians of the squad.

So how do you justify Matt Phillips? He plays in the EPL

11 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Have you seen the EPL recently? It really isnt worth the hype that it gets.

13 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Yer baws! That pass was on the edge of their box, there's a whole pitch to negotiate after that. Fvckin idiot!

2 hours ago, adamntg said:

McGregor was the stand-out for me.  McLean looked out of his depth.  

McLean doesn't have a depth.  He's terrible.  How he started ahead of Shinnie is a total mystery. 

ETA. I thought McGinn was very good. 

Edited by SMcoolJ

10 hours ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

Would have been better with Capt Mark Phillips riding a f@@king horse up front tonight.

Positives - liked the look of Christie, if only he could chuck a wee bit weight on! Quite lightweight. McGregor carried Celtic form into that game. Jack did better than expected at RB. Fraser looked lively when he came on. And that walloper Mackay won’t get the job.

Tierney did well bar a couple of woeful long balls second half. But he is STILL wasted at CB. Look at his delivery in last month for Dembele goal at Pittodrie and Griffiths in Anderlecht. Robertson can’t do that. We are cutting off one of our biggest assets by playing him RB or CB.

McLean holding beside McGinn very odd. And if you watch the replays of their goal he just watches both Depay and Promes steam past him and makes no attempt to try and track their run. Result, both waiting for a tap in. How he played 90 and Shinnie didn’t get game time I’ve no idea.

Disappointed not to see one of Cooper or Hanlon get some minutes but thought Mulgrew did well second half.

Forrest - I’m a Celtic fan but by god he has done nothing for us at international level, nothing. Time for someone else to get a run please. 

I agree with all of that, including the bit about Mark Phillips - his horse would probably have made a better attempt at heading the ball than Matt Phillips did for that chance at the end. 

For me it confirmed what I've felt about the team for a while - a decent midfield but short of quality up front and at the back.  The fact that Mackay felt compelled to play Matt Phillips as a centre forward says something about our options in that position. Tierney could be much more effective for Scotland playing in the position he plays for Celtic if he had a Dembele to cross to.

So, not a great game but the side held its own against good opposition. If whoever comes in can manage to address our deficiencies in defence and attack we could have the makings of a decent team. 

10 hours ago, slasher said:

Yer baws! That pass was on the edge of their box, there's a whole pitch to negotiate after that. Fvckin idiot!

You do understand the concept of counter attack dont you? Cheap ball given away whilst players are commited. Good teams then break with pace and score as per last night . 

If you dont understand that then i cant help you

christie and mcginn both look like they could be regular international players for years to come, mclean was pretty much as everyone expected (not international class), mcgregor was decent enough and i have to say i thought ryan jack did a good job at right back

surprised shinnie never started instead of mclean or even got on, he deserves a cap. 

special mention for ryan frasers world class touch and tierneys cross field ball, fraser needs to work on his finishing. 

8 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

christie and mcginn both look like they could be regular international players for years to come, mclean was pretty much as everyone expected (not international class), mcgregor was decent enough and i have to say i thought ryan jack did a good job at right back

surprised shinnie never started instead of mclean or even got on, he deserves a cap. 

special mention for ryan frasers world class touch and tierneys cross field ball, fraser needs to work on his finishing. 

to be fair, Fraser has just come on the pitch and probably would have scored had it happened 5 minutes later.

12 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

McGregor shouldn't have been near the play at that point as we had an excellent attack going and only Phillips' inability to play a 2-yard pass to Forrest fked it up.  The Dutch then still had a lot to do to get near our box.  Maybe a bit unfair to blame McGregor. Just my opinion though. Players lose the ball all the time, a lot closer to our goal as well, and we don't always concede.

51 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

We would've witnessed Goal of the Season had that been planted in the net. Really poor finish but an unbelievable first touch. Had Messi done that we'd never hear the end of it. I'd like to see Fraser get a regular start.

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

McGregor shouldn't have been near the play at that point as we had an excellent attack going and only Phillips' inability to play a 2-yard pass to Forrest fked it up.

Phillips completely fkd up a really promising move (reverse pass to Christie and he's one on one), then McGregor played a 50/50 ball to Jack which Jack didn't seem to either want or be expecting.

Then the ball got played to Depay who McLean was marking. All McLean had to do was stay on his feet and not dive in, but instead he tried to do a weird sliding tackle and Depay just strolled past him. That meant McGinn got dragged out of position. At that point if McLean had tried to track Depay's run the goal could maybe have been prevented, but he just sort of jogged toward the near post.

So definitely harsh to blame McGregor for the goal. 

2 hours ago, davew said:

Phillips completely fkd up a really promising move (reverse pass to Christie and he's one on one), then McGregor played a 50/50 ball to Jack which Jack didn't seem to either want or be expecting.

Then the ball got played to Depay who McLean was marking. All McLean had to do was stay on his feet and not dive in, but instead he tried to do a weird sliding tackle and Depay just strolled past him. That meant McGinn got dragged out of position. At that point if McLean had tried to track Depay's run the goal could maybe have been prevented, but he just sort of jogged toward the near post.

So definitely harsh to blame McGregor for the goal. 

Im not laying the blame solely at McGreggors feet for the goal. 

Was just highlighting that ut was his very sloppy pass to Jack that gave the ball away that led to Holland counter attacking. Of course alot had still to be done at the point but it was the sloppy giving away of the ball that was ultimately punished. 

Similar to Englands 2nd goal when Armstrong gave it away.

The point im making is that in the SPL when Armstrong and McGreggor give the ball away in similar situations then they arent punished and in turn they wont learn as much from their mistakes.

I think both are good players but merely highlighting some of the issues with players playing at a lesser standard.

4 hours ago, daviebee said:

McGregor shouldn't have been near the play at that point as we had an excellent attack going and only Phillips' inability to play a 2-yard pass to Forrest fked it up.  The Dutch then still had a lot to do to get near our box.  Maybe a bit unfair to blame McGregor. Just my opinion though. Players lose the ball all the time, a lot closer to our goal as well, and we don't always concede.

I said to my pals at the time that I thought Phillips being useless was the reason the attack really broke up. 

18 hours ago, JECK said:

Does he aye. Called it again, mind you it wasn't difficult 

He's admittedly not been great for Scotland but then again plenty of others have been rank as well. In terms of playing at a good level every week then he ticks that box. Personally wouldn't start him but he should certainly be in the squad.

On 11/9/2017 at 5:24 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

We can all relax. It's been confirmed today by the SFA that Mackay is NOT in the running for the job full-time. :)

Every cloud... 

Reasonably decent performance all in all, would have preferred to have seen Cummings starting or at least a striker. Phillips did his best but he's no a striker. 

Edited by Bzzzz

42 minutes ago, Bzzzz said:

Every cloud... 

Reasonably decent performance all in all, would have preferred to have seen Cummings starting or at least a striker. Phillips did his best but he's no a football player. 

sorted that