Netherlands match thread - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Netherlands match thread

PASTA Mick

Looks like the following starting XI -

Gordon; Jack, Berra, Tierney, Robertson; Forrest, Armstrong, McLean, McGregor, Christie; Phillips.

I'd rather have Paterson at RB but think there is merit in trying Jack there, even if we can rule it out as an option.

I think Tierney is wasted at CB but we are so short of options I can see the thinking behind it.

McLean shouldn't be in the squad. I'd rather McGinn started.

Phillips upfront seems mental. I'd rather start Cummings and see how he does at this level.

I'm predicting a 3-0 defeat. 

I am all for giving new players a chance but I really hope this team is wrong, whats the point playing a friendly with no striker, though as I pointed out before Malky only picked two, Cummings and Griffiths.

As for Matt Phillips we all know what he CAN'T DO. If there is no place for an in form player like McGinn then I really give up.

Think we should let tierny play his natural game and leave Robbo out.McGinn should be in and Phillips just isn't good enough, called it during the Lithuania game. If he does something tonight I'll eat my hat, or something similar.

Would just be Scotland to play a centre mid at right back on his debut, despite having a right back in the squad, our best left back at centre back despite having 4 centre backs in squad, 2 of whom are untested and to play an average winger at centre forward despite us desperately needing other options up front and having an untried centre forward in the squad.

Surely a friendly is the time to give Paterson another fun out, try Hanlon or Cooper at CB and give Cummings a start up front. 

If Matt Philips had a potential career at centre forward then I’m sure a smarter manager than Mackay would have realised that before now. The fact no one has says HE ISNT A CENTRE FORWARD!

The Jack at RB is up there with Berti/Gary Holt “experiment”.

3 hours ago, JECK said:

Think we should let tierny play his natural game and leave Robbo out.McGinn should be in and Phillips just isn't good enough, called it during the Lithuania game. If he does something tonight I'll eat my hat, or something similar.

What better options than Phillips is there, guy plays most weeks in the epl.

3 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

So we have a midfielder at right back, and a winger as our lone striker..........or 4-6-0.

Either Malky is a genius who will become a candidate again, or we are away to get pumped. Wonder which ?

Hopefully the former. If I was a gambling man I'd be backing the letter though. 

The Oranje will win by 3 or 4 goals, I reckon. 

Edited by scotlad
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

I'm sure that Phillips has played down the middle before albeit for Blackpool or Sheffield United.

Phillips up front perturbs me less than Jack at right-back and Tierney at centre-half - a waste of his talents. 

22 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Phillips up front perturbs me less than Jack at right-back and Tierney at centre-half - a waste of his talents. 

I can imagine Tierney will win quite a few of his many, many future caps at left CB in the coming years with Robertson plays LB.