Players worth a look at.... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players worth a look at....

kmcca5

15 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Barnes is a midfielder and we are not short there. Is Adams actually an out-and-out striker though? Haven't seen him.

Barnes is a left-midfielder, a bit of a weak area for us. Adams, as far as I can tell, is an attacking midfielder.

On 11/10/2017 at 6:41 PM, Paulo2576 said:

Fleck is now a seasoned professional with glowing recommendations over past few seasons . How is he behind McTominay. Do we even know if he’s remotely decent yet.

Glowing recommendations playing in the 3rd tier. Great. But not worth much.

He's only had a decent couple of months at a decent level.. so yes. He has more to do to prove he can do it over a season and then more to prove to show he can do it against the best, in high pressure games.

As for McTominay. He's where he is on merit. Mourinho is not the type to throw kids in for fun, yet he's started their recent Champions League game and was on the bench for the league games against Spurs and Chelsea. He's there because Mourinho trusts him, which is unusual for a 20 year old. He showed against Benfica that he's calm, capable and ready. Benfica are no mugs. They've won the Portuguese league for the last 4 years and made it thru  the group stage of the Champions League for the last 2. So McTominay, for me, has been tested at a significantly better level that Fleck gets when his side is beating a miserable, 2nd bottom Bolton side 1-0 .. or 2-1 over rock-bottom Sunderland.

Of course, if Mourinho buy Fleck in January I will hold me hands up and admit I'm wrong. But right now, that's how i see it. Fleck is well down the pecking order.

4 hours ago, andyD said:

He's only had a decent couple of months at a decent level.. so yes. He has more to do to prove he can do it over a season and then more to prove to show he can do it against the best, in high pressure games.

As for McTominay. He's where he is on merit. Mourinho is not the type to throw kids in for fun, yet he's started their recent Champions League game and was on the bench for the league games against Spurs and Chelsea. He's there because Mourinho trusts him, which is unusual for a 20 year old. He showed against Benfica that he's calm, capable and ready. Benfica are no mugs. They've won the Portuguese league for the last 4 years and made it thru  the group stage of the Champions League for the last 2. So McTominay, for me, has been tested at a significantly better level that Fleck gets when his side is beating a miserable, 2nd bottom Bolton side 1-0 .. or 2-1 over rock-bottom Sunderland.

Of course, if Mourinho buy Fleck in January I will hold me hands up and admit I'm wrong. But right now, that's how i see it. Fleck is well down the pecking order.

Fleck probably is down the list but he certainly is on the improve. We just look at it differently when it comes to SM. He’s barely played any competitive minutes, so he knows far less about high pressure minutes you talk of than any player in our squad I would say. So far he’s been played in games of no real consequence for United. He may very well get to that level but he’s not there yet.

i just don’t like the he’s in the squad for a big team get him in our team ethos when really we don’t know if he is any good. One game with pass marks against Benfica is a start but nothing more. History is littered with players making big team squads and not amounting to anything, so let’s get some evidence first before giving him a free pass into our team.

And that’s all before we factor in the fact he has stiffed us so far!!

5 hours ago, andyD said:

Yes pick a guy who has started one match in his life & doesn’t know if he’s Scottish over a 26 year old who’s steadily improved for years and has now played probably 200-300 games in his career... 

On 11/12/2017 at 12:04 AM, Mcfadden11 said:

Papers have us trying to turn another 2 Englishmen. Harvey Barnes and Che Adams.

Personally I think the rules need to be tightened and anyone who chooses to play for a country should then be eternally bound to representing only that country.

Especially if they played for England but then considered for Scotland. That's a big no no for me!

On 11/13/2017 at 7:24 PM, Paulo2576 said:

Fleck probably is down the list but he certainly is on the improve. We just look at it differently when it comes to SM. He’s barely played any competitive minutes, so he knows far less about high pressure minutes you talk of than any player in our squad I would say. So far he’s been played in games of no real consequence for United. He may very well get to that level but he’s not there yet.

i just don’t like the he’s in the squad for a big team get him in our team ethos when really we don’t know if he is any good. One game with pass marks against Benfica is a start but nothing more. History is littered with players making big team squads and not amounting to anything, so let’s get some evidence first before giving him a free pass into our team.

And that’s all before we factor in the fact he has stiffed us so far!!

Flecks' 26. Is he really improving as a player or has he just found a team that he works in and that is currently on a high? I remember seeing him at a random Coventry game a couple of years back and he was hardly impressive at League One level. Sheffield United seem to have a bunch of what seem to be largely terrible players playing well above themselves. Leon Clarke is a prime example. He's an absolutely atrocious striker, as evidenced by the laundry list of clubs he's been at and that while he's scored 8 goals in 13 in the championship this season, he's only scored 35 in his previous 207 games at that level. He's an ok League One striker, but he's scoring goals for Sheffield United right now. And that's my concern with Fleck. He's been a League One player for 5-6 years now, but at this moment his team is excelling. Take him, or any of them, out of that team and will they just revert to what they've been up to this season?

Give that, and the fact he's so far down the list of players even if he is as decent as he might appear right now.. when I'm not really rushing to get him in the squad.

Going back to McTominay, I'm not saying he should be starting games. But he's 20, he's in the first team squad of a big club for a reason, and where Fleck might be playing above himself right now, there's every chance that McTominay (because of his age and experience) will improve a great deal. So yeah, I'd have him in the squad. Opportunities at Man Utd are significantly harder to get that in League One, so noting what one of the top managers in the world thinks of him and giving him the opportunity to show what he can do in a couple of friendlies seems like a good idea.

I guess for me it comes down to this. We're in a transition period right now. We're looking to the future.
Fleck seems to be playing above himself.. and if he stays at that level is an ok back up should we lose a bunch of other players.
McTominay has the potential to be the heart of the midfield for 10 years. He may or may not fulfil that potential, but as a nation we should do our best to give him the chance to become that player, it benefits both us and him.

On 11/13/2017 at 8:02 AM, davew said:

Barnes is a left-midfielder, a bit of a weak area for us. Adams, as far as I can tell, is an attacking midfielder.

Barnes played right left and in the center of midfield for MK Dons last season, playing pretty much exclusively off the left in the Championship this season. Seems to be doing well enough, somewhat comparable stats to Barrie McKay. Not worth a call right now, but he is only 19, so potential.

Che Adams has been around a few years, over 100 games to his name. Pretty much a center forward, but can play anywhere in a front 3 really. Was looking promising at Sheffield United, then moved to Brum and had his best season so far last season. Rednapp was claiming that Derby tried to get him for 10m, but the offer was refused. He'd be a useful option, that's for sure. Quick, with good feet.

Whether they should be allowed to play for us given they've both already turned out for England youth sides is a question people will argue about forever. As it is, they're eligible for us according to the rules, so if the manager wants them to play for us and they want to come sing flower of Scotland and earn a place, then fair enough.

It's easy when you're born and bred in one country and your whole family's from there. For someone like Adams who's dad's from Antigua, but was born in Leicester and has Scottish grandparents.. well.. the water's got to be a little murkier in terms of a national identity. So it seems petty to hold a decision made as a wide-eyed teenage against someone for the rest of their life. There are worse crimes with shorter sentences.