Players worth a look at.... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Players worth a look at....

kmcca5

Barrie McKay - Due a Scotland call up? Playing well for Nottingham Forrest, still only 22

John Fleck - Sheffield United look brilliant from the two games I have seen and he looks very sharp. Still only 26

Not sure they're worth a look at tbh.

McKay's probably 'around the squad' given his recent form, but you'd want him to show it for a bit longer than a couple of months before a call up is really earnt. If you look at the games where he's had an impact it's generally been against the teams who are at the bottom end of the league. He has 1 goal and zero assists against teams in the top 11. Not saying he's rubbish.. just that we shouldn't rush to cap people on the basis of a few decent games against not particularly great opposition. Players still ahead of him for the left wing: Ritchie, Fraser, Phillips, Murphy and maybe Johnny Russell.

Fleck.. Saw him 6 weeks ago in the Sheffield derby. He was.. ok. Largely a background player tho. Sheffield United's current position seems to be far more due to a togetherness, understanding and willingness to run thru walls for each other rather than any particular individual brilliance. With the exception of David Brooks, there's no one in that team who looks like they'd make it at a higher level, or even in another team at that level. Players ahead of him in central midfield: Brown, Armstrong, Morrison, Bannan, McGregor, McDonald, McGinn, Cairney. And that's without mentioning Fletcher, McArthur and McTominay who probably should be ahead of him too.

Tbh there are some obvious names that have been mentioned a lot of players who should probably be around the squad.
Ralston as we have a massive shortage of right backs.
Lindsey as he seems a decent young centerback.
McTominay, who Malky seems to have failed to talk into accepting a call right now.
McBurnie.

Outside that, there's not many knocking on the door who haven't already been in squads.

8 hours ago, kmcca5 said:

Barrie McKay - Due a Scotland call up? Playing well for Nottingham Forrest, still only 22

John Fleck - Sheffield United look brilliant from the two games I have seen and he looks very sharp. Still only 26

Both players certainly deserved of inclusion.

12 hours ago, kmcca5 said:

Definitely both worth a look. Flecks stock just continues to rise, think he’s on a steady upward curve. 

Worth a look im not saying should be or must be in the squad be certainly worth further investigation:

Liam Lindsay consistent performer at a decent level, good age for us in a problematic position and (may be wrong) but too old for U21 games 

Joe Bryan dont know if he is Scottish anymore after his youth appearance but playing regularly in top of the league team lot of appearances at a good age

Barry Douglas playing a bit for a top of the table wolves team 

Murray Wallace a bit down the pecking order for having a look but still relatively young in a problematic position  

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

For the poster above saying Fleck shouldn’t be worth a look - he’s ahead of Kenny McLean that’s for sure. 

Aye, but Kenny McLean's a loooong way down for me after last night.

Brown, Armstrong, McDonald, Cairney, Bannan, Morrison, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Bridcutt, Shinnie, Fleck..
So Fleck gets in around 12 in line for me right now. He'll move up if he keeps his form up for the rest of the season tho.

After him is like.. Jack, Gauld, McArthur, Coutts, Fulton.. then Kenny McLean along side the liked of Dorrans, Fletcher and Charlie Adam.
That leaves McLean, for me, something like 20th in line for a call up.

39 minutes ago, andyD said:

Aye, but Kenny McLean's a loooong way down for me after last night.

Brown, Armstrong, McDonald, Cairney, Bannan, Morrison, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Bridcutt, Shinnie, Fleck..
So Fleck gets in around 12 in line for me right now. He'll move up if he keeps his form up for the rest of the season tho.

After him is like.. Jack, Gauld, McArthur, Coutts, Fulton.. then Kenny McLean along side the liked of Dorrans, Fletcher and Charlie Adam.
That leaves McLean, for me, something like 20th in line for a call up.

Fleck is now a seasoned professional with glowing recommendations over past few seasons . How is he behind McTominay. Do we even know if he’s remotely decent yet.

5 hours ago, borojock said:

Barry Douglas playing a bit for a top of the table wolves team 

If Barry Douglas was a right back he would have a cap by now.

Unfortunately for him, left-back is the one position where we have genuine quality.

Wolves look like they're in with a decent chance of promotion. It will be interesting to see if he can handle the step up.

1 hour ago, Paulo2576 said:

Fleck is now a seasoned professional with glowing recommendations over past few seasons . How is he behind McTominay. Do we even know if he’s remotely decent yet.

Ask yourself this, would Fleck ever get in the Man U starting lineup?

17 minutes ago, mcnish said:

Except he's already started against Benfica in the champions league. Scottishness hasn't been a criteria for a call-up since the pre Berti Vogts era.

Ah yes. 1 start in total and no starts in the league.

By that reckoning Calvin Miller, Jack Aitchison & Mikey Johnston should all be in the squad now also. 

Having said that I would stick McTominay in the squad if he was Scottish, which at the moment, he isn’t. 

Hardly, Celtic are far weaker than Man U and they could get away with picking pretty much anybody alongside their normal starting line up in the SPL and they'd still win regardless. Mctominay doesn't want to play for Scotland so its a moot point, but there's nothing to gain by calling up another average championship player in a position we already have strength in depth.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

In all seriousness we have about 20 midfielders ahead of him in the pecking order. Maybe more...

The thread is entitled "players worth a look at "

In the last 4 seasons he has made 164 appearances and scored 27 goals for lowly Accies - notably scoring at Parkhead and Ibrox

If you think there are 20 midfielders in Scottish Football, outwith the obvious stalwarts, ahead of him in the pecking order then we are clearly watching something different 

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

The thread is entitled "players worth a look at "

In the last 4 seasons he has made 164 appearances and scored 27 goals for lowly Accies - notably scoring at Parkhead and Ibrox

If you think there are 20 midfielders in Scottish Football, outwith the obvious stalwarts, ahead of him in the pecking order then we are clearly watching something different 

I’ll reiterate again there’s atleast 20 midfield players ahead of Ali Crawford for Scotland selection, maybe more. 

35 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

I’ll reiterate again there’s atleast 20 midfield players ahead of Ali Crawford for Scotland selection, maybe more. 

Then I'll reiterate you talk some pish 

Touche

Edited by Ally Bongo

55 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Then I'll reiterate you talk some pish 

Touche

In no particular order; Brown, Armstrong, McGregor, Fraser, Forrest, McGinn, Shinnie, Fleck, Christie, Bannan, Snodgrass, Dorrans, Phillips, Morrison, McLean, Fletcher, McTominay, Russell, probably Mackay-Steven & Coutts even...

Crawford is in a pack behind those players with McGeouch etc probably. So yeah about 20 or so ahead of him

51 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

In no particular order; Brown, Armstrong, McGregor, Fraser, Forrest, McGinn, Shinnie, Fleck, Christie, Bannan, Snodgrass, Dorrans, Phillips, Morrison, McLean, Fletcher, McTominay, Russell, probably Mackay-Steven & Coutts even...

Crawford is in a pack behind those players with McGeouch etc probably. So yeah about 20 or so ahead of him

You really are not getting this "players worth a look at" angle are you ? ^?^

Barnes is still only 19 so will be holding out for an england call up, maybe wait a couple of years and then we could entice him. Che Adams is now 21 and doing ok in the English championship so good chance he would play for us. Is much he better than what we have already though, he hasn't been scoring loads for Birmingham. At the end of the day we will need back up for Griffith's and Adams or mcburnie could be that. We don't exactly have an abundance of young strikers coming through.