Josh Taylor v Miguel Vazquez - Other Sports - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Josh Taylor v Miguel Vazquez

morrie21

Anyone else going to the Royal Highland Centre on Saturday for this fight. Interesting matchup putting Taylor in only his 11th pro outing in with such an experienced and awkward operator as Vazquez. His handlers clearly believe he can get the job done and reap the rewards next year with a possible world title shot in his division. I think Taylor is the goods but this will be a challenge like he has never seen before. Well worth attending if you can and showing a good Scottish boxer some support.

Hectic spell for me morrie or I’d be there. Josh does indeed look the business and they seem to have a lot of faith that he can go right to the top.

The performance against Davies was a masterclass and one of my favourite Scottish sporting performances of the year. (It helps that Davies is such a total tosser). 

Been a while since I’ve seen Vazquez. Always mind him as a really awkward customer so a cracking ‘learning experience’ for someone so new to the pro ranks. Think Josh will win by a handy margin over the distance. Might invest a few bob to that effect. 

Shame you can't attend Micky - it should be another good night. I will be ringside as I decided to work this fight to get a closer look at Taylor as he works. Vazquez is interesting also - very unique style that presents a whole host of challenges to his opponents. I attended the Davies fight in July and it was a superb performance from Josh that night.

I though there may have been a few more replies to this one considering it involves a Scottish sportsman who looks like he could go far - anyway here is the preview I wrote for the boxing site I write for, it just published an hour or two ago.

http://nyfights.com/latest-boxing-news/josh-taylor-risks-experienced-vazquez/

Had a wedding today so not seen the fight only the result. Also seen a wee vine that catches Taylor talking to Vasquez in the ring after the fight motioning and asking if he fancies a pint later, Vasquez breaks out in a big grin and nods his head. Was a great wee moment.

12 hours ago, phart said:

Had a wedding today so not seen the fight only the result. Also seen a wee vine that catches Taylor talking to Vasquez in the ring after the fight motioning and asking if he fancies a pint later, Vasquez breaks out in a big grin and nods his head. Was a great wee moment.

Brilliant. :-))

Good call with your late stoppage prediction morrie.

When Josh started upping the work rate from 6 onwards there was only going to be one winner but I really didn’t see a stoppage in the cards. Fortunately Josh goes to the body like those old school Mexican pros and broke him down. Softened him up with a couple of sharp ones before slipping under the elbow with that finisher. 

As we’d discussed before the fight Vazquez was awkward and full of old pro tricks. It took Josh a good few rounds to work him out. He’s impressively clinical once he’s got the opponents measure though. Going to enjoy watching him in the coming years. 

Btw...Jason Easton’s fight...wtf was he fighting? It wasn’t a man..it must have been some kind of terminator. What a hard b*stard. 

Yeah Micky Josh's body attack is quickly becoming one of the best in the sport. He is so comfortable mixing it up on the inside also. A supreme talent. I was impressed with Vazquez - he came to fight and had his bag of tricks with him - it was so good to see Taylor coming through that challenge in the manner he did.

As for Easton's opponent yeah he had a ridiculous style of holding his hands down low and doing some half baked Mayweather shoulder roll. He took some big looking shots and kept coming back for more. Tough guy but he needs to learn to defend himself properly otherwise he will get hurt. There's something about Easton I don't like. It might be his lack of head movement as I think he absorbs too much punishment also.

All in all a good night at ringside. - Leigh Griffiths was sat just along from me - he was there supporting his Edinburgh boys Taylor and Easton and was gracious with the constant requests for pictures from people.

Back to the boxing - Cyclone showcased some of their other Scottish talent on the card. Lee McGregor made his pro debut. Just 20 years old he impressed me and is being talked about as one to watch. Also heavyweight Martin Bakole  moved to 10-0. He is from DR Congo but now living, training and managed in Glasgow. He KOd his man with a beautiful left hook to the body in the opening round of his bout and may be one to keep an eye on moving forward.