Question Time Tonight - Page 106 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:36 AM, Toepoke said:

The old boy who made the "Ruth for PM" question certainly had a face like fizz at the derision directed at his suggestion...

Seems to have gone down well with some though...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/875537/ruth-davidson-theresa-may-Nicholas-Soames-prime-minister-leadership-bid-tory-sussex-mp

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

I still think Davidson would prefer to stay in her special role of defender of the union in Scotland for the time being, but I'd love to see her go down south, into a safe seat and eventually into a cabinet post - and fall flat on her smug pus.  Because one thing's for sure, she'll not get the same kind of soft-soap treatment from the media down there as she does in Scotland. 

43 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I still think Davidson would prefer to stay in her special role of defender of the union in Scotland for the time being, but I'd love to see her go down south, into a safe seat and eventually into a cabinet post - and fall flat on her smug pus.  Because one thing's for sure, she'll not get the same kind of soft-soap treatment from the media down there as she does in Scotland. 

Aye the UK media are blinkered by their support of anyone who stands up to the hated SNP. Ruth hasn't come under much scrutiny from them yet...

Watched it on YouTube.

Had been talking with pals recently how QT was no longer treated very seriously by the parties.  Back in the day you have senior figures but now it seems mostly the domain of junior ministers parroting off their prepared agendas, obscure media or sporting people who's opinions are not constricted in this way but are pretty much just randoms and the natural go tos  - Melanie Philips, Shami, Farage, that editor of money week etc.

More depressing than the panels are the loaded audiences with 'members of the public' asking questiond turning out to be elected councillors.

Bit of a shambles all round really. The skill for panel members is just to get a round of applause from their group and try not to screw up.

If you do just repeat some platitude like how great the arms forces are, how the Queen has done a good job, how MPs are a disgrace, how banker bonuses are evil and how police should be doing less paperwork and more arresting.

On 11/7/2017 at 1:37 AM, jockodile said:

Watched it on YouTube.

Had been talking with pals recently how QT was no longer treated very seriously by the parties.  Back in the day you have senior figures but now it seems mostly the domain of junior ministers parroting off their prepared agendas, obscure media or sporting people who's opinions are not constricted in this way but are pretty much just randoms and the natural go tos  - Melanie Philips, Shami, Farage, that editor of money week etc.

More depressing than the panels are the loaded audiences with 'members of the public' asking questiond turning out to be elected councillors.

Bit of a shambles all round really. The skill for panel members is just to get a round of applause from their group and try not to screw up.

If you do just repeat some platitude like how great the arms forces are, how the Queen has done a good job, how MPs are a disgrace, how banker bonuses are evil and how police should be doing less paperwork and more arresting.

Yes, although in a funny way there are differences between audiences in different parts which can add variety. I see Charles Moore got a bit of a pasting from a Croydon audience the other night. 

• 1 month later...

David Dimbleby presents topical debate from Barnsley in South Yorkshire. On the panel are [Tory remainer Rebel] Nicky Morgan, Labour's shadow business secretary Rebecca Long-Bailey MP, scientist and broadcaster Professor Robert Winston, comedian Geoff Norcott and political journalist and commentator Isabel Oakeshott

• 1 month later...

I had the chance to be in the audience but I declined when I saw the panel.  Surely we can do better than Hyslop on this type of programme.

There wasn't a single question relevant to Dumfries or to Scotland.  Nothing about the power grab, nor about the discredited fake news story about flags.  Tedious and tired.  As for Forsyth, selectively quoting Burns to try to give the impression Burns was a rabid unionist, GIRFUY.

Maggie Chapman is horrendous - her unintelligible gabbling is extremely irritating and hard to follow.  Completely unsuited to a programme like QT.

In a programme from Dumfries, could they not have found a Scottish Tory from the current crop to be on the panel, and a Labour MP/MSP from Scotland?  Or were they too afraid of being asked awkward questions?

• 4 months later...

So Question Time (from what I saw) mainly about Brexit, they had one question about the SNP walkout, Dimbleby says but can you be brief (you couldn't make it up) and gives a chance for Leanne Wood to defend the principle and explain the power grab... girl in the audience says why isnt broadcasting devolved, and Dimbleby says flippantly, why do you need more news about Wales? and she comes back at him and says basically yes, and mentions Basque TV stations, and that gives a chance for Leanne to explain how poorly informed and poorly served they are in Wales, and gets a dig at Labour in Wales.  Also mention of something Mundell said about Scotland not being partner in the UK but just a part of the UK - did he really say that?

6 minutes ago, exile said:

Also mention of something Mundell said about Scotland not being partner in the UK but just a part of the UK - did he really say that?

Yes. Fair play to Matthew Wright for bringing it up...

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1007239320376414208?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pieandbovril.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dsystem%26controller%3Dembed%26url%3Dhttps%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2Fnickeardleybbc%2Fstatus%2F1007239320376414208%3Fs%3D19

8 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Hmm, difficult to tell what he actually said and actually meant, in context. He sometimes stumbles over words with bits of foot in mouth. 

9 hours ago, exile said:

So Question Time (from what I saw) mainly about Brexit, they had one question about the SNP walkout, Dimbleby says but can you be brief (you couldn't make it up) and gives a chance for Leanne Wood to defend the principle and explain the power grab... girl in the audience says why isnt broadcasting devolved, and Dimbleby says flippantly, why do you need more news about Wales? and she comes back at him and says basically yes, and mentions Basque TV stations, and that gives a chance for Leanne to explain how poorly informed and poorly served they are in Wales, and gets a dig at Labour in Wales.  Also mention of something Mundell said about Scotland not being partner in the UK but just a part of the UK - did he really say that?

Listening to Leanne Wood gives me the horn 😈

1 hour ago, slasher said:

Listening to Leanne Wood gives me the horn 😈

She's one of those aptly named politicians int she? 

It's like i'm a teenager again watching a Catatonia video on MTV.

1 hour ago, Dave78 said:

She's one of those aptly named politicians int she? 

It's like i'm a teenager again watching a Catatonia video on MTV.

What about the woman with the Welsh accent in the audience who felt that we needed the Winston Churchill or Donald Trump approach to EU negotiations ?

It was at that point i switched off 

You actually wonder how folk manage to get to that stage of being so fucking thick and ignorant 

22 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

What about the woman with the Welsh accent in the audience who felt that we needed the Winston Churchill or Donald Trump approach to EU negotiations ?

You actually wonder how folk manage to get to that stage of being so fucking thick and ignorant 

Was a good score on QT bingo when Churchill got mentioned though.

39 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Less of the neg-a-tivitee Allee, Churchill would not have put up with it. 

• 3 months later...