Question Time Tonight - Page 100 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Question Time Tonight

May is now suddenly fighting on four fronts - Brussels. Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. And fiendishly, these are all pulling in different directions, and it's difficult to see how she can have it all ways. This has a potential for a Great British Omnishambles, it's just the British media have not put 2 + 2 together yet...

Just now, exile said:

May is now suddenly fighting on four fronts - Brussels. Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar. And fiendishly, these are all pulling in different directions, and it's difficult to see how she can have it all ways. This has a potential for a Great British Omnishambles, it's just the British media have not put 2 + 2 together yet...

That is not catchy enough. 

Great British Bust-up.

Let's get it on.

8 minutes ago, exile said:

That's not to mention the problems in England's NHS and prisons, either of which have the capability to completely blow up in the forthcoming months and the potential election expenses court cases.  Outside or a World War I doubt any government has had as much to deal with and unlike a war, there's no sign of any sense of national unity.  Their only saving grace is that the official opposition is in an even bigger mess.

That's three "mistakes" in the last three weeks that this government has made, where they've had to completely backtrack or had to quickly move to reclarify their position.  Although it's only the starting point of the process, the article 50 letter is hugely important and you would think they'd have made sure that there was nothing that could be open to misinterpretation.

It really doesn't fill you with a huge amount of confidence. 

43 minutes ago, aaid said:

That's not to mention the problems in England's NHS and prisons, either of which have the capability to completely blow up in the forthcoming months and the potential election expenses court cases. 

She's not neglecting the day job is she?

1 hour ago, exile said:

I've said it before but at the risk of repeating myself,I think the Yes side underestimated this and are in danger of underestimating it again. The attitude seems to be that Britishness can just be wished away as a vacuous artificial construct, or else, that anyone with the British sentiment must be a hardcore 'BritNat' who could never be won over. But I think on the contrary, trying to understand and accommodate this sentiment (within an independence settlement that has some sort of vision for residual Britishness) is one of the keys to winning people over (or at least neutralising active opposition).

I think there's a parallel even with the EU. Though the EU as an institution is often unloved, a lot of people (on both sides of the Channel) feel sorrow at its fracture, the breaking of the ties, and the injury to what the EU at its best was about.

By the way I am not myself getting sentimental about either of those unions, just saying people ought to be pragmatic about those who do. 

Britishness is part of our History and we should do something about it.  I dislike and am emarressed about most thingsthe British Empire has ever done , i cant even support anything that is British 

It is however part of our history and a very strong part of a lot of peoples identity 

I think Sturgeon should be seen Supporting the Lions or similar..   ( a sort of Mandela wearing the Springbok jersey)

Standing with some army guys, or Chris Hoy, or Andy Murray or something like that would help

I would draw the line at her going on an Orange March ;-) , but the YES side need to add a wee bit of Britishness. 

It is part of our History .. 

Edited by stocky

8 minutes ago, stocky said:

I think Sturgeon should be seen Supporting the Lions or similar..   ( a sort of Mandela wearing the Springbok jersey)

Standing with some army guys, or Chris Hoy, or Andy Murray or something like that would help

I would draw the line at her going on an Orange March ;-) , but the YES side need to add a wee bit of Britishness. 

Vividly put! :ok:

17 minutes ago, stocky said:

Britishness is part of our History and we should do something about it.  I dislike and am emarressed about most thingsthe British Empire has ever done , i cant even support anything that is British 

It is however part of our history and a very strong part of a lot of peoples identity 

It is part of our History .. 

Doesn't she already do a lot of that?

A few photo ops aren't enough IMO. She needs to make speeches assuring people with an allegiance to Britain (not sure how to refer to them... 'Britnat' is a bit pejorative) that their identity won't just vanish on independence day, just as Scottish identity didn't in 1707.

She did a bit of this immediately after the Brexit result when, in a speech, she imagined being a Britnat and waking up to find Scotland had voted for independence. She said the sense of loss she felt at the Brexit result would have been similar to how a staunch No voter would feel had Scotland voted differently in 2014.

Conservative MP Suella Fernandes, shadow home secretary Diane Abbott, Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron, co-leader of the Green Party Jonathan Bartley, businesswoman and broadcaster Michelle Dewberry, and Gerard Coyne, the West Midlands secretary of the Unite union who is a candidate in the election for general secretary.

3 hours ago, exile said:

Conservative MP Suella Fernandes, shadow home secretary Diane Abbott, Liberal Democrat leader Tim Farron, co-leader of the Green Party Jonathan Bartley, businesswoman and broadcaster Michelle Dewberry, and Gerard Coyne, the West Midlands secretary of the Unite union who is a candidate in the election for general secretary.

and with that I bid you good night:lol:

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Marky said:

Anyone know who's on this tonight.

Either way it's going to be even more testing on the blood pressure than normal. That's for certain. 

Thursday ?

Nothing on their twitter page yet

Conveniently Jo Swinson reappears as she attempts to win back East Dunbartonshire

C-VIPChXoAANCqF.jpg

Hilary Camilla Cavendish, Baroness Cavendish of Little Venice (born 20 August 1968) is a British journalist and former policy adviser to David Cameron

from Wigan.

Conservative Brexit secretary David Davis

Labour's shadow business secretary Rebecca Long-Bailey

UKIP leader Paul Nuttall

Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood

CEO of Siemens UK Juergen Maier.

I cant recall a single Wigan accent on the program and its quite recognisable. But that was frighteningly xenophobic last night. Amazed at the booing of Nicola Sturgeon ..just as well they never mentioned SNP. 

It's in Scotland tomorrow so i'm surprised Merryn Somerset Webb isnt on to rubbish an Independent Scotland's economy ..... oh wait

C_e2PJAXgAE2cFD.jpg

11 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

It's in Scotland tomorrow so i'm surprised Merryn Somerset Webb isnt on to rubbish an Independent Scotland's economy ..... oh wait

C_e2PJAXgAE2cFD.jpg

I wonder if David Dimbleby will introduce Merryn Somerset Webb as a board member of Scotland in Union tonight which he seems to "forget" to do every other time she's been on.

You can just imagine the introductions "David Hayman, well known actor and independence supporter and Merryn Somerset Webb, editor of MoneyWeek"

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

I wonder if David Dimbleby will introduce Merryn Somerset Webb as a board member of Scotland in Union tonight which he seems to "forget" to do every other time she's been on.

You can just imagine the introductions "David Hayman, well known actor and independence supporter and Merryn Somerset Webb, editor of MoneyWeek"

Have just tweeted her, bbcqt and Joanna Cherry to ask that question

Thanks