Malky's Squad - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malky's Squad

Toepoke

18 minutes ago, mariokempes56 said:

Right...

I maybe should have said I rate him as a winger because his pace and his dribbling cause defences problems.

But not being able to finish or hold on to the ball make him a terrible choice for CF.

If the lack of a replacement striker being called up means Cummings starts and gets the majority of the game, I can almost forgive that - as it'd mean we are properly trying a younger prospect before he reaches his mid twenties. But if Phillips starts as a lone striker and Cummings gets 10 minutes off the bench I'll be raging!

Edited by Rude Gullit

5 hours ago, davew said:

Apparently he wanted to call up McBurnie, but decided against it because he wants him to play against Latvia.

So now he wants to play Phillips up front.

I actually rate Phillips, but he can't finish, and he gives the ball away a lot. 

Wait till John McGinn gets a run of games then you'll see how often he gives the. All away cheaply. If the fans didn't have a song for him he'd be getting slaughtered on Fibs.net every week

I actually like the look of this squad and probably looking forward to this friendly more than any other in my time (Wembley 13 aside) 

It's what posters on here have been crying out for in friendlies. Experimentation, albeit it a bit of a pr stunt but the Aberdeen players deserve the chance nonetheless 

No Aberdeen player should be in the Scotland squad as they are not good enough. 

Last season their best players were from Ireland.  This season their best player is from Celtic.

They are in to sell tickets as its in Aberdeen.  Christie has a very good chance of making it.  Their centre half and winger look promising.  Apart from that not international class.

On 11/5/2017 at 11:06 PM, ProudScot said:

Tbh would have hoped for Fleck or Tierney instead of Fletcher in the original squad anyway. 

3 is excessive considering they all play in our strongest area. mclean for me shouldnt be in there he is mid 20s and a decent but nowhere near international class player, is he going to develop much further than the level he is at now, i doubt it. shinnie ok fine for backup but again mid twenties and wont be developing much further. christie i have no issue with. 

Just now, LewisEDI said:

3 is excessive considering they all play in our strongest area. mclean for me shouldnt be in there he is mid 20s and a decent but nowhere near international class player, is he going to develop much further than the level he is at now, i doubt it. shinnie ok fine for backup but again mid twenties and wont be developing much further. christie i have no issue with. 

Cairney I meant not Tierney! 

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Last season their best players were from Ireland.  This season their best player is from Celtic.

They are in to sell tickets as its in Aberdeen.  Christie has a very good chance of making it.  Their centre half and winger look promising.  Apart from that not international class.

Christie, I can understand, but as I think you mean, he's a Celtic player really.

We're in the market new faces in the midfield 3, particularly in a holding role. So it's not crazy that Shinnie and McLean come into the thinking. But when we have Brown, Armstrong, McGregor and McGinn already there, I'm not sure how both the Aberdeen lads AND Ryan Jack get in.

Kevin McDonald is a solid player at the top end of the championship who would absolutely dominate in the Scottish league. Tom Cairney's back playing again and (along with Bannan, who Villa fans were saying they wish they could have back after he ran the show against them) is one of the top players in the league.

For me for me, Shinnie and McLean are around double figures in terms of players ahead of Shinnie and McLean. They're in a group with people like Fleck, Coutts, Bridcutt, maybe Dorrans, Jack and Fulton. As such they do seem like 'cheap' caps, tho I'll not go as far as Boyd.

2 hours ago, Alan said:

You clearly don’t know much about Aberdeen. 

That said, what does Boyd mean by this:

""As for central midfield; I watched [Celtic trio] Scott Brown, Stuart Armstrong and Callum McGregor run all over the top of him last week."

Three players playing in the country's best team collectively outplay a player from a lesser resourced, worse side? Hardly surprising. Was Shinnie expected to win the midfield battle alone? Is the bar set higher for him? I don't see a player that'd make much difference to us, but that seems pretty harsh or I'm missing the point. 

5 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

McLean's a year older than McGeough, who I bet you wouldn't have complained about had he been in. Not to mention that McLean's been playing at a far higher level for most of his career.

10 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

McLean's a year older than McGeough, who I bet you wouldn't have complained about had he been in. Not to mention that McLean's been playing at a far higher level for most of his career.

McLean is honking and should be nowhere near the Aberdeen team, never mind the Scotland squad. 

11 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

i already said mcgeough shouldn't be in the squad. not that i would have complained if he had made it mind you ;-) 

13 hours ago, the_fadiator said:

That said, what does Boyd mean by this:

""As for central midfield; I watched [Celtic trio] Scott Brown, Stuart Armstrong and Callum McGregor run all over the top of him last week."

Three players playing in the country's best team collectively outplay a player from a lesser resourced, worse side? Hardly surprising. Was Shinnie expected to win the midfield battle alone? Is the bar set higher for him? I don't see a player that'd make much difference to us, but that seems pretty harsh or I'm missing the point. 

Tbh, i think Boyd's just joining the 'shock pundit' camp that Chris Sutton has firmly placed his flag in. They get half a point, then say something ridiculous to get attention. They're like the Katie Hopkins of football punditry.

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

McLean is honking and should be nowhere near the Aberdeen team, never mind the Scotland squad. 

I wouldn't particularly disagree with that and I think had it been a "normal" squad under a permanent manager he wouldn't have been anywhere near it.

2 hours ago, LewisEDI said:

i already said mcgeough shouldn't be in the squad. not that i would have complained if he had made it mind you ;-) 

Aye, I was just yanking your chain a bit :-)

19 hours ago, wee-toon-red said:

Interestingly Fleck is older than McLean, didn't realise that.