Malky's Squad - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malky's Squad

Toepoke

5 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

I wonder if they've ever looked into the ancestry of Gary Hooper

They did. Hooper's grandfather was raised in the Scottish Borders but was born in England.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/gary-hooper-linked-with-switch-to-scotland-1094048

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/scotland-hopes-of-capping-celtic-hitman-1094792

Wales were interested in him too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17016537

Anyway, Darren Fletcher has withdrawn now too.

He's got to bring in another striker anyway. It's only common sense.

50 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

no point, well covered and fletcher being out is a no disaster as this is a friendly where we should be trying out new players (who are already in the squad,  mcginn/christie)

Tbh would have hoped for Fleck or Tierney instead of Fletcher in the original squad anyway. 

No news on any replacements so far..

Mackay's said that Tierney won't play right back, so that's good. but looking like it might be Ryan Jack at right back instead which seems.. a bit bizarre. He's not played there with any regularity since he was a teenage, i don't think.

He's also said McGregor will play and Tierney and Robertson will both be in.. tho he doens't know how yet.. which is reassuring. Suggests he doesn't think left back, left mid is the best plan and that maybe he's thinking about left back and center back. That seems like a massive waste to me.

Cummings looking like the only striker, which is crazy. Rhodes has just found some form and scored 2 in the last 2 (his first two starts since august). His link up play has actually been surprisingly good too.

36 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

Does anyone know if we've called up any more strikers?

I don't fancy Malky for the job anyway but if we go into this game with only Cummings up front then that should discount Malky from the job as far as i'm concerned.

On yesterday's showing, Kris Boyd :D

Apparently he wanted to call up McBurnie, but decided against it because he wants him to play against Latvia.

So now he wants to play Phillips up front.

I actually rate Phillips, but he can't finish, and he gives the ball away a lot. 

8 minutes ago, davew said:

Apparently he wanted to call up McBurnie, but decided against it because he wants him to play against Latvia.

I actually rate Phillips, but he can't finish, and he gives the ball away a lot. 

He also apparently wanted Scott McKenna called up but the U21's need him......

9 minutes ago, davew said:

And has never played Cf as far as I know. That one decision shows how unfit McKay is for the job.

12 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

And has never played Cf as far as I know. That one decision shows how unfit McKay is for the job.

According to this https://www.whoscored.com/Players/40036/History/Matt-Phillips he's made 8 appearances as a striker in his career.

3 in the EPL, 5 the chamionship. He didn't score in any of those games.

We have strikers available to call up.. i don't see why we should be trying to convert wingers into forward randomly. It seems utterly cray and unless Phillips scores a hattrick then Mackay's just going to look like an idiot.

1 striker, 1 right back.. no idea way any half way sane manager would limit their options like that. Utterly unenthused about this game now. :/