Malky's Squad - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Malky's Squad

Toepoke

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Sums up English fitbaw. 

I know what you’re saying Parkie and in general I agree, but in the case of Mallan I don’t think the Barnsley manager is saying he isn’t big enough, more he isn’t fit enough. I’m willing to believe that will Stevie that’s a fair criticism at the moment. I still think he’ll be a smashin player. 

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Hang on, are we're not trying to improve? Ronaldo and the other top players all train like beasts. Those with less talent should at least try and match them in terms of conditioning i.e. put the hours in.

Wanky phrase alert. Americanised pish. Beasts are kiddie fiddlers.

52 minutes ago, Marky said:

I know what you’re saying Parkie and in general I agree, but in the case of Mallan I don’t think the Barnsley manager is saying he isn’t big enough, more he isn’t fit enough. I’m willing to believe that will Stevie that’s a fair criticism at the moment. I still think he’ll be a smashin player. 

Sounds like the next Scott Allan 

12 hours ago, Kirk said:

Yea agree, great player! dont understand how these guys are missed out sometimes, everyone but the management seem to know about them!

Aye, reminds me of this wee incident ....

Not long before he got sacked George Burley was on the radio talking about Andy Webster. Burley said he wished Webster was injury free and playing football again.

The interviewer then pointed out that Webster was on loan at Dundee Utd, playing well and was injury free. Burley stumbled about trying to say something and then changed the subject.

The Scotland manager of the day clearly couldn't even be bothered finding this out for himself. Amateur hour indeed. :banghead:

Edited by ErsatzThistle

59 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Sounds like the next Scott Allan 

No no no. Stevie Mallan has a far better attitude than Scott Allan. He will work hard and get it right I’m sure.

Of course he may turn out not to be good enough, but in his case I don’t believe it’ll be for the want of trying.

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

No no no. Stevie Mallan has a far better attitude than Scott Allan. He will work hard and get it right I’m sure.

Of course he may turn out not to be good enough, but in his case I don’t believe it’ll be for the want of trying.

Hope you’re right 

16 hours ago, andyD said:

Yep. Very short on the right back front. Jack Grimmer waaay down in English League Two is one of very few playing regularly.

Ziggy Gordon's drifted out of the squad for Bialystok in Poland.

Liam Palmer made just his 2nd start of the season for Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night (tho did well enough).

Ralston mostly benched for Celtic.

The you're into the liked of David Gray, Richard Tait, Aaron Comrie, Marcus Fraser.. none of whom look a lot like footballers to me at the moment.

For me it's between Palmer and Ralston who are backup to Paterson. If Ralston's needed in the u21s then we take Palmer as the back up. over 200 games to his name now, over half of them in the Championship. I'm not convinced he's international class, but he's the best option we've got at the moment.

Surely there's no point calling up haddies to be back up right back when Tierney can switch across, even if that isn't ideal? If Paterson and Tierney are to be the first choice full backs, if Paterson was to be out then Tierney RB and Robertson LB is a better combination than any of the guys you mention at RB and Tierney at LB. If Tierney was our only decent LB then I'd see your point but we've got Robertson and a couple of other left backs who are a lot better than most of the right back options once you go beyond Paterson.

1 hour ago, wee-toon-red said:

If Tierney was our only decent LB then I'd see your point but we've got Robertson and a couple of other left backs who are a lot better than most of the right back options once you go beyond Paterson.

Well, the idea being that we should be trying to get Tierney and Robertson in the same team in a way that's actually effective.

Tierney at right back is a waste of his talent and inhibits the team whenever we try and attack down the right. It basically makes our right hand side useless as he can't overlap effectively.

There's plenty of ways to get Tierney and Robertson in the same 11 without massively stifling one or the other.

343 with Tierney on the left of the back 3 and Robertson wide left of the 4.. or just a plain 442/451 with Tierney at fullback and Robertson wide midfield. All 4 wingers in the squad are right footed, having Robertson out there, with his crossing ability, would provide a decent supply to the forward.

17 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Not even mentioning Donald Love!

Sadly it's very easy to overlook Donald Love right now. Hasn't played a single minute in the Championship this season. Rarely even makes the squad. The reality is he's never played regular league football. In his career he's played less minutes of league football than Barry Bannan has already played just this season.

Tbh he needs to leave Sunderland, drop down to league one and work his way back up. I imagine he's on a decent wage at Sunderland tho, and has 3 years left on his deal there, so.. there's a decent chance he just disappears till he's around 27.

17 minutes ago, andyD said:

Well, the idea being that we should be trying to get Tierney and Robertson in the same team in a way that's actually effective.

Tierney at right back is a waste of his talent and inhibits the team whenever we try and attack down the right. It basically makes our right hand side useless as he can't overlap effectively.

There's plenty of ways to get Tierney and Robertson in the same 11 without massively stifling one or the other.

343 with Tierney on the left of the back 3 and Robertson wide left of the 4.. or just a plain 442/451 with Tierney at fullback and Robertson wide midfield. All 4 wingers in the squad are right footed, having Robertson out there, with his crossing ability, would provide a decent supply to the forward.

I don't disagree with that at all. When Paterson is fit and playing well then Robertson and Tierney have both got to feature on the other side of the pitch. However, I don't think it's correct to bring in a sub-standard right back as deputy when Tierney can shift across to cover for Paterson if needed. I'd argue that we're still a better team with Tierney only performing at half capacity on the right than some of the other names mentioned coming in there.

18 minutes ago, wee-toon-red said:

I don't think it's correct to bring in a sub-standard right back as deputy when Tierney can shift across to cover for Paterson if needed. I'd argue that we're still a better team with Tierney only performing at half capacity on the right than some of the other names mentioned coming in there.

Well the reason to bring one is perfectly practical. If we have Paterson, Tierney and Robertson all fit and in the 11, the if Paterson gets injured, we have to move everyone. Tierney to right back, Robertson to left back and then bring in someone at left wing. That's 2 changes to the back 4 in the middle of a game which is never a good idea. Palmer's and Ralston aren't so terrible that we'd be putting the equivalent of a 1 legged man out there. They are capable of doing a job, just not necessarily quite as well as Paterson would. Kinda how Hanley can do a job, just not as well as Berra has been doing it.

12 minutes ago, andyD said:

Well the reason to bring one is perfectly practical. If we have Paterson, Tierney and Robertson all fit and in the 11, the if Paterson gets injured, we have to move everyone. Tierney to right back, Robertson to left back and then bring in someone at left wing. That's 2 changes to the back 4 in the middle of a game which is never a good idea. Palmer's and Ralston aren't so terrible that we'd be putting the equivalent of a 1 legged man out there. They are capable of doing a job, just not necessarily quite as well as Paterson would. Kinda how Hanley can do a job, just not as well as Berra has been doing it.

To be honest I'm not even convinced that Paterson is any great shakes so anyone who isn't better than him really isn't up to much. Ralston has got time on his side and hopefully some other youngsters will appear to challenge him but I'd rather swap all 11 players round to accommodate moving Tierney to right back, or maybe even play your one-legged man, than most of the current alternatives.

23 hours ago, Marky said:

I genuinely think he’s the real deal, but facts of the matter are that he is currently only being tested against Scottish Championship players. That’s why I said in a post a couple of weeks ago that perhaps a better measure will be his performances for the U21s and on that score it’s definitely so far so good. 

We’ve got a home double header coming up so hopefully he’ll keep up his excellent form so far. 

Aye hope he’s great for U21s but I hope he’s Pish tomorrow!

On 31/10/2017 at 10:38 AM, andyD said:

We have to fast track someone.

Tierney and Robertson are two of our best players. They must play. Assuming we don't play Tierney right, then we'll play Paterson right. Then because we don't have a back up for the right back slot, if Paterson gets injured in the first 10 minutes, we have to shift Tierney and then probably shift Robertson as well. 3 changes to the team for the one injury.

Whether we kept Anya in to sit on the bench for right back, or even went back for Bardsley, fine. Ralston seems the best option to come into the squad long term, but there are others, who can just provide cover (as Whittaker was doing in the last squad). Ralston, Palmer, Love, Grimmer, McGhee. I know none of them are 'ready', but that's entirely the problem.

Jack will play right back. Not that I agree with it but I think it's what will happen. Christie will start. 

On 03/11/2017 at 12:14 AM, Marky said:

Looks like Stevie is doing all the right things to break into the first team.

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2017/november/23s-report/