Should We Don Poppies On Our Kits vs The Netherlands - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should We Don Poppies On Our Kits vs The Netherlands

DoonTheSlope

Should We Don Poppies On Our Kits vs The Netherlands  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Each Player Don A Poppy On Their Kit vs The Netherlands

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

Unless you’re a Rangers fan (doesn’t sound like you are) then you shouldn’t really have an issue with that they do for it, whether it’s OTT in your opinion or not. 

There’s no top flight football next week due to the international break and even if there was, most teams at home this week would be away next week so this week would be there only chance to do anything to mark it at their own ground .

It just baffles me that people (I don’t necessarily mean you) seem to have strong opinions about stuff that has absolutely no effect on them whatsoever. 

I couldn’t care less either way (even with Scotland) if a team wears a poppy or not. It’s meaningless really. 

Killie fan sadly haha. 

Ah forgot about internationals. 

Yeah i know what youre saying and youre probably right, just think ts lost its meanig to political point scoring i guess.

9 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Killie fan sadly haha. 

Ah forgot about internationals. 

Yeah i know what youre saying and youre probably right, just think ts lost its meanig to political point scoring i guess.

Someone on an international football forum forgetting about international football is pretty ironic. :lol:

Whether I’m right or not is probably a matter of opinion but I just can’t see a problem with the whole poppy thing one way or the other.

13 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Someone on an international football forum forgetting about international football is pretty ironic. :lol:

Whether I’m right or not is probably a matter of opinion but I just can’t see a problem with the whole poppy thing one way or the other.

Haha it wouldbe differemt if we had an important play off coming up 😂

17 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

14925687_10154646458021445_5018410756834

Very fair minded article. 

We had a friendly against Switzerland and 1916 was sown into our crest as the friendly fell on the 100th anniversary. Apparently we got clearance from UEFA initially but were fined after some Tory MP scrote kicked up a fuss. We shouldn't have worn it in any case.

I don't think any political symbol/events such as the Easter Lilly or Poppy should be brought into international football and I don't blame UEFA for cracking down on it. Could you imagine Serbia wanting to wear something in honour of their armed forces who committed mass murders in the Yugoslavian civil war?! 

It's best to avoid any of these political commemorations in international football matches no matter how passionate you feel about about a given symbol event. 

As the legend that is George Carlin once remarked: 

"I leave symbols to the symbol-minded" ;)

1 hour ago, irish said:

Very fair minded article. 

We had a friendly against Switzerland and 1916 was sown into our crest as the friendly fell on the 100th anniversary. Apparently we got clearance from UEFA initially but were fined after some Tory MP scrote kicked up a fuss. We shouldn't have worn it in any case.

I don't think any political symbol/events such as the Easter Lilly or Poppy should be brought into international football and I don't blame UEFA for cracking down on it. Could you imagine Serbia wanting to wear something in honour of their armed forces who committed mass murders in the Yugoslavian civil war?! 

It's best to avoid any of these political commemorations in international football matches no matter how passionate you feel about about a given symbol event. 

As the legend that is George Carlin once remarked: 

"I leave symbols to the symbol-minded" ;)

:ok:

3 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

I think the problem is that the SFA (& other clubs) as an organisation are forcing people to wear them.

You wouldn't be happy if your place of work forced you to do it against your own will.

Its purely an individuals choice.

I think it's more the public-facing nature of it, and the fact the matches are broadcast to a wide audience.  Much like you'd expect every newsreader on mainstream television to wear a poppy or every keynote speaker at a large conference to wear a poppy.  It seems much of it is just about being told from higher up to look like you support the cause regardless of whether or not you actually do because "the World is watching".  The opposition from FIFA or whoever last time just seemed to muddy the waters further.

4 hours ago, scottincarlisle said:

I think the problem is that the SFA (& other clubs) as an organisation are forcing people to wear them.

You wouldn't be happy if your place of work forced you to do it against your own will.

Its purely an individuals choice.

Who's forcing who to wear them? Pretty sure some of the celtic team didnt wear them

1 minute ago, girvanTA said:

Who's forcing who to wear them? Pretty sure some of the celtic team didnt wear them

The SFA will be, for one. Do you think they're asking each player individually about having a poppy on their shirt? Or do you think they're just putting them on there and expecting the players to wear them? 

12 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Ok if they were being forced to wear them, how many celtic players or coaching staff wore one on Saturday against St Johnstone. Pretty sure no one is being forced to do anything

I never said Celtic players were being forced. You're claiming "no-one" is being forced. Now, while i agree that no one is being held at gun point and made to wear one, i think you need to look at what people who have chosen to not wear a poppy have been forced to go through, just for taking that stance. One footballer has been made a pariah and received death threats for refusing to wear a poppy. 

When you put it in that context, IMO it's pretty easy to see why people may feel like that it's just easier to wear one, even if they disagree with doing so. 

15 minutes ago, Ormond said:

You are an absolute walloper. So because someone refuses to agree with you then that makes them vile and a cretin? 

So, I have just received a warning point for this. What a joke. When somebody is throwing insults at someone calling them vile and a cretin I get an official warning point that will never expire it says. 

15 minutes ago, Ormond said:

So, I have just received a warning point for this. What a joke. When somebody is throwing insults at someone calling them vile and a cretin I get an official warning point that will never expire it says. 

Seems a bit ridiculous. “Walloper” is a word which should be encouraged, no word sounds more Scottish than “walloper” 😂