Should We Don Poppies On Our Kits vs The Netherlands - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should We Don Poppies On Our Kits vs The Netherlands

DoonTheSlope

Should We Don Poppies On Our Kits vs The Netherlands  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should Each Player Don A Poppy On Their Kit vs The Netherlands

• Yes
    • No

44 minutes ago, Scotland Ever More said:

Nothing says dignified remembrance like football players running around with a huge poppy on their shirts, that was put there by someone else 

:lol: ^

cue another media mountain mole hill probably 

Always used to wear one (I remember chocking up a bit seeing the wee flowers growing in northern France), but turned off now by the politicization of them.   Is it in your contact to wear one in a BBC studio?   Sportscene in October ffs.

I imagine its pressure to avoid hate mail.   Or fear MI5 will have you out.   Howzat for a mole hill :lol:

12 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Always used to wear one (I remember chocking up a bit seeing the wee flowers growing in northern France), but turned off now by the politicization of them.   Is it in your contact to wear one in a BBC studio?   Sportscene in October ffs.

I imagine its pressure to avoid hate mail.   Or fear MI5 will have you out.   Howzat for a mole hill :lol:

BabyCoco.jpg

This issue really needs to be kept out of football.

If any player really wants to wear one then they should be allowed to, but it should not be an en masse decision. We're all individuals with differing views and to make an entire squad conform with one view is wrong and in all honesty completely unnecessary.

No place in football for this.

One man's view:- "Heaven be thanked that the soldiers of the Great War cannot return today to discover how their sacrifice has been turned into a fashion appendage."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-do-those-who-flaunt-the-poppy-on-their-lapels-know-that-they-mock-the-war-dead-6257416.html

22 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

My view is that if a player wants to wear it he or she should.  As others have said, it’s a personal decision.

Look at the vitriol heaped on that Irish guy that plays in England that won't wear a poppy.

10 minutes ago, Flure said:

Look at the vitriol heaped on that Irish guy that plays in England that won't wear a poppy.

On 30/10/2017 at 6:41 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

No.

It's time to put this nauseating, jingoistic celebration of militarism, death and destruction in the bin where it belongs :ok:

Look at the vitriol heaped on those that do.

I agree with Malcolm in that it should be a personal decision and not forced on anyone.

Found that an interesting article mind.

It’s really nothing to do with the players anymore than a shirt sponsor has anything to do with a club player. 

If the SFA want to put a poppy on their shirts, and can do so within the rules then that’s up to them. 

Having said that, if a player feels strongly about not wearing a poppy then they should be able to opt out without experiencing abuse from fans or the press. 

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s really nothing to do with the players anymore than a shirt sponsor has anything to do with a club player. 

If the SFA want to put a poppy on their shirts, and can do so within the rules then that’s up to them. 

Having said that, if a player feels strongly about not wearing a poppy then they should be able to opt out without experiencing abuse from fans or the press. 

It's not the SFA wearing the shirts. They can wear them on their blazers if they really feel the need.