Irrelevant and Alarming - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Irrelevant and Alarming

Just thought I'd highlight this as it now appears as a main forum/sub thread on the main screen. May be an insight into the background of the new custodians. I think the history of this board proves that the folks who like to discuss betting are more than capable of creating their own threads etc. The fact that this has been manufactured quickly under the new regime has me asking some questions. 

We are bombarded by gambling advertising every time we watch a sporting event - those that want to seek it out on here can do so by creating/visiting the "coupon" thread or whatever. We don't need a separate space highlighted on the homepage for this.

For me it cheapens the TAMB experience

5 hours ago, morrie21 said:

Just thought I'd highlight this as it now appears as a main forum/sub thread on the main screen. May be an insight into the background of the new custodians. I think the history of this board proves that the folks who like to discuss betting are more than capable of creating their own threads etc. The fact that this has been manufactured quickly under the new regime has me asking some questions. 

We are bombarded by gambling advertising every time we watch a sporting event - those that want to seek it out on here can do so by creating/visiting the "coupon" thread or whatever. We don't need a separate space highlighted on the homepage for this.

Tend to agree with this. 

One thread on other TA football is enough. 

I like a punt as much as anyone else, (especially yesterday) :), but I would tend to agree. The thread in other football is just fine, it hasn’t been visited much recently, so would think this section is needed. 

Weve got a general betting thread and one appears for horse festivals when necessary, golf and darts make the odd appearance too. 

I would scrap this one if I was given the choice, clear up space on the homepage a bit. 

Other than that, good job so far. 

We will take this on board and into our thoughts. As mentioned elsewhere we are trying things to see what works and what doesn't. This may be something that doesn't but we can only try different things and will be happy to admit things that don't work.

I agree that there is far too much advertising for gambling these days. Gambling addiction is a bigger problem than most folk realise. But some folk on the TAMB like to gamble. Just like some folk like to drink alcohol. A separate gambling section might make it easier to avoid, for those folk who want to, or those folk who NEED to?

9 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I agree that there is far too much advertising for gambling these days. Gambling addiction is a bigger problem than most folk realise. But some folk on the TAMB like to gamble. Just like some folk like to drink alcohol. A separate gambling section might make it easier to avoid, for those folk who want to, or those folk who NEED to?

I chucked gambling hopefully for good in may this year not saying ur taking crap just maybe  not addicted to gambling but this post is a beacon to anybody who has a gambling problem didn't want to appear to be hypocritical but thought why has this section been created as soon as I seen it the other day wanted to say something but thought each to there own n kept my mouth shut I'm glad so many people see this section as unnecessary well said the op

11 hours ago, TAMB1 said:

We will take this on board and into our thoughts. As mentioned elsewhere we are trying things to see what works and what doesn't. This may be something that doesn't but we can only try different things and will be happy to admit things that don't work.

Sorry skipped by this post enough said then

I doubt there’s enough gambling related chat to be worth a separate forum, if anything you should be condensing the number of separate forums.

Unless people have an objection to the coupons thread being in the general Football section, there and AOB or other sport are fine. (I’d bin other sports too and just Use AOB for other sports.)

On 10/23/2017 at 1:01 AM, morrie21 said:

We refute any suggestion of commercial interest.

We were warned that all sorts of conspiracy theorists / allegations / nonsense would be thrown in our direction, on any and every topic, but the speed of this one has taken us by surprise.

2 minutes ago, TAMB2 said:

We were warned that all sorts of conspiracy theorists / allegations / nonsense would be thrown in our direction, on any and every topic, but the speed of this one has taken us by surprise.

Are you a new start?;)

If you think that's quick just wait until the serious conspiracy mob get back from holiday. They seem to have disappeared for a while.

34 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Are you a new start?;)

If you think that's quick just wait until the serious conspiracy mob get back from holiday. They seem to have disappeared for a while.

Ach, shite!

But, and it's an important but, there have been many good points made in this thread. We thank everyone for their comments.

After discussion and taking everyones points on board we have removed the gambling forum. 

We've also moved politics into a sub section of Anything goes. We still believe there may be use in this one but will monitor how it goes.

4 hours ago, TAMB2 said:

4 hours ago, Orraloon said:

Are you a new start?;)

I think that was partly down to the perceived lack of communication at the time. When there was any, the tone wasn't great, it seemed like all humour had gone. That's my take on it anyway.

I think the way the new (and probably some of the old) team have gone about things has been really good and I doubt you'll see many complaints. It seems to be an enjoyable place to be again.

Maybe the days of the message board aren't over after all? Maybe they can sit alongside social media and even use it to their advantage?

6 hours ago, TAMB2 said:

Sorry to disappoint but I'm not a conspiracy theorist - just questioned why the topic of gambling was instantly given its own thread.

Most of the replies seem to be in agreement and it has now been removed so clearly wasn't taken as "nonsense" by your colleagues.