Dundee Utd so insignificant they don't even warrant a crisis thread any more - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dundee Utd so insignificant they don't even warrant a crisis thread any more

It's sad but it's true.  

Anyway, McKinnon's arse is oot the windae and rightly so after two of the most adject performances endured by supporters in many the long year (well, since that 3-1 cuffing at home to Hamilton Accies just before relegation in 2016).  

I'll tell you how bad it is - John Hughes is apparently the front runner and I'm thinking "maybe that would be ok".  That's bad. 

Modern football - 2 bad showings = a manager getting binned.

I remember when the UK media used to rip the pish out of Spanish/Italian clubs for stuff like this back in the day. Now it is normal in the EPL and is sadly spreading into all levels of domestic football on this island.

Obviously you are way more qualified to comment on the Dundee Utd situation than I am but I just think this is an example of the madness of modern football.

I hate modern football

6 hours ago, morrie21 said:

I remember when the UK media used to rip the pish out of Spanish/Italian clubs for stuff like this back in the day. Now it is normal in the EPL and is sadly spreading into all levels of domestic football on this island.

Obviously you are way more qualified to comment on the Dundee Utd situation than I am but I just think this is an example of the madness of modern football.

I hate modern football

It's not just two bad showings though.  I'm usually the last to think the manager should go (and I probably am here as well) but bar two games this season United have been awful. Another season in the nether reaches is unthinkable so panic button pushed.  

I do agree with your point in general though.  

23 hours ago, morrie21 said:

I hate modern football

Unfortunately most of his 70+ games have been generally between dire and shocking on the scale.

the triple whammy subbie on Saturday summed him up Murdoch for mcmullan with Toshney to ch and Durnan shoved up front......feckin clueless decisions .....and at 2-0 down !

I understand why he did it but McKinnon made a mistake moving from Raith to United. Everyone lost out sadly! Raith lost because we lost a manager who was taking us places (and ended up with the Hughes/Locke duo that relegated us) and McKinnon could easily have kept taking Rovers forward - he had the nucleus of a really good squad.

None the less - I understand why he did it, but wonder if he regrets it now.

On 23/10/2017 at 7:16 AM, adamntg said:

It's not just two bad showings though.  I'm usually the last to think the manager should go (and I probably am here as well) but bar two games this season United have been awful. Another season in the nether reaches is unthinkable so panic button pushed.  

I do agree with your point in general though.  

To be honest I just looked at the league and noticed you were in the playoff places, that was the basis for my posting. You attend the games and therefore have a far better perspective on the Dundee Utd situation than I do. Just noticed there he has officially gone now, any idea who they will look to bring in now?

19 minutes ago, jailender said:

I would think that John Hughes is one of the favourites, as they tried to nick him from ICT when he was there.

He was brutal at Raith. took us from 6th to 9th to relegation in the playoffs. He didn't have a clue on his best team, played players out of position, and couldn't get the players up for the big matches at the end of the season.

He made a total arse of it.

1 hour ago, Cove_Sheep said:

Mark McGhee is available...

Just-three-points McGhee.  Bleurgh 

I’d be happy with any of Jon Daly, Billy McKinlay, Christian Dailly or Duncan Ferguson.  We haven’t given anyone their first managerial job since Jim McLean so I think it’s time. 

In fact, how about a Dailly/Dunc dream team?  I remember just about the only game they played up front for Utd in front of 1500 at Love Street and we thought we’d seen the future. 

It’s gonna be “Yogi” isn’t it?  He can’t even speak properly. 

to be honest Utd are a bit of a poisoned chalice - had a few wins in 80/90's but never managed to keep it constant

Macnamara being a recent disaster who was doing OK with us at Firhill before moving and now McKinnon jumping ship from Raith - I'd reckon they both regret moving but can't blame them if the money was better

Yogi hughes - ffs good luck with that if it happens!

Edited by Topcat

9 minutes ago, kumnio said:

I think you should stay away from the ex player thing, you’ve had so many disasters with them recently. 

Sturrock was a bad one when he left us. Not nice to see one of any club’s best suffer like that. Unless of course it’s Ally McCoist. 

10 hours ago, Topcat said:

to be honest Utd are a bit of a poisoned chalice - had a few wins in 80/90's but never managed to keep it constant

Macnamara being a recent disaster who was doing OK with us at Firhill before moving and now McKinnon jumping ship from Raith - I'd reckon they both regret moving but can't blame them if the money was better

Yogi hughes - ffs good luck with that if it happens!

No this one again!  17 consecutive top five finishes from 1976 - 1993, 14 European qualifications, 11 cup finals.  If that's not constant I don't know what is.  And until relegation last year United had eight consecutive top six finishes and five cup finals in ten years.

Mcnamara had a couple of great seasons at United when he arrived, finished 4th and 5th and another two cup finals.  Some of the football played in 2013/14 with Gauld, Armstrong, Robertson, GMS and Ciftci was the best we've seen at Tannadice since those "few wins" in the eighties.  There was a spell through Nov/Dec 2013 where United scored at least four goals in five consecutive games.  11 times that season they scored four or more in a game and 18 times they scored at least three.

Of course, modern football being what it is it could never last and all the stars were sold, but JM was on a cut of the £12m+ they raised in transfer fees so he'll have done ok out of it.  His problem was that he couldn't recover from the insane decision to sell Armstrong and GMS in January 2015 while the club were a couple of points off top of the league and about to play Celtic in another cup final.  That ripped the heart out of the club, the players downed and it's all been one way since that fateful day.

It's going to be difficult to get out of the Championship, but United are still the sixth biggest club in the country and as such I would hope it was an attractive enough job that we don't have to settle for Yogi feckin' Hughes.