Dundee Utd so insignificant they don't even warrant a crisis thread any more - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dundee Utd so insignificant they don't even warrant a crisis thread any more

1993 was almost two and a half decades ago, I think what happened up until then can be forgottten about. 

You have been decent the last decade, but most probably over achieved in that time. 

Fans who think their club is something always amuse me, what happened five years ago doesn't count now, let alone decades ago. 

30 minutes ago, kumnio said:

1993 was almost two and a half decades ago, I think what happened up until then can be forgottten about. 

You have been decent the last decade, but most probably over achieved in that time. 

Fans who think their club is something always amuse me, what happened five years ago doesn't count now, let alone decades ago. 

1993 was just a retort to the suggestion that United had "a few wins in the 80/90s but nothing constant" which is patent bollocks.  The sixties and seventies were good for United, but the sustained success of the 80s and early 90s were exceptional and were the period that really established them as the pre-eminent club in the city which would've been unthinkable only 20 years earlier.  The pecking order in football changes at a glacial pace, United's usurping of Dundee took 30 years of finishing above them in the league.  I can't think of another example of an establishment team losing their top spot to a second division diddy club anywhere - can you?  

I don't think United have been over-achieving in the last decade.  Football clubs tend to arrange themselves in order of attendances (and therefore resources) over the medium/long term.  United are the sixth biggest supported club in the country (oh yes they are) and sixth should be the benchmark.  Fourth or fifth is within reasonable expectations, lower than eighth is not so good.  Third is over-achieving.

Mid-table in the Championship is diabolical for a club of United's size.

Edited by adamntg

You’ve been out of the Premiership for just over one season, and while this season hasn’t went to plan, you’re within 4 points of top spot. Utd fans are being a touch melodramatic here. 

If you’re the sixth biggest supporter club, then challenging for first spot is absolutely over achieving. 

Hearts and Hibs have had spells outside the top league, it happens from time to time. 

As for Dundee, we have been a basketcase of a club, for most of my life Utd have been above us, and I really don’t care. 

1 hour ago, kumnio said:

You’ve been out of the Premiership for just over one season, and while this season hasn’t went to plan, you’re within 4 points of top spot. Utd fans are being a touch melodramatic here. 

If you’re the sixth biggest supporter club, then challenging for first spot is absolutely over achieving. 

Hearts and Hibs have had spells outside the top league, it happens from time to time. 

As for Dundee, we have been a basketcase of a club, for most of my life Utd have been above us, and I really don’t care. 

We've only challenged the very top briefly, more of a solid fourth of fifth which is about our level. 

The football this season has been godawful though, really painful to watch.  And it's been getting worse if anything.

58 minutes ago, dan cake said:

but he kens the trade

We were speaking about that yesterday, his impassioned defence of Warburton was comical. Yogi and McGhee would be the worst appointments possible. 

Billy Reid rumours are gathering momentum, think he would be a really good choice. 

10 hours ago, adamntg said:

1993 was just a retort to the suggestion that United had "a few wins in the 80/90s but nothing constant" which is patent bollocks.  

was well aware of all of the Arab's near misses boss - but was mentioning that you only actually won a few things - all of which combined to give your fans a taste for something that really wasn't sustainable - the spiriting away of talented players like GA & GMS has been going on forever - whenever a Scottish team has a few good players they are spirited away to the blue/green filth for better wages and the competitive edge disappears from teams that could mount a challenge - had to laugh recently when the celtic were moaning about getting pumped in Europe and the other clubs were too rich blah blah - they've systematically done the same to their own league

11 minutes ago, Topcat said:

was well aware of all of the Arab's near misses boss - but was mentioning that you only actually won a few things - all of which combined to give your fans a taste for something that really wasn't sustainable - the spiriting away of talented players like GA & GMS has been going on forever - whenever a Scottish team has a few good players they are spirited away to the blue/green filth for better wages and the competitive edge disappears from teams that could mount a challenge - had to laugh recently when the celtic were moaning about getting pumped in Europe and the other clubs were too rich blah blah - they've systematically done the same to their own league

Happens all over the world.  Happens in Scotland outwith the Old Firm as well - United have pilfered their fair share of players from less prestigious clubs.  The difference now is that Bosman, TV money and the “Champions” League in particular mean the haves are richer than the have-nots by an astronomical margin. 

Can you imagine if Sturrock. Malpas, Narey etc came thru at United these days? We’d be lucky if we kept them for a season rather than their whole careers.  Harry Souttar played three matches and was sold.  Scott Allan became a Billy-Big-Boots after four first team games and was gone after eight. Kieran Freeman didn’t even make one appearance before he moved to Southampton. 

It’s a tough gig supporting a diddy team these days.  

Edited by adamntg

easier supporting a diddy team like the thistle - top 6 last year was a wee luxury and a cup run would be nice as it's been a long while - we have lower expectations and travel more in hope than expectation - still happy with Archie even though we're bottom - expectations for new Utd  manager will be enormous - would take any lot in the play offs but not the Arabs - still have nightmares from '96 :(

9 hours ago, Topcat said:

easier supporting a diddy team like the thistle - top 6 last year was a wee luxury and a cup run would be nice as it's been a long while - we have lower expectations and travel more in hope than expectation - still happy with Archie even though we're bottom - expectations for new Utd  manager will be enormous - would take any lot in the play offs but not the Arabs - still have nightmares from '96 :(

What a night that was!  Up there with Scottish Cup wins and beating Barcelona. 

14 hours ago, adamntg said:

What a night that was!  Up there with Scottish Cup wins and beating Barcelona. 

:lol: glad you enjoyed yourself!

should have had a penalty in last minute of the ninety but didn't deserve it due to having quite possible our worst ever strip on that night - it was the only time I've ever came close to a quivering lip and a good greet ya khunts!

7 hours ago, Topcat said:

should have had a penalty in last minute of the ninety but didn't deserve it due to having quite possible our worst ever strip on that night - it was the only time I've ever came close to a quivering lip and a good greet ya khunts!

Dive outside the box if I recall correctly. ;)

Having said that, getting a penalty in the last minute is no guarantee of anything - just ask Rangers. 

9 hours ago, Topcat said:

Rab Shannon on Ian Cameron wasn’t it. Thought it was a penalty myself right enough. 

One of THE great celebrations when Welsh nodded in that equaliser! ✊🏼

Great result and pretty good performance today.  Result wasn’t really in doubt from the first minute.  Having Scott Fraser back made a huge difference.  Dominated game as I would’ve hoped a United squad would in tier 2. 

Edited by adamntg

8 hours ago, ShedTA said:

My mate pinged me a Twitter link to a post by johnjames who reckons Thompson has sold utd to an American business interest. I guess this may be a good barometer of whether the guy does know his stuff or whether he is full of pish.

Glad to hear johnjames is still around. I though the UVF/UDA and or/the Mexicans were going to take him out :lol: 

16 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

BBC reporting Hughes and Laszlo apparently in the frame.

They might as well give Laszlo a shot. 

14 hours ago, Pool Q said:

Even in a pretty crowded field, Hughes must be the ultimate 'How the feck does he keep getting decent jobs?' of them all. Always struck me as a nice bloke. But clueless.

He has lots of pals working in the game and in the media who look out for him and always talk him up.  

I've heard quite a few stories about him being a pretty horrible bully towards young players.

Edited by ErsatzThistle