What do you want to see? - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What do you want to see?

5 hours ago, DavyP said:

You're lucky...my adverts are all in Greek 😂

So instead of ‘Angela is now only 2 miles away from you.’ You’re getting ‘Ariadne is now onky 3K away from you’?

4 hours ago, Bobster said:

Isn't it normally you fighting for a roll with bacon and tom?

*If you ate bacon that is.

I’d fight any eedjit who thinks it’s okay to eat fried eggs on toast! 😤

(Where’s the wee bit to change letter sizes moved to?) 

4 hours ago, Flure said:

Oh, no.

No bacon for the G-man.

On 2 levels!!

Or 3 if Billy was involved in the conversation! 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩  😆

Here is a thought. What if there were more sections that had a permanent 'gallery' of material on particular themes. I am thinking of two in particular

- Celebrating Scotland players (Scotland greats, stalwarts, talismen, great hopes, etc). It would be like a fans' eye hall of fame. Each player would have his (or her) own permanent thread,  and members could then add facts, links to facts elsewhere, impressions, appreciations, anecdotes (including knowing them outside football) so this material is all in one place. Obviously for some players much of this is well known but for others, it could be a place for unsung heroes to be sung. So not just your Dalglishes and Fletchers, but the Macarthurs, Daillies, Beatties, people who got us late winners, or who 'took one for the team', maybe one game wonders, especially those who scored then disappeared (Clarkson?), but who all did something for the cause, seen through a Scotland lens (wikipedia entries usually are dominated by club career).

- Celebrating Scotland games. As above but focusing on specific games, the agonies and ecstacies, last minute winners, must-win games won or lost, performances that got managers sacked,  etc. - obviously there are match reports elsewhere, but this would be all from a fans' eye view, like the goal you missed because you were going for a pie, or the actions/reactions of the travelling fans, things the armchair fans would miss. Yet they may share vivid memories of the game itself, and this could be a sort of bridge to the armchair fans and other onlookers, that could help generate interest in actually going to the games. At the moment most of the match related info and discussion, although ultimately more essential purpose at the time, like tickets and travel, is not of general interest to the outsider, and is rapidly out of date, mostly* of limited archival interest. But even armchair fans could be tempted to write in and tell a memory of a game, chip in a programme cover image, or link to a match report, or a photo, the idea to increase interest and traffic to the site, and eventually feed through to attendance. (*the Match thread could be added for fun, so people could look back and see the 'action as it happened' as it appeared to board posters.)

Other categories could be managers, tournaments, stadia, even strips, anything where there's a distinct set of things that there could be a collective view of things accumulating over time that could be built up over years and not just lost.

I just wonder if it could help make the site more of a source of information - biased in favour of scotland, of course, which most other sites don't - that outsiders could be attracted to, for vivid and authentic information from a fan point of view....

We need less sections not more! How often would a section on strips or stadiums be used or even visited! You would run out of things to say pretty quickly!

That is why the politics section isn't really needed. It splits anything goes into two and people are less likely to visit multiple sections which will reduce the amount of posts. I will look at anything goes but not bother visiting the politics section even tho I'm interested I it, I can't really be bothered looking at too many diff sections.  A quick scan of anything goes, non ta football and ta specific is what I normally do. It isn't like the anything goes room is so busy that posts are disappearing onto page 2 in a day. 

Looking at anything goes 5 of the first 10 posts are politics related anyway!

That's why I'd be in favour of home games and ta clubs merging with ta specific. It would create a busier forum. There are only ever a few active threads in those other rooms anyway.

Edited by iainmac1

2 hours ago, iainmac1 said:

That's why I'd be in favour of home games and ta clubs merging with ta specific. It would create a busier forum. There are only ever a few active threads in those other rooms anyway.

Agreed. I rarely look in the home games forum and never in the clubs forum. Merging them with TA specific would make sense. 

I'm finding this discussion about forums and subforums quite interesting.

I never see them.

My preferred access point is always through "Unread Content". That bypasses all the Forums.

I just scroll down through the threads, click on something that looks interesting and pass by the rest.

Perhaps, I'm missing something by doing this and going thro forum by forum is "better". Is it?

5 hours ago, Flure said:

I'm finding this discussion about forums and subforums quite interesting.

I never see them.

My preferred access point is always through "Unread Content". That bypasses all the Forums.

I just scroll down through the threads, click on something that looks interesting and pass by the rest.

Perhaps, I'm missing something by doing this and going thro forum by forum is "better". Is it?

That's what I do as well. Seems to work fine for me.

22 hours ago, exile said:

Here is a thought. What if there were more sections that had a permanent 'gallery' of material on particular themes. I am thinking of two in particular

- Celebrating Scotland players (Scotland greats, stalwarts, talismen, great hopes, etc). It would be like a fans' eye hall of fame. Each player would have his (or her) own permanent thread,  and members could then add facts, links to facts elsewhere, impressions, appreciations, anecdotes (including knowing them outside football) so this material is all in one place. Obviously for some players much of this is well known but for others, it could be a place for unsung heroes to be sung. So not just your Dalglishes and Fletchers, but the Macarthurs, Daillies, Beatties, people who got us late winners, or who 'took one for the team', maybe one game wonders, especially those who scored then disappeared (Clarkson?), but who all did something for the cause, seen through a Scotland lens (wikipedia entries usually are dominated by club career).

- Celebrating Scotland games. As above but focusing on specific games, the agonies and ecstacies, last minute winners, must-win games won or lost, performances that got managers sacked,  etc. - obviously there are match reports elsewhere, but this would be all from a fans' eye view, like the goal you missed because you were going for a pie, or the actions/reactions of the travelling fans, things the armchair fans would miss. Yet they may share vivid memories of the game itself, and this could be a sort of bridge to the armchair fans and other onlookers, that could help generate interest in actually going to the games. At the moment most of the match related info and discussion, although ultimately more essential purpose at the time, like tickets and travel, is not of general interest to the outsider, and is rapidly out of date, mostly* of limited archival interest. But even armchair fans could be tempted to write in and tell a memory of a game, chip in a programme cover image, or link to a match report, or a photo, the idea to increase interest and traffic to the site, and eventually feed through to attendance. (*the Match thread could be added for fun, so people could look back and see the 'action as it happened' as it appeared to board posters.)

Other categories could be managers, tournaments, stadia, even strips, anything where there's a distinct set of things that there could be a collective view of things accumulating over time that could be built up over years and not just lost.

I just wonder if it could help make the site more of a source of information - biased in favour of scotland, of course, which most other sites don't - that outsiders could be attracted to, for vivid and authentic information from a fan point of view....

It's a nice idea but too many sub forums and sections would be a nightmare to navigate through. Less is more.

Instead what you want to do if you are really keen on this is create one of those wiki sites dedicated entirely to the Scotland national team and get people involved to start doing the player and manager biographies, match reports, photos and all that kind of thing.

If you want a good example of one look up this one that grew out of the KerrydaleSteet forums (a bunch of wänkers of course but fair play, their wiki is one of the best) http://www.thecelticwiki.com/  . A massive collection of individual player biographies, photos, old newspaper and magazine scans, memorabilia, the youth teams, match reports etc. 

The closest thing we have to a wiki for the Scotland national team is the SFA's very basic database that tells you the essential information but doesn't really provide you with much in depth information. And then there's the slightly more detailed LondonHearts database of Scotland players and games. Which does have a fair bit of detail but is outdated and not very "user friendly".

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

It's a nice idea but too many sub forums and sections would be a nightmare to navigate through. Less is more.

Instead what you want to do if you are really keen on this is create one of those wiki sites dedicated entirely to the Scotland national team and get people involved to start doing the player and manager biographies, match reports, photos and all that kind of thing.

If you want a good example of one look up this one that grew out of the KerrydaleSteet forums (a bunch of wänkers of course but fair play, their wiki is one of the best) http://www.thecelticwiki.com/  . A massive collection of individual player biographies, photos, old newspaper and magazine scans, memorabilia, the youth teams, match reports etc.

Yes that's the kind of thing I was thinking of - so, such things do exist!

I'd see it as a separate part of the site, it needn't be a nightmare to navigate through,  it wouldn't be somewhere you'd have to be regularly checking out trying to keep track of content; because the items would be fixed, particular players or games would stay put. I'd see it more of a place that you'd go to build permanent content, as much as or more than to go there to exchange views.

It may be felt to be too different from the current set-up. But, it'd be trying something different, so be it.