Scott McTominay - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

CNelson

10 minutes ago, Lion Rampant said:

Don't think he sees Scotland as his first choice. Knocked back an U21 call up recently I think.

"McTominay was born in England, but has Scottish ancestry and has stated he believes his international future will be with Scotland rather than his country of birth. He has attended training camps with the Scottish youth sides, but has not yet played for Scotland at any level.[4]"

Didnt know he had knocked back an U21 cap but maybe give him a senior run out if the above is true.

He's quoted as saying that he feels more Scottish than English, but that was a while ago.

He was called up for the first round of U21 fixtures but knocked it back saying he wanted more time to decide on his international future. He wasn't in the squad for the last round of games, so it looks like he's not made a decision yet.

This sort of thing always divides opinion on this site. I'm of the opinion that if McTominay considers himself Scottish and his first choice is to play for us then I don't care where he was born, but it sounds like he's holding out for an England call up. If that's the case (admittedly I'm speculating) then he can play for them.

I could be calling this one wrong, but sounds to me, that he pretty torn which way to go. Which is fair enough since he was born and brough up in england with english mates.

Dont think this one a Sam Gallagher sisutation who used us till england came calling and more of a Charile Gilmour.

Edited by bookerman

45 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Speaking of a Gilmour, I hope Billy Gilmoure makes it. What a prospect he is!

He's at Chelsea. Their record of bringing through players is awful and there aren't many examples of their young players doing well after leaving Chelsea. 

50 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

He's at Chelsea. Their record of bringing through players is awful and there aren't many examples of their young players doing well after leaving Chelsea. 

Solanke switched to Liverpool and seems to have had a good start there. Looks a handful when he's played.
Chalobah was a regular for watford until getting injured.
Ake went for 20mil after looking like a very capable premier league centerback last year.
Traore now a starter for Leon after leaving Chelsea in the summer for 9mil.
Lewis Baker, regular starter for Middlesboro, out on loan.
Ola Aina, regular starter for Hull, out on loan.
Jamal Blackman, number 1 for Sheffield United, out on loan.
Jeramie Boga, regular for Birmingham, out on loan.
Tammy Abraham, starter for Swansea with 5 goals in 10 in the Prem, out on loan.
Tomas Kalas, starter for Fulham, out on loan.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek, regular for Palace, out on loan.

All young players doing well (on the whole) from Chelsea right now. I think they're actually doing better than most in terms of how many players they turn into actual pros at the level we draw our squad from.

I have no worries about the quality of Gilmour's football education. It's very likely he'll be capped for Scotland in the future, given the raw material that went in and the ability of Chelsea to bring players thru. The problem is we're not likely to see him for several years, while he's in those Chelsea youth sides. In 3-4 years he might go out on loan to a Championship side and that's the first we'll see of him, and that's frustrating as someone who wants to see how he develops. I guess we're lucky we have a strong central midfield and can afford to wait a few years for him.

51 minutes ago, andyD said:

Solanke switched to Liverpool and seems to have had a good start there. Looks a handful when he's played.
Chalobah was a regular for watford until getting injured.
Ake went for 20mil after looking like a very capable premier league centerback last year.
Traore now a starter for Leon after leaving Chelsea in the summer for 9mil.
Lewis Baker, regular starter for Middlesboro, out on loan.
Ola Aina, regular starter for Hull, out on loan.
Jamal Blackman, number 1 for Sheffield United, out on loan.
Jeramie Boga, regular for Birmingham, out on loan.
Tammy Abraham, starter for Swansea with 5 goals in 10 in the Prem, out on loan.
Tomas Kalas, starter for Fulham, out on loan.
Ruben Loftus-Cheek, regular for Palace, out on loan.

All young players doing well (on the whole) from Chelsea right now. I think they're actually doing better than most in terms of how many players they turn into actual pros at the level we draw our squad from.

I have no worries about the quality of Gilmour's football education. It's very likely he'll be capped for Scotland in the future, given the raw material that went in and the ability of Chelsea to bring players thru. The problem is we're not likely to see him for several years, while he's in those Chelsea youth sides. In 3-4 years he might go out on loan to a Championship side and that's the first we'll see of him, and that's frustrating as someone who wants to see how he develops. I guess we're lucky we have a strong central midfield and can afford to wait a few years for him.

It's encouraging to read that, cheers. 

What type of midfielder is he? Hopefully more a creator than destroyer.

13 hours ago, bookerman said:

I could be calling this one wrong, but sounds to me, that he pretty torn which way to go. Which is fair enough since he was born and brough up in england with english mates.

Dont think this one a Sam Gallagher sisutation who used us till england came calling and more of a Charile Gilmour.

Agree with this. He is born and bred in England so he deserves a bit of time to make his mind up on what he wants to do regarding his international career. Its better that than switching between sides in a couple of years. Hopefully he chooses Scotland and goes onto be a top player but if he chooses England then fair play to him and I wish him well. 

10 hours ago, Dave78 said:

It's encouraging to read that, cheers. 

What type of midfielder is he? Hopefully more a creator than destroyer.

He looks like a Luka modric type of midfielder. Has great passing and can hit a long range shot. He has scored about 3 or 4 in his first 4 games in the  u18 team. All of which were long range crackers. He looks young physically so it could be a few years before we really see him get first team football. Not sure if it was the right move for him as Chelsea don't bring through youth and he would of had a better chance of first team football at rangers. Hopefully a loan move will see him get first team football in a couple of years. Chelsea however do produce a good level of pro but just not guys good enough for their first team.

9 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

Just to get you up to speed, he has a similar style to Modric but edges it on natural ability.

Thats great.... if he is as good as modric I will be seeing him soon playing regular first team football at the top end of the premiership :-)