Canary Islands - General Travel - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Canary Islands

PapofGlencoe

The Canary Islands have a few different national parks.  Trying to decide which Island to go to for the best one?  Has anyone been to any of them or recommend?

There's a famous one in Tenerife but are any of the others better?

Looking for some decent mountain walks and maybe some bike routes.

Gran Canaria is fantastic for hill walking. The only decent map you will find is a German one. Can't remember what it's called but you'll find it if you google it. Gran Canaria is much greener and. I think, more interesting than Tenerife. Tenerife is very barren by comparison. 

Loads of cyclists go there as well. I've been told that a lot of the professionals go there for training. That's on the main roads. You can also do off road cycling but it's not something that I've ever done.

On 10/16/2017 at 4:01 PM, Orraloon said:

Gran Canaria is fantastic for hill walking. The only decent map you will find is a German one. Can't remember what it's called but you'll find it if you google it. Gran Canaria is much greener and. I think, more interesting than Tenerife. Tenerife is very barren by comparison. 

Loads of cyclists go there as well. I've been told that a lot of the professionals go there for training. That's on the main roads. You can also do off road cycling but it's not something that I've ever done.

Thanks for that, i'll have a look.:ok:  I think I would prefer the greener rather than the volcanic; I had an idea Tenerife was a bit volcanic but then saw they had some parks which i wasn't expecting.  I suppose it can have it's charms the barren landscape (we've got it here plenty!) but would rather something a bit more lively!

I think we'll probably go for gran canaria.  I'll put an update of how we get on.