Squad for Netherlands game - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Netherlands game

ProudScot

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I wasn’t suggesting that we shouldn’t play until the Nations League. There will be friendly dates before then.

I just can’t see the benefit of playing next month especially as we won’t have a permanent manager in place unless the SFA appoint someone in the next couple of weeks (highly unlikely). 

Celtic will possibly ask for their players not to be selected which will allow experimentation but unless it’s by our next permanent manager what’s the point?

It'll be nothing more than a 'B' fixture for both sides. It's only being advertised and treated as a full international so the sfa can charge top whack for match briefs*

*I've went full bawbag

Edited by DoonTheSlope

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Any Buddies think Lewis Morgan could be ready for full squad. Looked our best forward player v ingerland in u21 game recently.

Difficult to say Jacques. He's been on a different planet for many games this season(off the boil in the last two right enough). However he's been up against Scottish championship defences..not international class defenders. 

Counter that with excellent displays against both Holland and England U21s. 

Id love to see how he operates in a couple of friendlies but doubt he'll get a chance unless he gets a big move either in January or the summer. Potentially wonderful player for the future though..two great feet (so much so I'm still not sure what his 'real' side is), great pace and a good finisher. 

I think it's likely Brown will re-retire and we might see Fletcher go too. I don't see too much point in playing either in this game anyway. Hoping the new manager realises we would benefit from playing a 352 type formation - seems to be ideal for Robertson and Tierney who both need be in the team to be at our strongest. My squad for the Netherlands and beyond would be...

Gordon 34, McGregor 35, Archer 23

Paterson 23, Anya 29, Berra 32, Mulgrew 31, Lindsay 22, Cooper 26, Tierney 20, Robertson 23

Shinnie 26, McArthur 30, Cairney 26, Armstrong 25, McGregor 24, McGinn 22, Forrest 26, Fraser 23, Phillips 26, Snodgrass 30, Ritchie 28

Griffiths 27, Martin 28, Fletcher 30, Cummings 22 

I've left out the probable retirees Brown and D Fletcher plus Whittaker, Hanley, Morrison, Bannan. Callum Paterson was an obvious one to come in and i'd like to see him start over Tierney at right back (or hopefully RWB!). I've brought in Shinnie to play a defensive midfielder role, he'll probably have to play more restrictively than he does for Aberdeen but I feel he's disciplined enough to take on that responsibility. I think our best three attacking midfielders are Cairney, Armstrong and McGregor so don't have room for Bannan.  I think he's been poor for Scotland recently and offers little to no goal threat unlike the three mentioned.

I think the under 21's like John Souttar, Lewis Morgan and Oli Burke should be included in the future but they've made a good start to their group so i'd like them to concentrate on qualifying. 

And hopefully Stevie May, Jamie Walker and Barry McKay continue to impress so we can drop the likes of S Fletcher, Snodgrass and Ritchie. 

My team would be: 

GK Archer (would be good to integrate a younger keeper in)

RWB Paterson, CB Lindsay, CB Berra, CB Tierney, LWB Robertson

CM McGinn, CM Shinnie

CAM Cairney CAM Armstrong

ST Griffiths

51 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I wasn’t suggesting that we shouldn’t play until the Nations League. There will be friendly dates before then.

I just can’t see the benefit of playing next month especially as we won’t have a permanent manager in place unless the SFA appoint someone in the next couple of weeks (highly unlikely). 

Celtic will possibly ask for their players not to be selected which will allow experimentation but unless it’s by our next permanent manager what’s the point?

Granted, it’s far from ideal. 

However, every time you do something you learn something. Every time you do nothing you learn nothing. And the opportunity to do something with the national team doesn’t come round very often.

At the very least we’ll work out whether it’s worth playing friendlies at pittodrie in the future or not. Given the teuchters keep banging on about it.

7 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Granted, it’s far from ideal. 

However, every time you do something you learn something. Every time you do nothing you learn nothing. And the opportunity to do something with the national team doesn’t come round very often.

At the very least we’ll work out whether it’s worth playing friendlies at pittodrie in the future or not. Given the teuchters keep banging on about it.

Ach we’ve played plenty up there. It’s windy, cold and there’s a fair chance you’ll get shat on by a seagull. 

Pittodrie won’t be around for much longer anyway if that ex-wigged buffoon Milne gets is way. 

1 hour ago, DoonTheSlope said:

It'll be nothing more than a 'B' fixture for both sides. It's only being advertised and treated as a full international so the sfa can charge top whack for match briefs*

*I've went full bawbag

If they charge any more than £15 for this game it will be a disgrace. 

everyone moans about the timing of the game and it seems a waste of time 15 years ago berti vogts unearthed a young man call james mcfadden and we all know how he got on don we so no more of the meaning less game lets get it on thursday night or not

Edited by calum83

19 minutes ago, calum83 said:

everyone moans about the timing of the game and it seems a waste of time 15 years ago berti vogts unearthed a young man call james mcfadden and we all know how he got on don we so no more of the meaning less game lets get it on thursday night or not

I’m not sure he unearthed him. Most people had heard of him aleady. 

McFadden also wasn’t exactly Lionel Messi. He was a decent player for a short time that scored a couple of cracking goals. Nothing more. 

I don’t think Malky MacKay will unearth anyone in this meaningless game either. Happy to be proved wrong though. 

42 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m not sure he unearthed him. Most people had heard of him aleady. 

McFadden also wasn’t exactly Lionel Messi. He was a decent player for a short time that scored a couple of cracking goals. Nothing more. 

I don’t think Malky MacKay will unearth anyone in this meaningless game either. Happy to be proved wrong though. 

I know what your saying but McFadden was far more than that. Ability wise your probably about right,  but in terms of what he did for Scotland and the pleasure he gave to Scotland fans, McFaddens worth and his place in Scottish place in footballing history will stand the test of time. Probably our most revered player since dalglish.

th

5 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

I know what your saying but McFadden was far more than that. Ability wise your probably about right,  but in terms of what he did for Scotland and the pleasure he gave to Scotland fans, McFaddens worth and his place in Scottish place in footballing history will stand the test of time. Probably our most revered player since dalglish.

that was the point i was trying to make who could forget that night in paris like me i wasnt there that night but remember seeong it like we all do that goal will stand the test of time because it was france not some 2 bit pile of dog muck 

20 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

If that’s how you feel about McFadden then more power to you but my overall memory of him is frustration. His final ball was, more often than not, poor and I shouldn’t really say this on here (I’m expecting a backlash) but his goals against The Netherlands and France were both a bit flukey. 

Personally I think comparing him to King Kenny is ludicrous but we’re all entitled to our opinion and yours is just as valid as mine. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If that’s how you feel about McFadden then more power to you but my overall memory of him is frustration. His final ball was, more often than not, poor and I shouldn’t really say this on here (I’m expecting a backlash) but his goals against The Netherlands and France were both a bit flukey. 

Personally I think comparing him to King Kenny is ludicrous but we’re all entitled to our opinion and yours is just as valid as mine. 

Easy to forget now, but Mcfadden last cap was when he was 27-28 in his prime before  a Injurie wrecked his career.

He had scored 15 in 48 caps at that point. Who to say he would not have got close to Dalglish and Law goal scoring record

18 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I must say I’m surprised to hear anyone say their overall memory is of frustration, of course there was instances of that, comes with youth and his position. In a tortuous 20 years, for me McFadden has been the bright spot by an absolute mile, I cannot imagine what those 20 years would’ve been without him to look back on. Obviously I wasn’t comparing him to dalglish, i said since Kenny, which isn’t the same thing at all. 

4 minutes ago, Paulo2576 said:

I must say I’m surprised to hear anyone say their overall memory is of frustration, of course there was instances of that, comes with youth and his position. In a tortuous 20 years, for me McFadden has been the bright spot by an absolute mile, I cannot imagine what those 20 years would’ve been without him to look back on. Obviously I wasn’t comparing him to dalglish, i said since Kenny, which isn’t the same thing at all. 

Fair enough but if you say he is the most revered player since Dalglish then it kinda sounds like you’re comparing the two. I know what you mean though.

I’m not saying he wasn’t a good player for us. Of course he was.  I enjoyed watching him but I did find him frustrating at times. 

I wouldn’t expect wholesale changes and neither should there be unless we get a few retirals.

Expect Shinnie and McLean to be called up to appease the Aberdeen fans and boost the crowd.

Over and above that I’d like to see Cummings, Lindsay and Cairney called up.

11 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Dorrans will be in the squad if he continues with his current form.

Ive alaways liked dorrans but his time has been and if we are looking to move forward hes really not the answer

1 minute ago, Kirk said:

Ive alaways liked dorrans but his time has been and if we are looking to move forward hes really not the answer

He is only 30. I agree that we should be looking to blood new players but not sure if he is ready to be written off just yet. There are a few players that can assist in the transitional phase. The Euro Nations League means there will not really be anymore friendlies. 

19 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Dorrans will be in the squad if he continues with his current form.

Didn’t he ask not to be selected a couple of years ago? 

I can’t quite remember what happened but I’m sure he was having some personal problems and asked Strachan not to pick him or something.

He could have changed his mind I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

He is only 30. I agree that we should be looking to blood new players but not sure if he is ready to be written off just yet. There are a few players that can assist in the transitional phase. The Euro Nations League means there will not really be anymore friendlies. 

Yeah i realise that i would just like us to really go for it with youger players. Youre probably right and he may verynwell feature soon

Got to be something forward looking. Just to give people a chance of getting into the squad before the new fulltime manager is appointed. To play the Strachan squad again in this friendly would be pointless and not benefit us as a team.

This wouldn't be my regular squad, but this is an unusual event where we have nothing to play for and no manager, but a need to prepare to transition some of the players. Very much a case of offering fringe player an opportunity to show what they can do.

GK: Gordon, McGregor, Archer - Seem the best 3, Archer seems the most likely future custodian of the gloves right now.
RB: Paterson, Ralston - Paterson should be back fit in a week or two. Ralston is worth taking a gamble on to help him develop.
LB Robertson, Tierney, Douglas - Obvious 2 and Douglas to let us be more flexible with how we use the two.
CB: Mulgew, Berra, Hanley, Lindsey - The current 2 to keep the boat steady, but agian involving a younger player who's doing well.
DM: McDonald, Shinnie, Bridcutt, Fleck - Assuming Fletcher and Brown are over. We desperately need to blood these 4 and find out which can work well together. McDonald & Shinnie for a half, Bridcutt and Fleck for the other.
RM: Ritchie, Christie - Ritchie in of form, and Christie is probably worth a change to see what he can do.
LM: Fraser, Mackay-Steven - Got to try our other EPL winger and GMS looks like he's got a bit of his swagger back.
AM: McGregor, McGinn - The obvious backups to Armstrong.
ST: Griffiths, Cummings, May - Griff is too important to leave out. But a chance to give one of the others a run out as well.

Probably playing the usual 4231. I like 3421 as well, but since its a 'new' team, probably best to go with something where everyone knows the roles well.

21 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Surprised more players don't come to Scotland to improve their game and break into the national squad.

Earning a fraction of the wage you could get sitting on the bench in the english championship is probably a significant deterrent.
End fo the day, it's a short career and they need to make sure the bills get paid in years to come.

12 minutes ago, andyD said:

Earning a fraction of the wage you could get sitting on the bench in the english championship is probably a significant deterrent.
End fo the day, it's a short career and they need to make sure the bills get paid in years to come.

Tut, Tut missing my sarcasm expect better from you Andy