Squad for Netherlands game - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad for Netherlands game

ProudScot

Nobody is overly happy Mackay is in but let's look positively - Strachan is gone, some deadwood will go with him & we can now surely look forward to some younger & in form players being selected.

Here's my squad for next months friendly - some high profile omissions but I don't see the point in them being in the squad for this game;

GK: Archer, Gordon, Fulton 

DF: Ralston, Tierney, Robertson, Kingsley, J Souttar, Mulgrew, Cooper, McCrorie

MF: Brown, Armstrong, McGregor, Shinnie, McGinn, Forrest, Fraser, Fleck, McLean

FW: Griffiths, Rhodes, May, Cummings

Tierney could play centre back rather than forcing him out to the right. 

McCrorie, Ralston etc barely played senior footy but we have no senior good options so why not include them as they clearly have potential. 

if the 21s don't have a game then invite some young players with potential along to train with the senior side; Scott McKenna, Harry Souttar, Scott McTominay, Charlie Gilmour etc.

Edited by ProudScot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst im all for seeing the likes of macgregor and shinnie staking a claim you cant stop just picking the like of berra and fill you team with players barely getting a game for their club...that is a nonsense.

Hard to pick but at the moment this is who I'd select:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, Alan McGregor, Jordan Archer

Defenders: Charlie Mulgrew, Christophe Berra, Liam Lindsay, Kieran Tierney, Liam Cooper, Andy Robertson, John Souttar, Calum Paterson, 

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong, John McGinn, Calum McGregor, Tom Cairney, Matt Ritchie, Ryan Fraser, Kevin McDonald, Robert Snodgrass, Matt Phillips, James Morrison

Forwards: Leigh Griffiths, Stevie May, Chris Martin

Stephen Kingsley would have been in there but he is out injured until mid November.

Calum Paterson is back from injury and playing for Cardiff U23s just now, next step is breaking into their first team which I think he'll achieve.

Russell Martin needs to move to another club and get games, then we can have him back in the Scotland squad, a good player to have back available.

Wasn't sure about including Robert Snodgrass, James Morrison and Matt Phillips but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Graeme Shinnie, John Fleck, Cammy Kerr, Scott Bain and Chris Cadden were other players I thought about including.

For Anthony Ralston and Ross McCrorie it's just too early for them I feel, good luck to them both and let's keep our fingers crossed they both develop well.

I think Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher will retire from international football but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Craig Gordon, Steven Naismith, Alan McGregor, Steven Fletcher and James Morrison all retired from international football too.

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Hard to pick but at the moment this is who I'd select:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, Alan McGregor, Jordan Archer

Defenders: Charlie Mulgrew, Christophe Berra, Liam Lindsay, Kieran Tierney, Liam Cooper, Andy Robertson, John Souttar, Calum Paterson, 

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong, John McGinn, Calum McGregor, Tom Cairney, Matt Ritchie, Ryan Fraser, Kevin McDonald, Robert Snodgrass, Matt Phillips, James Morrison

Forwards: Leigh Griffiths, Stevie May, Chris Martin

Stephen Kingsley would have been in there but he is out injured until mid November.

Calum Paterson is back from injury and playing for Cardiff U23s just now, next step is breaking into their first team which I think he'll achieve.

Russell Martin needs to move to another club and get games, then we can have him back in the Scotland squad, a good player to have back available.

Wasn't sure about including Robert Snodgrass, James Morrison and Matt Phillips but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Graeme Shinnie, John Fleck, Cammy Kerr, Scott Bain and Chris Cadden were other players I thought about including.

For Anthony Ralston and Ross McCrorie it's just too early for them I feel, good luck to them both and let's keep our fingers crossed they both develop well.

I think Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher will retire from international football but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Craig Gordon, Steven Naismith, Alan McGregor, Steven Fletcher and James Morrison all retired from international footb

2 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Nobody is overly happy Mackay is in but let's look positively - Strachan is gone, some deadwood will go with him & we can now surely look forward to some younger & in form players being selected.

Here's my squad for next months friendly - some high profile omissions but I don't see the point in them being in the squad for this game;

McCrorie, Ralston etc barely played senior footy but we have no senior good options so why not include them as they clearly have potential. 

if the 21s don't have a game then invite some young players with potential along to train with the senior side; Scott McKenna, Harry Souttar, Scott McTominay, Charlie Gilmour etc.

The only player I wouldn’t pick from that is Rhodes, otherwise I’d have that squad before any of the tried and failed bunch from strachans era. 

Its time to blood these Young’s lads together but keeping Mulgrew, brown and Griffiths there for experience. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

The only player I wouldn’t pick from that is Rhodes, otherwise I’d have that squad before any of the tried and failed bunch from strachans era. 

Its time to blood these Young’s lads together but keeping Mulgrew, brown and Griffiths there for experience. 

Sort of agree, I think McKay & Cummings at Forest would be worth inclusion, I don't really follow English football that closely but they were on the fringes of squads previously and it wouldn't impact on the U-21's as they have a competitive fixture, that should rule out Ralston/McCrorie & Oliver Burke. 

14 minutes ago, spud1982 said:

I just can't see Fletcher retiring. I think he will make himself available to any manager, and play for a few more years if selected. 

Which is what anybody who loves their country would do. It’s the manager’s job to decide if you are done. Nobody should be refusing a jersey if handed to them. :ok:

7 hours ago, ProudScot said:

I think the opposite. Given his age, past problems with illness & how he will be 36 come the next tournament, can definitely see him retiring to prolong his club career.

The same move Scott Brown took at 30! 

2 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Unless it’s Matt Phillips . .  

Agreed

1 hour ago, bonny78 said:

What a pathetic game this is.  2 once proud nations reduced to a meaningless money making match on play off weekend.  I wont be going or watching if its on tv.  Cringe 

Weesht ya jobby

It’s a friendly against a poor Dutch side so I will expect the usual amount of ‘injury’ call offs. 

I’m not really sure of the benefit of this game to be honest. It’s not exactly going to make the SFA a lot of money and with almost a year until our next competitive match, what exactly is our interim manager (who probably won’t be in charge next year) going to learn?

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s a friendly against a poor Dutch side so I will expect the usual amount of ‘injury’ call offs. 

I’m not really sure of the benefit of this game to be honest. It’s not exactly going to make the SFA a lot of money and with almost a year until our next competitive match, what exactly is our interim manager (who probably won’t be in charge next year) going to learn?

Playing games rather than just sacking it for a year is a far more sensible thing to do. 

Should have a permanent manager in place though rather than this pish.

Not Darren Fletcher. I can’t take the lies anymore. Cost us two goals in Slovenia and led us in terrible performances vs Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia. All the while we pretend his ‘leadership’ and ‘big game experience’ is delivering us results. It’s got to stop, it’s bad for my health. 

awesome guy right enough.

57 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Playing games rather than just sacking it for a year is a far more sensible thing to do. 

Should have a permanent manager in place though rather than this pish.

I wasn’t suggesting that we shouldn’t play until the Nations League. There will be friendly dates before then.

I just can’t see the benefit of playing next month especially as we won’t have a permanent manager in place unless the SFA appoint someone in the next couple of weeks (highly unlikely). 

Celtic will possibly ask for their players not to be selected which will allow experimentation but unless it’s by our next permanent manager what’s the point?