Please not Alex McLeish - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Please not Alex McLeish

Haggis_trap

5 hours ago, McExpat said:

I feel the same for the most part, particularly rewarding him with a second chance after he walked on us first time around but the list of candidates is not brimming with great options and I feel he is a better choice than many of the others. 

He walked at the end of A campaign so i dont think that counts as doing the dirty on us.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

So : I am an Aberdeen fan.
McLeish and Miller were boyhood heros - great players.

However please don't make big 'eck the next Scotland manager.
He had his chance in 2007 but walked out on a team to go to Birmingham City...
Lets not forget this.
Call me old fashioned - but managing your country should the pinnacle of any managers career ?
Anyone getting the phone call from SFA should consider the job to be an honour, rather than stepping stone.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7114028.stm

The only reason McLeish wants back now is because his club career is over.

He never walked out, his contract expired.

Walter Smith walked out.

b41286ea4ea545501b8562067c38bc6d.jpg

6 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Totally agree. McLeish leaving for Birmingham after such a good campaign, and a decent draw for the next campaign, was hard to take. Birmingham FFS. 

His time as a decent manager has passed and he should not be considered. 

Tommy Docherty left us for Man Utd. A big club job will always trump what we can pay.

23 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Really? He's been rubbish for years now. 

You don’t just become a rubbish manager. 

Being successful at a football club with little or no budget (or even a half decent budget come to think of it) isn’t exactly easy.

Ever tried it?

18 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

They both walked out.

Smith for his dream job.

McLeish for erm... Birmingham

Walter left in the middle of a campaign. There's a massive difference. Walter already was manager of his dream job and retired from it to go to Everton where he done so shite he needed to use the Scotland job to weasel his way back into the "dream" rangers job. Guys a complete cock and deserves nothing but contempt.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Walter left in the middle of a campaign. There's a massive difference. Walter already was manager of his dream job and retired from it to go to Everton where he done so shite he needed to use the Scotland job to weasel his way back into the "dream" rangers job. Guys a complete cock and deserves nothing but contempt.

There's so much shiite in there I don't even know where to start ?

Just now, ProudScot said:

There's so much shiite in there I don't even know where to start ?

Lol like? Walter got offered the rangers job off the back of doing well in the Scotland job, like the weasel he is he jumped ship midway through the campaign  potentially leaving it in tatters. Have i spoken badly of a hero of yours or can you not understand these simple facts. Guys pathetic.

Right, im going to defend both wattie and Mcleish.  Before I start... I'm not a rangers fan (always get that pointed at me).  I understand arguments against both...   purely from a Scotland point of view, I think they did good jobs with what they had at their disposal.  I believed that both were capable of taking us to a major final.  If we hadn't had such a tough group, Ukraine, italy, france, I think we would have done it.  The one fly in the ointment was Georgia away.  Given what had come before under Berti where I felt any (bad) result was possible, we played safe, secure but uninspiring football under wattie and a bit more adventurous with Mcleish.  I think our current squad is about as good as that squad... I reckon either of these guys would have got us in the play offs this time.

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol like? Walter got offered the rangers job off the back of doing well in the Scotland job, like the weasel he is he jumped ship midway through the campaign  potentially leaving it in tatters. Have i spoken badly of a hero of yours or can you not understand these simple facts. Guys pathetic.

Why shouldn't he?  I have no problem with this at all.  Let's be realistic.... the Scotland job is not a big deal anymore. Things have changed since the seventies.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Right, im going to defend both wattie and Mcleish.  Before I start... I'm not a rangers fan (always get that pointed at me).  I understand arguments against both...   purely from a Scotland point of view, I think they did good jobs with what they had at their disposal.  I believed that both were capable of taking us to a major final.  If we hadn't had such a tough group, Ukraine, italy, france, I think we would have done it.  The one fly in the ointment was Georgia away.  Given what had come before under Berti where I felt any (bad) result was possible, we played safe, secure but uninspiring football under wattie and a bit more adventurous with Mcleish.  I think our current squad is about as good as that squad... I reckon either of these guys would have got us in the play offs this time.

Walter Smith did a cracking job while he was in the job. Doesn't change the fact he ####ed off after a few games, we were very lucky to continue on the good form under mcleish and Smith leaving didn't ruin our chances but easily could have.

6 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

Hmmmm.... I am Scotland fan. 
If someone give me the choice of managing Scotland @400K a year or Birmingham City @1.5million then I would choose Scotland every time.
The opportunity to take Scotland to a world cup and be a national hero remembered for ever more ?
Or try to save Birmigham City from relegation....

There is more to life than money
Some simple maths - 3 years in Scotland job @ 400K = £1.2 million.
That is enough for anyone to retire on if you live a modest lifestyle.
Though I am sure McLeish was already well set up financially.

No offence to Birmingham City - but they are a small time provincial club.
It wasn't Man Utd or Liverpool and the chance to win European Cups that turned his head.
Amusingly he screwed them over and went to their rivals Aston Villa when given sniff of something bigger.
The Scottish national team is bigger than that.

:lol: aye ok but until you get put in that situation and see it all from the inside like McLeish did I am thinking these are very easy words...

You are looking at it through your salary and through your eyes as a fan... McLeish is a professional manger earning this big money as normal.

What TAMBER on here earning 20k per year is going to turn down a great job offering 100k per year because say you are working for the Scottish tourist board as opposed to say the Birmingham tourist board?

You cant mix up all these things and come to a logical conclusion.

I would guess from the inside to McLeish it looked somewhat like...working for the SFA was relatively like a shit call centre job versus a job paying 5 times the salary working for much more promising professional ambitious employers. This fan stuff is your perspective only.

Edited by thplinth

4 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Why shouldn't he?  I have no problem with this at all.  Let's be realistic.... the Scotland job is not a big deal anymore. Things have changed since the seventies.

Lol so it's ok to ditch the national team after a few games of a campaign because you suddenly are wanted again. Call me old fashioned but that is low in my opinion and I believe most honest guys with any self respect would not do that. But each to their own. I view Smith like the scummy rodent he is.

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Lol so it's ok to ditch the national team after a few games of a campaign because you suddenly are wanted again. Call me old fashioned but that is low in my opinion and I believe most honest guys with any self respect would not do that. But each to their own. I view Smith like the scummy rodent he is.

Mccaughey85 you're spot on mate!

McLeish and Smith are a couple of scumbags for what they did.

They abandoned Scotland when we needed them most, and for that they should never ever be considered again.

It should be written in to every Scotland managers contract - you abandon Scotland, you're done for good. 

Just now, DizzyVizion said:

Mccaughey85 you're spot on mate!

McLeish and Smith are a couple of scumbags for what they did.

They abandoned Scotland when we needed them most, and for that they should never ever be considered again.

It should be written in to every Scotland managers contract - you abandon Scotland, you're done for good. 

Lol.....   and back in the real world.....

Just now, DizzyVizion said:

Need more decency in these comments. More decent people.

I would love that to be the case.  The unfortunate reality is the Scotland job is now somewhere like a middle ranking spl job.  Can't see a foreigner wanting it.... unless it's someone down on their luck.... e.g. 'Big sam'...

by the way... all those shouting for a foreign manager.... I presume you are ok with an English manager?

One of the things I like about international football is that you can't buy success.
There is still some magic / mystery and romance - for example Iceland at the world cup.

Lets remember a couple of things...

1) The Scotland players aren't getting played.  They are all on the park because they want to represent their country.
2) Managing your national team should be considered the ultimate honor / privilege for any manager.  If it is purely about money they shouldn't even be there....

As for Birmingham paying x5 more. 
Well they also play 5x more games and it is a full time job.

Should McLeish have taken the Scotland job if he only planned to stay for 11 months until something better was offered... That is old history - he made that decision. 

My point is that it is a bit cheeky for him to try and put his name in the mix now.  He had his chance - could have stayed and tried to take us to 2010 if he had been minded to do so.

Edited by Haggis_trap