Please not Alex McLeish - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Please not Alex McLeish

Haggis_trap

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think McLeish will get it anyway. 

Surely someone better will apply or accept an offer from the SFA?

I’ll do it for double my current salary. I’ve never managed Scotland before so nobody should have a problem with that. :lol:

Get your C.V in there big man!

You'd probably be far more welcome than Malky. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And the revered one, the god, the great one etc etc Fergie showed us disdain. Managed us for a World Cup and gleefully pissed off back to his beloved Man United and ever since has always been doubly quick to rule himself out of the job when it became available. But hey ho he is loved for it here.

Fergie only ever took the job on a temporary basis to take us to the World Cup after big Jock died. 

I don’t think he had any real interest in taking the job full time. 

3 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Fergie only ever took the job on a temporary basis to take us to the World Cup after big Jock died. 

I think you are right. It's just a shame he never considered it all these years later once he retired from Man Utd.

22 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Walter left in the middle of a campaign. There's a massive difference. Walter already was manager of his dream job and retired from it to go to Everton where he done so shite he needed to use the Scotland job to weasel his way back into the "dream" rangers job. Guys a complete cock and deserves nothing but contempt.

This.

Walter Smith isn't a good manager. He built on the success he inherited from the Souness era, little to no competition from the other side. When he joined Everton he couldn't hack it down south and then found tainted success on the back of the EBT situation on his return to Ibrox

Playing for a 0-0 away to Belarus was signing our death warrant not to mention the return game shambles at Hampden 

22 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Look at his record since he left Birmingham. It is dreadful.

Scottish managers have fallen behind over the last few years. It wasn't long ago 7 or 8 of the EPL managers were Scottish. Now there is just 1 in the top two leagues in England. 

You might not become a bad manager but you can fall behind and McLeish has done that. 

Sums it up neatly.

6 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

And that for me is worth even more contempt - as in not wanting it. Sure the like of Burley and Levein were hopeless but kudos for them for giving it a go rather than turning their back on their country.

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And that for me is worth even more contempt - as in not wanting it. Sure the like of Burley and Levein were hopeless but kudos for them for giving it a go rather than turning their back on their country.

Not sure I agree with that.  

I don’t really buy into the whole managing your country is the highest honour the pinnacle of your career idea. 

Playing, yes (if you reach a major tournament). Managing, no. 

Managing Scotland is a part time job, can involve a lot of traveling to watch games that aren’t exactly glamorous and it’s all a bit of a thankless task really. All for a lot less money than top clubs would pay.

I can understand why Fergie didn’t want the job at that time. Most managers in their prime wouldn’t. 

I wouldn’t have contempt for any manager that would prefer to stay in club management over managing Scotland. 

25 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Haha cmon.

I think Ferguson is a knob, especially post management with his books and digs at past players but that’s a ridiculous claim. 

And Burley and Levein weren’t doing us a favour by taking the job, it was a step up for both of them. 

Edited by ParisInAKilt

1 minute ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Haha cmon.

I think Ferguson is a knob, especially post management with his books and digs at past players but that’s a ridiculous claim. 

Yes perhaps. Perhaps too passionate a Scot - unlike Fergie. Someone who cares deeply about our national side. I'd say his fires never burned so deep for us (Scotland) as it did for United.

1 hour ago, Larky Masher said:

He's a very rich pensioner why would he want the hassle?

He's football daft and Scottish. The job is part time really and he doesn't need to even contemplate the cash .

Could have been like semi retirement and managing his country.

Sounds pretty good to me.

13 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Where did that "wanky phrase" thread go?

• 5 months later...
On 16/10/2017 at 4:54 AM, Deeklipse said:

McLeish's career pre-Scotland tended to consist of a great start then downhill with him jumping ship just before it went tits up. He has not really enhanced this since then.

As long as the great start lasts till we qualify I don’t care, he can bugger off after that :lol: