Please not Alex McLeish - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Please not Alex McLeish

Haggis_trap

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I’m aware of the difference mate. If Brown did actually leave for the honourable reasons he claimed. 

If he was just being a knob and couldn’t be arsed playing for Scotland (i.e. abandoning us) then do you think he should have been allowed back? Or should he be able to change his mind like an adult?

McLeish left at the end of a campaign (someone has suggested the end of his contract but I’m not sure if this is the case). He did nothing wrong.

I’m pretty sure you would leave your job tomorrow (if you have one) if someone offered you double your salary never mind 3-5 times or whatever McLeish was offered. I know I would.

If you don’t agree then fair enough but you’ve got a pretty immature take on things from where I’m standing.

Nah, you're just not getting it pal.

What's all this national football stuff about if it there's no principle to it?

If a shinier car is more important then we all may as well not bother.

Employed, and with the same employer coming on 11 years now.

Me, that is.

McLeish could only give us 11 months.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Look at his record since he left Birmingham. It is dreadful.

Scottish managers have fallen behind over the last few years. It wasn't long ago 7 or 8 of the EPL managers were Scottish. Now there is just 1 in the top two leagues in England. 

You might not become a bad manager but you can fall behind and McLeish has done that. 

It’s hard to tell. 

Sir Alex himself would have struggled at Aston Villa. He never settled at Forest and was treated pretty shoddily by them if memory serves.

I’m not really sure what happened at his two spells abroad to be honest.  

Club management and international management are very different anyway. Some of the most successful club managers have struggled at international level and vice versa. 

I’m beginning to sound like I want McLeish but I don’t really. We could do a lot worse than him though. 

I am hoping for Michael O’Neill. 

God help me I am agreeing with deecie here but I also thought he was out of contract when he 'quit'. The SFA did not tie him down (as they thought he was rubbish). He then took advantage of it and walked after surprising them by not being shite

Edited by thplinth

1 minute ago, DizzyVizion said:

Nah, you're just not getting it pal.

What's all this national football stuff about if it there's no principle to it?

If a shinier car is more important then we all may as well not bother.

Employed, and with the same employer coming on 11 years now.

Me, that is.

McLeish could only give us 11 months.

Well obviously nobody has offered you double your salary to leave then have they?

Principle? You’re having a laugh mate. 

Offer anyone in the world (including international football managers) 3-4 times their salary to do a similar job. How many do you think would turn it down?

1 minute ago, thplinth said:

God help me I am agreeing with deecie here but I also thought he was out of contract when he 'quit'. The SFA did not tie him down (as they though he was rubbish). He then took advantage of it and walked after surprising them by not being shite

The SFA is in need of an overhaul, going by most of our opinions.

Probably more of a priority than finding a new manager.

Just now, Texas Pete said:

Well obviously nobody has offered you double your salary to leave then have they?

Offer anyone in the world (including international football managers) 3-4 times their salary to do a similar job. How many do you think would turn it down?

I was offered triple time plus a couple of hundred shift bonus to work Christmas Day.

What do you think I said?

6 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

I was offered triple time plus a couple of hundred shift bonus to work Christmas Day.

What do you think I said?

It’s hardly the same thing is it?

I doubt McLeish would have turned down a new contract with Scotland if Birmingham had offered him a couple of hundred bangers and triple time for one day. :lol:

9 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Unless I become independently wealthy if someone offers me double my salary... I'm off

Most current players and managers in the top divisions in England are millionaires in a few short years whilst it takes a lifetime for most ordinary people, so I don't think you can compare the two temptations like many here have. These guys are independently wealthy at an early age and could retire in their twenties.

In McLeish's case, his playing day wage would have been very good but not on the same scale of players in the last 20 years but he would still have earned a good packet in 15-20 years as a manager.

How much money do people need to be satisfied to the extent that they are still tempted by doubling or trebling their wages like McLeish did?

5 minutes ago, fringo said:

Nope. He was worse than McLeish in my book.

Smith left us in lurch but McLeish didn’t. He did say at the time that he wouldn’t have left Scotland for any other job but couldn’t turn down Murray’s plea for help. 

That’s no excuse. He should have told that bellend to bolt and finished the job. 

10 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

And the revered one, the god, the great one etc etc Fergie showed us disdain. Managed us for a World Cup and gleefully pissed off back to his beloved Man United and ever since has always been doubly quick to rule himself out of the job when it became available. But hey ho he is loved for it here.

11 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s hardly the same thing is it?

I doubt McLeish would have turned down a new contract with Scotland if Birmingham had offered him a couple of hundred bangers and triple time for one day. :lol:

Fair enough.

Still, would prefer it if McLeish didn't say anything and the SFA moved on to something different. After all, McLeish didn't get us qualified either and this is "a results based business", hence why Strachan is no longer in the job.

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

And the revered one, the god, the great one etc etc Fergie showed us disdain. Managed us for a World Cup and gleefully pissed off back to his beloved Man United and ever since has always been doubly quick to rule himself out of the job when it became available. But hey ho he is loved for it here.

I wouldn't blame him for leaving in 1986. It was almost an emergency caretaker role when he took it on and probably said it was just that, when he agreed to do it. He was still a youngish manager then, and in days when you expected to graduate to national manager later in career. So it didn't seem like closing the door. (Also he was not yet revered at his beloved Man United at that time.)

However once he achieved success there it was clear that life was too cushy as a revered one there and he didn't fancy testing himself as Scotland manager in case he failed. A pity, as even a part time Fergie would probably have been better than some of the managers we had since.

14 hours ago, fringo said:

Most current players and managers in the top divisions in England are millionaires in a few short years whilst it takes a lifetime for most ordinary people, so I don't think you can compare the two temptations like many here have. These guys are independently wealthy at an early age and could retire in their twenties.

In McLeish's case, his playing day wage would have been very good but not on the same scale of players in the last 20 years but he would still have earned a good packet in 15-20 years as a manager.

How much money do people need to be satisfied to the extent that they are still tempted by doubling or trebling their wages like McLeish did?

exactly - lets remember the Scotland players on park aren't getting paid...

4 hours ago, DizzyVizion said:

Fair enough.

Still, would prefer it if McLeish didn't say anything and the SFA moved on to something different. After all, McLeish didn't get us qualified either and this is "a results based business", hence why Strachan is no longer in the job.

I don’t think McLeish will get it anyway. 

Surely someone better will apply or accept an offer from the SFA?

I’ll do it for double my current salary. I’ve never managed Scotland before so nobody should have a problem with that. :lol: