Please not Alex McLeish - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Please not Alex McLeish

Haggis_trap

1 minute ago, Haggis_trap said:

One of the things I like about international football is that you can't buy success.
There is still some magic / mystery and romance - for example Iceland at the world cup.

Lets remember a couple of things...

1) The Scotland players aren't getting played.  They are all on the park because they want to represent their country.
2) Managing your national team should be considered the ultimate honor / privilege for any manager.  If it is purely about money they shouldn't even be there....

As for Birmingham paying x5 more. 
Well they also play 5x more games and it is a full time job.

Should McLeish have taken the Scotland job if he only planned to stay for 11 months until something better was offered...
That is old history - he made that decision. 
Personally I think it is a bit cheeky for him to try and out his name in the mix now though.

It should.... but it isn't....   even as far back as 1972 when tommy docherty pumped us for Man Utd.  

Club football rules the show.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

McLeish should not be a considered.

And neither should Walter Smith.

They abandoned the Scotland national football team.

Once you do that, you're done for good.

Allowing them back would set an extremely bad example!

Should Scott Brown not have been allowed back then?

Thankfully you’re not in charge so your arbitrary rules don’t apply. 

McLeish didn’t abandon Scotland. He left at the end of a campaign. You’re allowed to leave a job you know. 

I don’t even want McLeish back to be honest but the pish being spouted on here about how terrible the guy was to dare to leave the Scotland managers job is laughable. 

2 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

^ I don't grudge him leaving.

He shouldn't expect to walk back in the door though ?

I don’t think he expects to walk back in the door. 

Maybe he regrets leaving and feels like he has unfinished business?

I doubt he will get the job anyway but if it came to a choice of who’s the better ginger option, Moyes or McLeish, I’d go for McLeish every day of the week. 

Hopefully we’ll get someone better than those two though. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Should Scott Brown not have been allowed back then?

Thankfully you’re not in charge so your arbitrary rules don’t apply. 

McLeish didn’t abandon Scotland. He left at the end of a campaign. You’re allowed to leave a job you know. 

I don’t even want McLeish back to be honest but the pish being spouted on here about how terrible the guy was to dare to leave the Scotland managers job is laughable. 

Just very peeved at how to some people it can be justified.

Scott Brown retired from unpaid international duty in order to prolong his playing career. The equivalent would be that he left to play for Venezuela instead, or something like that.

Just now, DizzyVizion said:

Just very peeved at how to some people it can be justified.

Scott Brown retired from unpaid international duty in order to prolong his playing career. The equivalent would be that he left to play for Venezuela instead, or something like that.

You could say he abandoned Scotland because he couldn’t be arsed and he magically came back when two glamour matches against England came up. 

I don’t necessarily believe that but it could have been the case.

You a Celtic fan by any chance?

People making assumptions based on your opinions/decisions isn’t nice is it? That’s what you’re doing with McLeish. 

For all you know he left the job because he didn’t get on with his boss or something. 

If he does get the job and gets us to a tournament are you still going to be so childish or would you be happy he got the job?

On first reading that McLeish was interested I was a bit surprised. And then I thought back to how well he'd done before and how exciting it would be to have him back and doing well again. But seriously, if he does do well and then mid-campaign Barnsley comes sniffing...

I just think it's better to not risk it.

I would like the role of national team boss to retain some dignity and respect.

I personally see no problem with mcleish leaving when he did. He wanted to get back involved in club football and it was at the end of the campaign. It wasnt anything as bad as what smith did. i would however prefer if mcleish didnt get the job as he has had his chance and left as soon as he was given a semi decent offer(if you can call birmingham that). Better to try someone new who has never had a chance.

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You could say he abandoned Scotland because he couldn’t be arsed and he magically came back when two glamour matches against England came up. 

I don’t necessarily believe that but it could have been the case.

You a Celtic fan by any chance?

People making assumptions based on your opinions/decisions isn’t nice is it? That’s what you’re doing with McLeish. 

For all you know he left the job because he didn’t get on with his boss or something. 

If he does get the job and gets us to a tournament are you still going to be so childish or would you be happy he got the job?

Whoever leads the team gets my support, that's just who I am. And that's whether he get's us to a tournament or not.

But the position needs to be respected. And we as supporters should also have a responsibility to help maintain that by opposing moves that have the potential to jeopardise that.

The scott Brown comparison is bullshit. Scott Brown decided to come out of retirement and make himself available for selection. He only retired in order to prolong his club career but realised he missed it and wanted one last crack at going to a major tournament with scotland. IMO he is a good guy for coming back, all be it was in a glamour tie with england but he still stuck out the rest of the campaign.

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The scott Brown comparison is bullshit. Scott Brown decided to come out of retirement and make himself available for selection. He only retired in order to prolong his club career but realised he missed it and wanted one last crack at going to a major tournament with scotland. IMO he is a good guy for coming back, all be it was in a glamour tie with england but he still stuck out the rest of the campaign.

I heard that Scott Browns hip are fecked, and was struggling for fitness for a long time

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It’s not bullshit just because you don’t agree with it. 

He left Scotland (some would say abandoned) and decided he wanted back. Sounds quite similar to what some people are saying about McLeish.

You a Celtic fan as well? :lol:

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Yep, agreed

I'm not even sure McLeish had an offer on the table from the SFA. Granted, he would have got one, but is was done fairly at the end of a campaign and end of contract.  I don't want him back as I think there are better options, but no grudges from me.

Smith was a bellend and left us in the lurch mid campaign.  Zero respect.

Just to be clear, I'm a Hibby. My mothers side of the family, and my brother, are all jambos, and me and my dads side are all hibbies.

Should exonerate me from any perceived loyalty to a religion/monarch, or green/blue team.

Thanks

Edited by DizzyVizion
Predictive text- jambos, turns into jumbos!

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

He left Scotland (some would say abandoned) and decided he wanted back. Sounds quite similar to what some people are saying about McLeish.

no i am not a celtic fan. he retired from international football, that means he wasnt jumping ship to some better option. he wanted to prolong his club career.Its completely different, to suggest it is the same is just plain daft.

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

You don’t just become a rubbish manager. 

Being successful at a football club with little or no budget (or even a half decent budget come to think of it) isn’t exactly easy.

Ever tried it?

Look at his record since he left Birmingham. It is dreadful.

Scottish managers have fallen behind over the last few years. It wasn't long ago 7 or 8 of the EPL managers were Scottish. Now there is just 1 in the top two leagues in England. 

You might not become a bad manager but you can fall behind and McLeish has done that. 

6 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Brown didn't leave for more money. But McLeish did.

Brown wasn't getting any money.

Nor did Brown leave to accept a contract which would rule him out of playing for Scotland.

See the difference now?

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

no i am not a celtic fan. he retired from international football, that means he wasnt jumping ship to some better option. he wanted to prolong his club career.Its completely different, to suggest it is the same is just plain daft.

No, to suggest that McLeish abandoned us and should never be considered again is daft. 

I’m not suggesting it’s the same thing. What I’m suggesting is that by some people’s logic, Scott Brown shouldn’t have been allowed back because he said he no longer wanted to play for Scotland again and changed his mind. 

McLeish said he no longer wanted to manage Scotland and appears to have changed his mind. The reason for either guy is irrelevant. 

I didn’t have a problem with Brown coming back and I wouldn’t have a problem with McLeish coming back (if he was the best candidate that applied). 

10 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

Nor did Brown leave to accept a contract which would rule him out of playing for Scotland.

See the difference now?

More than the no money he'd get from being out of contract with Scotland.

2 minutes ago, DizzyVizion said:

See the difference now?

I’m aware of the difference mate. If Brown did actually leave for the honourable reasons he claimed. 

If he was just being a knob and couldn’t be arsed playing for Scotland (i.e. abandoning us) then do you think he should have been allowed back? Or should he be able to change his mind like an adult?

McLeish left at the end of a campaign (someone has suggested the end of his contract but I’m not sure if this is the case). He did nothing wrong.

I’m pretty sure you would leave your job tomorrow (if you have one) if someone offered you double your salary never mind 3-5 times or whatever McLeish was offered. I know I would.

If you don’t agree then fair enough but you’ve got a pretty immature take on things from where I’m standing.

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

No, to suggest that McLeish abandoned us and should never be considered again is daft. 

I’m not suggesting it’s the same thing. What I’m suggesting is that by some people’s logic, Scott Brown shouldn’t have been allowed back because he said he no longer wanted to play for Scotland again and changed his mind. 

McLeish said he no longer wanted to manage Scotland and appears to have changed his mind. The reason for either guy is irrelevant. 

I didn’t have a problem with Brown coming back and I wouldn’t have a problem with McLeish coming back (if he was the best candidate that applied). 

Ok mate, I get where you are coming from.

If McLeish was appointed I'd get right behind him, go to the games, buy the merchandise, defend him and the Scotland team on this site. But I'd prefer someone who, whether they had a contract and left uncommitted or not, had never been Scotland manager before- who then chose to leave for a club rather continuing as the manager of Scotland.

For Birmingham, no less!