Please not Alex McLeish - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Please not Alex McLeish

Haggis_trap

So : I am an Aberdeen fan.
McLeish and Miller were boyhood heros - great players.

However please don't make big 'eck the next Scotland manager.
He had his chance in 2007 but walked out on a team to go to Birmingham City...
Lets not forget this.
Call me old fashioned - but managing your country should the pinnacle of any managers career ?
Anyone getting the phone call from SFA should consider the job to be an honour, rather than stepping stone.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7114028.stm

The only reason McLeish wants back now is because his club career is over.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same for the most part, particularly rewarding him with a second chance after he walked on us first time around but the list of candidates is not brimming with great options and I feel he is a better choice than many of the others. 

14 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

So : I am an Aberdeen fan.
McLeish and Miller were boyhood heros - great players.

However please don't make big 'eck the next Scotland manager.
He had his chance in 2007 but walked out on a team to go to Birmingham City...
Lets not forget this.
Call me old fashioned - but managing your country should the pinnacle of any managers career ?
Anyone getting the phone call from SFA should consider the job to be an honour, rather than stepping stone.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7114028.stm

The only reason McLeish wants back now is because his club career is over.

Could not have penned that better, Mr. Trap (and I'm a Dons' man too). 

I would have reservations about McLeish now again (he is old school no doubt about) but certainly not over his 'walking out'. It was the end of the campaign and it was a perfectly legitimate point to quit if he wanted. He could equally have been sacked at that point had things not gone well for him. It was no where near like what Smith did when he walked out, not even close. Plus he was getting paid 400k a year by the SFA and Birmingham offered him 1.5m I believe.. game over. I don't believe for one second the OP would not have done exactly the same, people think about their family's financial future etc. at times like these, it not some chest pounding bullshit about loyalty. I don't blame McLeish one little bit for leaving. An employer like the SFA paying peanuts or full time club football nearly quadrupling your salary. pffft it is the old no-brainer. Anyone who holds this against McLeish when arguably he is the best manager we had in the last 20 years plus is being a bit OTT. 

Edited by thplinth

It is just typical Scotland that the one decent performing manager we had (and he was only in the job 11 months I recall) had the hardest campaign of all, total group of death, and still it went to the last game. I am sure had McLeish had any of Levein's groups or Strachan's we would have qualified for one or two at least. Not saying that makes him the man for the job now but... he would do all right I think.

I think one important question  to make very clear from the outset to those applying is around lack of day to day involvement. It was clear 10 years ago Mcleish was a relatively young manager. Apart from the dough am sure the lure of club, day to day management was to much to turn down also. Regardless of whether say lambert is right for the job is he really going to be happy with long spells not managing day to day? If they want  the job as a stepping stone and leave after a slight bit of success they should not be considered.

I would say it is an absolute certainty that the manager who does finally manage a Scotland team that qualifies for a WC / Euros is going to get poached right after it, absolute certainty. The SFA don't pay. The SKY money down south is beyond belief...

Also the Scotland job like it or not IS a stepping stone job. So I say embrace that and employ talented younger managers looking to put themselves in the shop window by being 'the one' who gets us to a khunting tournament again. Of course the massive problem here is the SFA. They could not find their arses with a torch never mind find good candidates...

Edited by thplinth

First time round McLeish wanted "commitment" from the SFA, i.e. that he wasn't just in for that campaign.  He got that and then showed his commitment to us.  He can GTF.  Already hooring himself for the job I see.  That might have something to do with nobody else wanting him of course.

Huge step backwards IMO bringing him in.

52 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Plus he was getting paid 400k a year by the SFA and Birmingham offered him 1.5m I believe.. game over. I don't believe for one second the OP would not have done exactly the same, people think about their family's financial future etc. at times like these, it not some chest pounding bullshit about loyalty.

Hmmmm.... I am Scotland fan. 
If someone give me the choice of managing Scotland @400K a year or Birmingham City @1.5million then I would choose Scotland every time.
The opportunity to take Scotland to a world cup and be a national hero remembered for ever more ?
Or try to save Birmigham City from relegation....

There is more to life than money
Some simple maths - 3 years in Scotland job @ 400K = £1.2 million.
That is enough for anyone to retire on if you live a modest lifestyle.
Though I am sure McLeish was already well set up financially.

No offence to Birmingham City - but they are a small time provincial club.
It wasn't Man Utd or Liverpool and the chance to win European Cups that turned his head.
Amusingly he screwed them over and went to their rivals Aston Villa when given sniff of something bigger.
The Scottish national team is bigger than that.

10 minutes ago, Haggis_trap said:

If someone give me the choice of managing Scotland @400K a year or Birmingham City @1.5million then I would choose Scotland every time.
The opportunity to take Scotland to a world cup and be a national hero remembered for ever more ?

It wasn't Man Utd or Liverpool and the chance to win European Cups that turned his head.
Amusingly he screwed them over and went to their rivals Aston Villa when given sniff of something bigger.

How can a club from the second biggest city in the UK be provincial?

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Totally agree. McLeish leaving for Birmingham after such a good campaign, and a decent draw for the next campaign, was hard to take. Birmingham FFS. 

His time as a decent manager has passed and he should not be considered. 

he got five times his salary when he moved to Birmingham - Gordon Smith confirmed this earlier in the week

Hard for anyone to turn that kind of cash down

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

he got five times his salary when he moved to Birmingham - Gordon Smith confirmed this earlier in the week

And they were in the Premier League at the time. Not that I'm defending him but Fergie did advise him to go for it as he always wanted to manage in the PL and this was his route in. 

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Hes got loads of money 

...he got five times his salary when he moved to Birmingham - Gordon Smith confirmed this earlier in the week

400K a year is hardly a terrible salary....
do it for 3 years (... or more) and he would have still basically have been set up for life.

normal working fans can only dream of such richs.

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

I would say it is an absolute certainty that the manager who does finally manage a Scotland team that qualifies for a WC / Euros is going to get poached right after it, absolute certainty. The SFA don't pay. The SKY money down south is beyond belief...

Also the Scotland job like it or not IS a stepping stone job. So I say embrace that and employ talented younger managers looking to put themselves in the shop window by being 'the one' who gets us to a khunting tournament again. Of course the massive problem here is the SFA. They could not find their arses with a torch never mind find good candidates...

Worth noting that O'Neil and Coleman still in their jobs. Both been in their jobs say 4/5 years and have both qualified for a tournament.

1 hour ago, JECK said:

Worth noting that O'Neil and Coleman still in their jobs. Both been in their jobs say 4/5 years and have both qualified for a tournament.

If Wales or Northern Ireland had just missed out on qualifying for the Euros they would probably have moved onto a club job like McLeish. Had McLeish got Scotland to qualify he would have stayed rather than jump to Birmingham.

People leave jobs all the time for lots of different reasons. McLeish hardly left us in the lurch and any non-bitter, mature adult wouldn’t hold him moving to, what he felt was a better job (with a much higher salary), against him.

Having said that, he would not be my first choice as Strachan’s successor as I feel we can do better.

If McLeish does get the job though I think it would be best if we all got behind him and forgot all the ‘but he abandoned us’ pish. It’s embarrassing. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

People leave jobs all the time for lots of different reasons. McLeish hardly left us in the lurch and any non-bitter, mature adult wouldn’t hold him moving to, what he felt was a better job (with a much higher salary), against him.

Having said that, he would not be my first choice as Strachan’s successor as I feel we can do better.

If McLeish does get the job though I think it would be best if we all got behind him and forgot all the ‘but he abandoned us’ pish. It’s embarrassing. 

Fully agree. :ok:

4 hours ago, Haggis_trap said:

I consider myself a huge Scotland fan. I have been to almost every home qualifier for well over 20 years (with the exception of a few when I lived abroad for a while but even then I think I only missed three games) and have been to lots of away games as well. 

If I was managing Scotland earning 400k per year and at the end of a campaign someone offered me 4-5 times that amount to manage in the English Premier League, you wouldn’t see me for dust. 

Any young, ambitious manager would be insane to turn that kind of offer down.