Friendly Next Month - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendly Next Month

SteveHFC

9 hours ago, drew said:

Problem with friendlies in June will be the same as when we played Italy and France last year where players playing in early rounds of European club tournaments could do with a rest (although if we were good enough to qualify for the World Cup they would have no rest). Not saying we shouldn't play in June (we should play in June) but they probably won't include anyone from Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen (they should include them really).

That leaves only 2 games in March to look at players from the teams above. This is why it would be worthwhile playing friendlies in November even if it is caretakers (maybe people the SFA want to make assistants to the new manager).

Won't there be a friendly in September just before the nations cup starts, pretty sure there normally is or a midweek in August just after the season starts?

I'd normally agree with not playing them in June but given it's world cup year they'd be loads of top quality teams needing to play to warm up for the world cup.

I also think it will give the new manager an idea which players are fully committed and the others that pull out a little too easily from the squad given it's the end of the season.

Personally I'd call up an experimental team for next month e.g. don't call up Berra/Mulgrew. Not because they're rubbish (they've probably one of the better CB pairings over last 10 years) but they're both 30 + and CB area is desperate for some young players to join.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, SteveHFC said:

No trains back to Edinburgh after the game from Aberdeen. Looking like I’ll miss my first home game for 4 years. 

Its ok its not a hime game unless its at Hampden. I work up aberdeen way on a thurs and will probably still give it a miss, reckon the prices will be ridiculous 

20 hours ago, Bristolhibby said:

Oh just off!!!!

Can I go on record saying I hope we get pumped!

It will Force the SFA to make an actual decision and earn their money.

J

Can I go on record and say that anyone who wants their own team to get pumped is a fanny.

As are people who sign posts off with their initial.

Personally I like a Scotland game at Pittodrie but a Thursday night! (And I know the reversal is true for those fans who regularly travel to Glasgow midweek, and I doff my hat to them). But IF the Saturday was available would it not have made more sense? Or is FIFA insisting it's the dates of the play offs that are used? 

Its like a token gesture to the fans in the north. Where as a couple of our qualifiers could and should have been held up there (I know, a different arguement, but I'd rather a full Pittodrie than a half empty Hampden any day, likewise both Edinburgh grounds but the contract seems to bind us to playing in a ghost ground at times and people argue about continuity)

I don't care if The Netherlands has a game on the Sunday, if they do another opposition should have been lined up if we must play a game. A free Saturday would have increased the potential attendance and may have went a little way of healing the wounds.

Having said all that the game itself seems utterly pointless at this time. 

Maybe make it £15 and £5 entry, IF the SFA have an ounce of reason. 

On 10/13/2017 at 10:01 PM, Tartan Chris said:

Won't there be a friendly in September just before the nations cup starts, pretty sure there normally is or a midweek in August just after the season starts?

I'd normally agree with not playing them in June but given it's world cup year they'd be loads of top quality teams needing to play to warm up for the world cup.

I also think it will give the new manager an idea which players are fully committed and the others that pull out a little too easily from the squad given it's the end of the season.

Personally I'd call up an experimental team for next month e.g. don't call up Berra/Mulgrew. Not because they're rubbish (they've probably one of the better CB pairings over last 10 years) but they're both 30 + and CB area is desperate for some young players to join.

Midweek friendly date in August ended 4 years ago along with the one in February. Instead we now have a double header every November and March rather than every 2nd year.

On 13/10/2017 at 7:14 PM, dandydunn said:

Not sure about valid, but internal mumblings are saying Aberdeen season ticket holders get 50% off, same deal as queens  park season ticket holders get for Hampden. I’m delighted with that. 

Not sure if this is a wind up, but just to clarify it, QP fans don't get any discount for Scotland games.

Quote feature is still awful, can this be looked into by the new board owners please?

Ill try self reporting this post. 

Turns out I can’t, can someone report this post to bring it to the attention of the tech mob please?

edited again: I can report myself, next time I’m pished, I can see me falling out with myself and getting banned  

Edited by dandydunn
I have no idea how the quote I couldn’t remove, is now bizarrely gone.

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Not sure if this is a wind up, but just to clarify it, QP fans don't get any discount for Scotland games.

Don’t they? That’s strange then, we have been offered our season tickets in the south stand for £7.50 for mine and £2.50 for my loon. 

Be good to have a Scotland game with 11k dons there, although I’ll doubt everyone will take the offer up. 

14 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Quote feature is still awful, can this be looked into by the new board owners please?

Ill try self reporting this post. 

Turns out I can’t, can someone report this post to bring it to the attention of the tech mob please?

edited again: I can report myself, next time I’m pished, I can see me falling out with myself and getting banned  

Well I'm 4 mins behind your post and missed your edit and reported it for you.

I think it's the first time I've used the report thing !

1 minute ago, fringo said:

Well I'm 4 mins behind your post and missed your edit and reported it for you.

I think it's the first time I've used the report thing !

Me too. 

I felt a sense of power. 

PS, I’ve reported this and I’m away to block you for reporting me. 

Grass :rollsmile:

29 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Heard last night. Which would make sense considering the logistics with flights to and from The Faroes 

Would be strange since Regan has said Mackay is in charge for a one off game.

That being said 2 games would be better for us than 1. 

18 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

Me too. 

I felt a sense of power. 

PS, I’ve reported this and I’m away to block you for reporting me. 

Grass :rollsmile:

It's my first ever grass. Surely community service would suffice for a first timer ?! (you ungrateful git ! :lol: )

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Would be strange since Regan has said Mackay is in charge for a one off game.

That being said 2 games would be better for us than 1. 

It probably is a load of pish, just seen a conversation on Facebook last night. We do owe them a game back right enough though 

12 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Don’t they? That’s strange then, we have been offered our season tickets in the south stand for £7.50 for mine and £2.50 for my loon. 

Be good to have a Scotland game with 11k dons there, although I’ll doubt everyone will take the offer up. 

Even with the discount, i'm giving it a miss. Can't be bothered.