Friendly Next Month - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Friendly Next Month

SteveHFC

The SFA will now kick off their search for a new boss ahead of a Pittodrie friendly on November 9 against another European nation that won’t be at Russia 2018, with Holland among the candidates.

Friendly being lined up. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of Norway Finland or Latvia I reckon. This would leave room for a second friendly on the Sunday / Monday perhaps away.  

IMHO wee should look to maximise all friendly dates and get guys like McGregor Tierney McGinn Fraser Cairney Cooper as much game time as possible. 

17 minutes ago, Eastiebeastie said:

One of Norway Finland or Latvia I reckon. This would leave room for a second friendly on the Sunday / Monday perhaps away.  

IMHO wee should look to maximise all friendly dates and get guys like McGregor Tierney McGinn Fraser Cairney Cooper as much game time as possible. 

I think Tierney will be rested. Fringe players should be picked, unless a new manager is in post.

22 minutes ago, Eastiebeastie said:

Definitely agree with that. Players to be rested (or maybe to have retired by then) being Darren Fletcher, Scott Brown, James Morrison and Christophe Berra.

Said before but play loads of friendlies and your world ranking suffers.

There were examples of Swiss and Poland, Switzerland I think played one friendly in 12 months and they're in top 10 of rankings.

I'd rather sort everything out and then have the two friendlies in March and then another two in May/June.

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

There were examples of Swiss and Poland, Switzerland I think played one friendly in 12 months and they're in top 10 of rankings.

I'd rather sort everything out and then have the two friendlies in March and then another two in May/June.

This.

1 minute ago, Mazziessc said:

This.

It could be that we owe someone a game and will have little choice

These friendlies are often set up on the basis that there'll be a return game. I remember reading that our 1-1 friendly away to Poland in 2001 was a return game from 10years previous!

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Problem with friendlies in June will be the same as when we played Italy and France last year where players playing in early rounds of European club tournaments could do with a rest (although if we were good enough to qualify for the World Cup they would have no rest). Not saying we shouldn't play in June (we should play in June) but they probably won't include anyone from Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen (they should include them really).

That leaves only 2 games in March to look at players from the teams above. This is why it would be worthwhile playing friendlies in November even if it is caretakers (maybe people the SFA want to make assistants to the new manager).

Edited by drew

On top of next month, I would expect a home and away game in March, and at least 1 Nigeria at Fulham style game at the end of the season.

With the World Cup in Russia, plenty of teams from South America and Africa will come to Europe for training camps, and no doubt the SFA will tart themselves as a good opponent for any teams who want to play a "British style" team if they draw England (and potentially Northern and/or Republic of Ireland).

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

With a potential 19 competitive games between September 2018 and March 2019 a few friendly defeats isn't really going to matter in the grand scheme of things.

We're not going to need any rankings for at least 3 years.

A Thursday night in November with piercing wind blowing in from the beach end, they sure do know how to entice the fans. Let's be honest it's gonna be an U21 side they send over with one or two fringe players. Robben and the likes will be nowhere to be seen

The Dutch squad will be in for a reality check when they try and squeeze into the away changing rooms. Anne Frank had more room than that 

Edited by DoonTheSlope

SFA Facebook post now confirms it.

At least, given the venue, whoever picks the team will have a strong incentive to pick some Aberdeen players.

Mind you, meaningless, managerless friendly on a cauld November Thursday night in Aberdeen when we've just been stuffed out of another tournament... one of the city's junior club venues might have been a better choice. Can't see Pittodrie being half-full for it.

I can only assume we may be trying to arrange a game for the Sunday aswell then? 

Why have it on a Thursday night FFS. If it had been a Saturday it would have been a great day out. Earky train up and a song song etc then a few hours in Aberdeen then the same on the way back. The SFA are so out of touch with reality it's unreal

Just now, DoonTheSlope said:

I can only assume we may be trying to arrange a game for the Sunday aswell then? 

Why have it on a Thursday night FFS. If it had been a Saturday it would have been a great day out. Earky train up and a song song etc then a few hours in Aberdeen then the same on the way back. The SFA are so out of touch with reality it's unreal

Maybe Holland have a game on the sunday?