Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 82 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

3 hours ago, FuNsTeR said:

no the embarrassment was losing to Costa Rica ... you pay peanuts you get monkeys and that;s what the Mcliesh appointment was ... the cheapest option available

So it's now an embarrassment to lose to a team ranked above you now? Am sorry your expectations are delusional.

4 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

No he didn't, he was at the end of his contract. Walter Smith walked out of the job

He left in 2007 and I could be wrong (can’t be bothered looking into it again) but I’m pretty sure his contract was until 2010. 

He left at the end of a campaign with almost a year until our next competitive game though so I wouldn’t class it as walking out on us or leaving us in the lurch. 

He was offered a full time job that he fancied and which paid more. Most folk would do the same. 

22 hours ago, FuNsTeR said:

no the embarrassment was losing to Costa Rica ... you pay peanuts you get monkeys and that;s what the Mcliesh appointment was ... the cheapest option available

What a fud you are.

I bet you’ve been sitting for 3 weeks itching for us to lose just so you could post a hawfwitted comment.

14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He left in 2007 and I could be wrong (can’t be bothered looking into it again) but I’m pretty sure his contract was until 2010. 

He left at the end of a campaign with almost a year until our next competitive game though so I wouldn’t class it as walking out on us or leaving us in the lurch. 

He was offered a full time job that he fancied and which paid more. Most folk would do the same. 

Apologies, you're right. Don't know why I thought he was out of contract. Supposedly, Birmingham offered him £30,000 a week, no wonder his head was turned

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Apologies, you're right. Don't know why I thought he was out of contract. Supposedly, Birmingham offered him £30,000 a week, no wonder his head was turned

I think a few folk have said that on here and it has stuck. The SFA would have been unlikely to offer McLeish a one year contract though. 

It probably came from the fact that he left at the end of a campaign. Club managers  and players do that all the time without being vilified the same way McLeish was by some people. 

He probably shouldn’t have taken the Scotland job in the first place in 2007 as it probably wasn’t the right stage of his career. Let’s just hope he does a good job this time. 

• 1 month later...

Nothing particularly new here, but Michael O'Neill gave an interview the other day, where he reflected on his discussions on the Scotland job.

It's clear that he could have been persuaded to take the job, and Stewart Regan really wanted him, but Regan couldn't get the SFA to move quickly enough, most likely because the latter weren't prepared to give Michael the autonomy and responsibility he wanted/needed to do the job properly:

Michael O'Neill has admitted the delay in meeting with the Scottish FA "made it more difficult" for them to persuade him to take the Scotland job.

It was three months on from the sacking of Gordon Strachan before then-chief executive Stewart Regan met O'Neill.

"Possibly that process, that 102 days, made it more difficult for Stewart Regan to get me over the line and put me in the position."

By contrast, our lot moved with unprecedented speed:

"The IFA were very pro-active, they offered me an extension to my contract hours after the final game in Switzerland," said O'Neill.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44116957

I personally have no idea how McLeish will do, but I have absolutely no doubt that had Michael been given a fair crack* at the Scotland job, he would have been very successful.

P.S. O'Neill also confirmed the soundness of his judgement when revealing that he spoke to both WBA and Sunderland about joining them, but declined to take either any further. Two bullets dodged there, Chris Coleman should have taken note! 😉

* - No interference, bring in his own people, re-build the under-age set-up etc

Edited by AwayInAManger

• 10 months later...
On 2/18/2018 at 1:17 PM, tartanmartin said:

I absolutely want McLeish to be a success but hearing him recently I'm surprised he passed an interview. On Friday he couldn't offer any suggestions of how he's improved as a manager (other than being older and more experienced) or any plans as to how he'd take us forward.

Of the three on the selection panel one is an old mate who chaired his testimonial committee and another is responsible for managerial masterstroke appointments such as Pat Fenlon,  Terry Butcher and Colin Calderwood. 

As for any personal issues we'll see if anything comes out but he has a lot of cheerleaders in the media who will keep it on the QT. I know what I know and will leave it at that.

a bit of time on my hands and just revisiting the abuse i got from a few on here (Texas Pete and Caledonian Craig especially) when i pointed out that McLeish wasn't fit for purpose.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:34 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Aww do you want a gold star tartanmartin? Must be a memorable moment in your life to dig out comments on a message board from around a year earlier. 

The man was spot on as I was and plenty others. McLeish has been a disaster of an appointment yet you along with plenty others were so willing to get behind the ridiculous appointment you felt fit to abuse those who rightfully pointed out he was a twat of a choice.

Well done.

11 hours ago, macy37 said:

The man was spot on as I was and plenty others. McLeish has been a disaster of an appointment yet you along with plenty others were so willing to get behind the ridiculous appointment you felt fit to abuse those who rightfully pointed out he was a twat of a choice.

Well done.

What a plum you are. You can bump your gums however much you want and tartanmartin but you are not getting it. The SFA committee do not give a flying **** who us the fans want as manager. They'll appoint who they choose and it was McLeish. I could trawl back to my posts buit as I know my position won't have changed I'd guess my posts were ones of willing to give him a fair crack of the whip as anyone in this world does. I know as soon as the job became available I was not calling for McLeish - I am not sure that anybody was.

Lets get things clear here you could and should start two seperate threads here when we begin discussing who should be the next Scotland manager. One thread called the Fantasy Manager for the fans to throw in their fanciful dream of international and high profile managers who will never be approached and never be considered by the SFA committee. And then have another thread called the Realistic Manager containing the likely route taken by the SFA committee with names like Malky Mackay, Scott Gemmill, Steve Clarke, Paul Lambert and Derek McInnes in the frame.

48 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

What a plum you are. You can bump your gums however much you want and tartanmartin but you are not getting it. The SFA committee do not give a flying **** who us the fans want as manager. They'll appoint who they choose and it was McLeish. I could trawl back to my posts buit as I know my position won't have changed I'd guess my posts were ones of willing to give him a fair crack of the whip as anyone in this world does. I know as soon as the job became available I was not calling for McLeish - I am not sure that anybody was.

Lets get things clear here you could and should start two seperate threads here when we begin discussing who should be the next Scotland manager. One thread called the Fantasy Manager for the fans to throw in their fanciful dream of international and high profile managers who will never be approached and never be considered by the SFA committee. And then have another thread called the Realistic Manager containing the likely route taken by the SFA committee with names like Malky Mackay, Scott Gemmill, Steve Clarke, Paul Lambert and Derek McInnes in the frame.

What’s any of that got to do with you being a cunt?🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

Slaven Bilić is no longer employed by that club out in the Gulf. He is currently unemployed.

Get him in now !!!

And to all of you "we cannae have a foreigner because it's our tradition tae have a proud Scotsman in charge." Stick it right up your arse and twist it. I want someone in who might actually get us winning a few games and I couldn't give a fuck about your poxy traditions.

Get the big Croat for Scotland !!!

On 4/1/2019 at 10:24 AM, ErsatzThistle said:

Slaven Bilić is no longer employed by that club out in the Gulf. He is currently unemployed.

Get him in now !!!

And to all of you "we cannae have a foreigner because it's our tradition tae have a proud Scotsman in charge." Stick it right up your arse and twist it. I want someone in who might actually get us winning a few games and I couldn't give a fuck about your poxy traditions.

Not sure what you are trying to say - can you be a bit clearer?

😉

Get him in now !!!

Get him out before the playoff so we can at least have a chance

Get him in now !!!

I still cant see anyone on here going on about traditions and having a non scot so who are you ranting at? 

4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I still cant see anyone on here going on about traditions and having a non scot so who are you ranting at? 

I'm talking broadly, it doesn't necessarily have to be about people on here you know.

Your average Daily Record reader for one is what I'm getting at, the kind that wants Moyes or Souness appointed and thinks Berti Vogts was French*.

*I did actually once meet someone who was convinced of that.

I'm probably in the minority here but the manager change is the least of my concerns.

McLeish may on his last legs as a manager but the problems before us are not of his making. The mediocrity that we are now seeing has been 40+ years in the making.

If Ron Petrie is appointed SFA president then I'm afraid it's another 5+ years of mediocrity. If that happens (and it looks likely as he's running in a one-horse race) then as far as attending matches, buying shirts and merchandise, I'm out.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I'm probably in the minority here but the manager change is the least of my concerns.

McLeish may on his last legs as a manager but the problems before us are not of his making. The mediocrity that we are now seeing has been 40+ years in the making.

If Ron Petrie is appointed SFA president then I'm afraid it's another 5+ years of mediocrity. If that happens (and it looks likely as he's running in a one-horse race) then as far as attending matches, buying shirts and merchandise, I'm out.

I agree re your point about Petrie but I completely disagree with the bit in bold.  We finally had turned a corner with Strachan, going on an unbeaten run playing half decent football including going to Lithuania where we've struggled numerous times and hammered them!  McLeish has set us back years and i'm convinced we're going to miss out on the Euro's again!

13 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

I agree re your point about Petrie but I completely disagree with the bit in bold.  We finally had turned a corner with Strachan, going on an unbeaten run playing half decent football including going to Lithuania where we've struggled numerous times and hammered them!  McLeish has set us back years and i'm convinced we're going to miss out on the Euro's again!

But how long was the turning of the corner going to last, though? It was always going to be a short term thing, no matter who the manager was or how we performed. If the leagues were better structured, if grassroots had a clear vision and actual ideas were implemented by the SFA then we would be in a healthy position, but we aren't. At the moment we're just taking it game by game and the background is nothing but nothing.

You're right, though, we will definitely miss out on the Euros. In actual fact I can't see us qualifying for another tournament ever again.

If it was a club side the fans would have protested outside the ground and McRae and McLeish would have been out by now. With the national side they can just sit tight and ride the storm as other events dominate the sports columns. 

The New Murinho knows he has the play off to come and wants to have the glory of taking Scotland to a tournament for the first time in living memory so he won't go unless there is phenomenal pressure. We need a proper manager who will give us a better chance in a play off and possibly at the Euros. Its not about McLeishs ego - he HAS TO GO for the sake of the team.

He is in denial and thinks he is something he is not - a good manager as the details below indicate.

Can someone start a poll which would put this back in the headlines?

CV

ALEX MCLEISH  (AKA The New Murinho)

POST SCOTLAND CAREER 2007 +

BIRMINGHAM  CITY

2007-8 `I’ve got the New Murinho’ said the Birmingham chairman David Gold. Joined when the club were in a mid table position. Club RELEGATED to the Championship on the last day of his first season

2008-9 Credit where due - promoted at first attempt.   2009-10 Finished in ninth place

2010-11 Won the League Cup Final against Arsenal then the club went into freefall and were AGAIN RELEGATED under McLeish on the final day of the season. The directors kept faith with him but rather than stay and fight with his players for promotion he chose to jump ship – and join their biggest rivals for a rumoured figure of £1m informing Birmingham City of his decision by email

ASTON VILLA

17th JUNE 2011-14th MAY 2012 Took the club to the BRINK OF RELEGATION before a `McLeish Out’ campaign from the fans resulted in termination of his contract. Villa just stayed in the Premiership by  two points.

MAY –DECEMBER 2012 UNEMPLOYED

NOTTINGHAM FOREST

27th DECEMBER 2012 – 5th FEBRUARY 2013 Left the club after FIVE WEEKS by mutual consent following a series of poor results including losing at Birmingham

FEBRUARY 2013 – AUGUST 2014 UNEMPLOYED

GENK  

AUGUST 2014-MARCH 2015  Left club by mutual consent after failing to reach League Play offs

MARCH 2015-FEBRUARY 2016 UNEMPLOYED

ZAMALEK

28TH FEBRUARY 2ND MAY 2016  SACKED  after two months as a result of poor performances

MAY 2016-FEBRUARY 2017 UNEMPLOYED

FERUARY 2017 Again the inept Scottish FA offer a contract to the unemployed manager after he continually touted himself for the Scotland and Rangers job whenever there was a vacancy.“I’m available if they want to call me” was typical of his media quotes.

Conclusion – A nice guy and a great player but an utter dud of a manager who has no sense of loyalty and has amassed a fortune from his failed attempts at management not to mention EBTs.  The SFA took a chance on him whilst unemployed and he used the post to attempt to further his career. The legacy of his time in England is that BIRMINGHAM CITY are STILL struggling to get out of the Championship today and currently staring at League 1 football.

There was an inevitability about his reappointment which was largely due to an old pals act with SFA President Alan McRae.  

All hail the New Murinho!

After a while we will basically ignore this qualifying group we are in and start to think of the play offs.

We can opt out of it I suppose.  It all rests on the play off because I can’t see us catching Russia.

(Russia had a good win where we hammered)