Jump to content
McExpat

Next Scotland Manager ?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, FuNsTeR said:

no the embarrassment was losing to Costa Rica ... you pay peanuts you get monkeys and that;s what the Mcliesh appointment was ... the cheapest option available

So it's now an embarrassment to lose to a team ranked above you now? Am sorry your expectations are delusional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

No he didn't, he was at the end of his contract. Walter Smith walked out of the job

He left in 2007 and I could be wrong (can’t be bothered looking into it again) but I’m pretty sure his contract was until 2010. 

He left at the end of a campaign with almost a year until our next competitive game though so I wouldn’t class it as walking out on us or leaving us in the lurch. 

He was offered a full time job that he fancied and which paid more. Most folk would do the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FuNsTeR said:

no the embarrassment was losing to Costa Rica ... you pay peanuts you get monkeys and that;s what the Mcliesh appointment was ... the cheapest option available

What a fud you are.

I bet you’ve been sitting for 3 weeks itching for us to lose just so you could post a hawfwitted comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He left in 2007 and I could be wrong (can’t be bothered looking into it again) but I’m pretty sure his contract was until 2010. 

He left at the end of a campaign with almost a year until our next competitive game though so I wouldn’t class it as walking out on us or leaving us in the lurch. 

He was offered a full time job that he fancied and which paid more. Most folk would do the same. 

Apologies, you're right. Don't know why I thought he was out of contract. Supposedly, Birmingham offered him £30,000 a week, no wonder his head was turned

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Apologies, you're right. Don't know why I thought he was out of contract. Supposedly, Birmingham offered him £30,000 a week, no wonder his head was turned

I think a few folk have said that on here and it has stuck. The SFA would have been unlikely to offer McLeish a one year contract though. 

It probably came from the fact that he left at the end of a campaign. Club managers  and players do that all the time without being vilified the same way McLeish was by some people. 

He probably shouldn’t have taken the Scotland job in the first place in 2007 as it probably wasn’t the right stage of his career. Let’s just hope he does a good job this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing particularly new here, but Michael O'Neill gave an interview the other day, where he reflected on his discussions on the Scotland job.

It's clear that he could have been persuaded to take the job, and Stewart Regan really wanted him, but Regan couldn't get the SFA to move quickly enough, most likely because the latter weren't prepared to give Michael the autonomy and responsibility he wanted/needed to do the job properly:

Michael O'Neill has admitted the delay in meeting with the Scottish FA "made it more difficult" for them to persuade him to take the Scotland job.

It was three months on from the sacking of Gordon Strachan before then-chief executive Stewart Regan met O'Neill.

"Possibly that process, that 102 days, made it more difficult for Stewart Regan to get me over the line and put me in the position."

By contrast, our lot moved with unprecedented speed:

"The IFA were very pro-active, they offered me an extension to my contract hours after the final game in Switzerland," said O'Neill.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44116957

 

I personally have no idea how McLeish will do, but I have absolutely no doubt that had Michael been given a fair crack* at the Scotland job, he would have been very successful.

P.S. O'Neill also confirmed the soundness of his judgement when revealing that he spoke to both WBA and Sunderland about joining them, but declined to take either any further. Two bullets dodged there, Chris Coleman should have taken note! 😉

 

 

* - No interference, bring in his own people, re-build the under-age set-up etc

Edited by AwayInAManger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×