Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 81 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No. Just pointing out McLeish's political views mean jack in the grand scheme of things and are totally irrelevant as to what sort of a job he will do for us.

Very true.

i couldn’t give a fuck how he voted if he gets us to a major finals 

On 19/02/2018 at 1:29 PM, Scotsdeutsch said:

Okay having calmed down after the anger of this appointment;I’ve just had a look at the raft of  talented centre backs coming through at the moment;Jack Hendry at Celtic , Scott McKenna at Aberdeen , souttar at hearts Liam Lindsay at Barnsley & Liam cooper at Leeds  in particular & have done a bit of a 360 on our prospects. I’d say there’s now a more than half decent squad there with some strength in every department so it wouldn’t take a managerial genius to get them to make the playoffs. Mcleish is a charmed man indeed. Basically get the team full of the Celtic top performers,sprinkle in some added experience and I think we’re looking at overall the youngest & strongest squad since 1997. No excuses left now.

It is good to see a few more players emerge who can play CB but the question is, are any of them drastically better than the CBs they'd  be replacing, e.g. Berra, Martin and Mulgrew?  I quite liked the look of the boy Bates at Rangers but like McKenna and Souttar he is untested outside Scotland.  The point has been made on here before, and I agree with it, that if you stuck the often-maligned Grant Hanley in almost any SPFL team he'd look a class act.  Liam Lindsay has done well in a mediocre league, Cooper just looks English Championship standard and Jack Hendry barely played when he went down south (although he has done well to get a move to Celtic). 

We obviously won't know for certain if any of those young players have what it takes until they are tested.  I hope you are right but I think we've still some way to go before our squad is as strong as it was in 1997.  Back then we had players who'd won European trophies, players who played regularly in the English top flight and even a couple who'd played in teams that had won it.  Currently we've a couple of good left-backs, a decent midfield and a couple of decent (if ageing) goalkeepers, so there's hope for optimism there.  But for me, it remains to be seen whether any of this young glut of CBs have what it takes to get us to that level and ouwith Leigh Griffiths our options up front are extremely limited at present.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not really? The answer should be absolutely not.

Personally, I do not give a stuff about their political views as long as they do a good job for the Scotland national football team. In any case you must be naive if you think that a good fair few of our best ever players were not yoons at heart. Point being who cares about their political views as it will bear no resemblance on whether we get independence or not.

Says the guy that ruled out Allardyce because he thought he was English :lol:

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

It is good to see a few more players emerge who can play CB but the question is, are any of them drastically better than the CBs they'd  be replacing, e.g. Berra, Martin and Mulgrew?  I quite liked the look of the boy Bates at Rangers but like McKenna and Souttar he is untested outside Scotland.  The point has been made on here before, and I agree with it, that if you stuck the often-maligned Grant Hanley in almost any SPFL team he'd look a class act.  Liam Lindsay has done well in a mediocre league, Cooper just looks English Championship standard and Jack Hendry barely played when he went down south (although he has done well to get a move to Celtic). 

We obviously won't know for certain if any of those young players have what it takes until they are tested.  I hope you are right but I think we've still some way to go before our squad is as strong as it was in 1997.  Back then we had players who'd won European trophies, players who played regularly in the English top flight and even a couple who'd played in teams that had won it.  Currently we've a couple of good left-backs, a decent midfield and a couple of decent (if ageing) goalkeepers, so there's hope for optimism there.  But for me, it remains to be seen whether any of this young glut of CBs have what it takes to get us to that level and ouwith Leigh Griffiths our options up front are extremely limited at present.

Can’t argue with any of that-solid post. I’ve a feeling McKenna is a worldie but as you say he’ll have to be tested. 

I perhaps went bit ott but on the whole it’s one of the stronger sets of players over the last 20 years with more potential than anything else. I think it’s stronger overall in depth than both Ireland’s at present so if they can qualify we should be able to also.

6 hours ago, Scotsdeutsch said:

Can’t argue with any of that-solid post. I’ve a feeling McKenna is a worldie but as you say he’ll have to be tested. 

I perhaps went bit ott but on the whole it’s one of the stronger sets of players over the last 20 years with more potential than anything else. I think it’s stronger overall in depth than both Ireland’s at present so if they can qualify we should be able to also.

Nothing wrong with being positive - and I genuinely hope you're right. I'm just cautious of false dawns.  I remember being certain that the crop of young players we had coming through in the early - mid noughties would eventually be good enough to get us to a major finals - didn't happen though, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Stopped reading when I got to Martin.

Meaning? 

16 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No. Just pointing out McLeish's political views mean jack in the grand scheme of things and are totally irrelevant as to what sort of a job he will do for us.

I'm one of the few folk on this thread to have made a positive case for Big Eck being re-appointed. I'm disappointed to hear of his nawbaggery, but at no point have said I don't think he should be our manager.

14 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Spot on.

It is no marker of talent levels in any case as King Kenny was a no man as well and he is our record goalscorer.

IIRC Dalglish was non committal when it came to the referendum. "Mibbies aye, mibbies naw" you could say.

3 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

If you are going to troll do your homework. I never wanted Allardyce as manager for the simple reason that he is a rank rotten manager but have never ruled out going English so get your facts straight.

He is rank rotten and corrupt to boot. Unfortunately Scottish though.

28 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

IIRC Dalglish was non committal when it came to the referendum. "Mibbies aye, mibbies naw" you could say.

Possibly because he wasn't eligible to vote. Most of the "celebs" that backed no were similarly ineligible to cast a vote. Just a bunch of uncle Toms. 

3 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

He is rank rotten and corrupt to boot. Unfortunately Scottish though.

He’s English.

Born in England and considers himself English. 

If he had been any good he’d have played for England. 

He would also have qualified for Scotland but I don’t ever remember any talk of him wanting to play for us. 

If you want to argue about him technically being Scottish because both his parents were then feel free but I would rather go with what the man thinks himself. 

I wouldn’t have wanted him to be our manager if he Scottish, English, Australian or Martian though. The guy’s a sack. 

18 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s English.

He would also have qualified for Scotland but I don’t ever remember any talk of him wanting to play for us. 

If you want to argue about him technically being Scottish because both his parents were then feel free but I would rather go with what the man thinks himself. 

I wouldn’t have wanted him to be our manager if he Scottish, English, Australian or Martian though. The guy’s a sack. 

All of the above. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

He’s English.

Spot on.

Dig around and apparently a few years back members of Allardyce clan were welcominh him to join a historic group to celebrate its Scottish heritage. Evidently, he cared jack enough about his Scottishness to pursue this himself in all the 50+ years he has been on this planet.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/sam-allardyce-invited-to-join-clan-after-revealing-scots-roots-1-4185837

Edited by Caledonian Craig

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, tjm007 said:

Unsurprising response to McLeish being reappointed.

In essence most of the heat (and not much light) is 99% do with which club he managed - and some "fans" hate that club more than they love Scotland or even the club they support.

His record with Scotland is exceptional - ok it's a small sample but better than many other small samples.

Get behind him and the team - or don't. But don't invent reasons to hide your own prejudices.

he walked out on Scotland, end of story

2 hours ago, dipped flake said:

he walked out on Scotland, end of story

No, he got a better paid job. 

Its emotionally driven clap trap like this that needs to be avoided. It makes you look ridiculous. 

Haven't you ever "walked out on" a job for another? 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

No, he got a better paid job. 

Its emotionally driven clap trap like this that needs to be avoided. It makes you look ridiculous. 

Haven't you ever "walked out on" a job for another? 

Totally agree RenfrewBlue ! If the SFA are incapable of putting contracts together to keep the right guy locked in (or us suitably compensated) they shouldn't be there. It should be their number one priority.  By the logic of some he (or anyone else) should do the job for free and turn down say £2m per year contracts.

5 hours ago, WeeJohmny said:

Totally agree RenfrewBlue ! If the SFA are incapable of putting contracts together to keep the right guy locked in (or us suitably compensated) they shouldn't be there. It should be their number one priority.  By the logic of some he (or anyone else) should do the job for free and turn down say £2m per year contracts.

Exactly. These are the same halfwits that say they'd do the Scotland job for nothing. The fact is they wouldn't as that would see them homeless, hungry and probably divorced in jig time. 

They just don't deal in reality. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/02/2018 at 11:06 PM, Baz said:

Absolutely disgraceful post. You should be embarrassed.

no the embarrassment was losing to Costa Rica ... you pay peanuts you get monkeys and that;s what the Mcliesh appointment was ... the cheapest option available

33 minutes ago, FuNsTeR said:

no the embarrassment was losing to Costa Rica ... you pay peanuts you get monkeys and that;s what the Mcliesh appointment was ... the cheapest option available

Really? An embarrassment? Get out of the 1970s and 80s bubble you are trapped in eh? We have qualified for zilch for two decades now - that says it all on where we stand. Costa Rica were World Cup Quarter-Finalists in Brazil going out on penalties. What a gulf in class.