Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

37 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

I see Joe Jordan is the latest one to be mentioned as the next manager. Great player for us who gave everything, but his record as a manager not so goo if I remember....shame as I really like the guy.

I remember years ago when Eric Black worked with the young Scotland team, he was being touted as a future Scotland manager, but seems to be assistant to numerous clubs but never really in the hot seat.

65 and hasn't held a permanent managers position for 20 years. even the SFA wouldn't appoint him.

would be lucky to get a job in saudi/india etc

Edited by LewisEDI

57 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

No major problem as still a young player and I am sure the right manager will get the best out of him.

Looks like Lee Johnson (part Scots himself) is managing to get the best out of Paterson just now. He's one to keep an eye on certainly.

50 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

I remember years ago when Eric Black worked with the young Scotland team, he was being touted as a future Scotland manager, but seems to be assistant to numerous clubs but never really in the hot seat.

Eric Black has a hex on him !

Since 1998 he's been either assistant manager or first team coach at Celtic, Motherwell, Coventry, Birmingham, Wigan, Sunderland, Blackburn, Blackpool, Rotherham and Aston Villa :blink: Always with unhappy endings. The man is jinxed !

He was working at Southampton last year but I don't know if he's still there.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

13 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

Looks like McInnes may go to Rangers, and Moyes seems to be linked with every club in England who sack there manager, so we can possibly rule them out.

Hop they don't wait too long.

Are you Jim Traynor?

1 hour ago, robbo cop said:

Looks like McInnes may go to Rangers, and Moyes seems to be linked with every club in England who sack there manager, so we can possibly rule them out.

Hop they don't wait too long.

McInnes is daft if he goes to Rangers. The club is still being run by a shower of idiots and it looks like they could be on the road to going tits up again if they’re not careful.

Having said that, I don’t think he’ll take the Scotland job at this stage in his career anyway. 

Edited by Texas Pete

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

McInnes is daft if he goes to Rangers. The club is still being run by a shower of idiots and it looks like they could be on the road to going tits up again if they’re not careful.

Having said that, I don’t think he’ll take the Scotland job at this stage in his career anyway. 

No real Rangers fans want McInnes, I don’t think it’ll happen. More chance of him getting the Scotland job probably. 

Moyes getting the West Ham job is a good thing for Scotland.

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

No real Rangers fans want McInnes, I don’t think it’ll happen. More chance of him getting the Scotland job probably. 

We're sunk even deeper if that fool takes charge of the national team. 

One of the most overrated managers in football today.

6 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He’s the ‘preferred candidate’ of the Rangers board though if the BBC and others are to be believed. Since when did clubs listen to their fans wishes on who they want as their manager? I also know a few Rangers fans who do want him. I’ll pass on your opinion that they are not ‘real Rangers fans’ though. ;)

Rangers will offer him a huge salary increase and a bigger budget so he’ll likely be tempted. Not sure it would be a wise move for him though. 

I really can’t see him taking the Scotland job if he doesn’t move to Ibrox. 

Moyes getting a job in England would be good news for us although he may well get sacked before we appoint a new manager. :lol:

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Totally agree about Moyes, said he would rather mange a club than Scotland so better off without him.

10 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

On another point Moyes is coming across as a t**t with regards West Ham job. He is prostituting himself for it when Bilic is still in the job. A big no no for me.

I really can't see the West Ham fans taking to him. They have this unrealistic idea that West Ham must always play open attacking and winning football. They actually have a pretty good squad on paper and so Moyes would have no excuses. It'd be a much better gig than Sunderland. 

Edited by Saint4805

29 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

On another point Moyes is coming across as a t**t with regards West Ham job. He is prostituting himself for it when Bilic is still in the job. A big no no for me.

The guy reeks of desperation. Saying he would be interested in a job that isn’t vacant yet shows a complete lack of respect and class. 

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

aye, what a d!ck he is. I really dont know who i want as a realistic scotland manager, whoever it is im sure i will moan about though. Mcleish is the best of the bunch for me, cant see mcinnes wanting it (yet)

6 hours ago, Saint4805 said:

In terms of the salary, which Championship club(s) would be on a par with the Scotland job? This pretty much determines the calibre of manager that we could attract. Would Nottingham Forest / Leeds / Norwich be about the level we're looking at?

It shouldn't be just about that imo.

How about some personal pride. How about a Scottish manager out there sick to death with Scotland failing time and again and he wants to be the manager to end the hex and make an international tournament again.

He'd probably get a statue put up of him outside Hampden such would be the relief and joy when it happens.

It could also help his job prospects back in club football.

I look at the other home nations. Ten years ago Norn Iron went on a mad run under Lawrie Sanchez. He'd previously managed Wycombe in club football. Fulham offered him a premier league job.

Chris Coleman's previous jobs before taking on Wales were Coventry (sacked) and Larissa. If he dosen't stay on with Wales he'll  probably be a premier league manager next season, same for Michael O'Neill.

Worry is I thought Strachan would achieve all this and he fell short (pardon the pun).

I suppose with all that criteria Billy Davies qualifies as a decent option (had success at club career but lost his way). Shame he's massively paranoid and picks stupid fights with the people who employ him.

Lambert is increasingly looking another option I suspect.

Managers need to be smart about this. You're taking over a team with some good players in the 23-37 age range and euros is much easier to qualify for than the world cup.

Do well and better club sides will come calling than just taking another championship job you'd get sacked from after six months.

Edited by Tartan Chris

Well that’s Bilic sacked from West Ham. I think he’d do a good job for us. Has managed at international level as well as premier league and did pretty well at both.

We should sound him out and if he is interested give him a go.

SFA need to be bold and make the move, not wait to see if he comes to us. We need to be not frightened of somebody saying No.

7 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

Well that’s Bilic sacked from West Ham. I think he’d do a good job for us. Has managed at international level as well as premier league and did pretty well at both.

We should sound him out and if he is interested give him a go.

SFA need to be bold and make the move, not wait to see if he comes to us. We need to be not frightened of somebody saying No.

Thought the same thing when I read he'd been sacked

6 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Throwing some more foreigners into the mix - Maradona but more realistic is Avram Grant.

Said it at the time half jokingly but Dick Advocaat has managed a shed load of international teams so he would actually be a serious contender if/when he leaves Holland (I presume he's still in charge).