Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sorry but the facts are that his managerial record is rank rotten

Think you might want to check his 2 seasons at Cardiff prior to his career being sunk by Tan's "dossier"

1 minute ago, Ally Bongo said:

Think you might want to check his 2 seasons at Cardiff prior to his career being sunk by Tan's "dossier"

No lets look at his WHOLE managerial career and not cherry pick the best bits. Heck if we did that we could make a case for about 30 Scottish managers just now. His managerial career has seen him win 37.20% of his matches - not good enough.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No lets look at his WHOLE managerial career and not cherry pick the best bits. Heck if we did that we could make a case for about 30 Scottish managers just now. His managerial career has seen him win 37.20% of his matches - not good enough.

His WHOLE managerial career prior to Tan's dossier lasted from June 2009 to December 2013 FFS

If after scrutinising his 2 years at Watford and 2 at Cardiff you really think he is rank rotten then i think you might be biased.

BTW - i am in no way cheerleading him being appointed. Just saying it could work out  

Just now, Ally Bongo said:

His WHOLE managerial career prior to Tan's dossier lasted from June 2009 to December 2013 FFS

If after scrutinising his 2 years at Watford and 2 at Cardiff you really think he is rank rotten then i think you might be biased.

BTW - i am in no way cheerleading him being appointed. Just saying it could work out  

Look at his whole career. I couldn't give a stuff about problems he had - you have to deal with it. He has been in (and out of management) from 2008 (as caretaker at first at Watford where he was in charge) up until April 2015. If he had issues to deal with and you are trying to say it impacted on his spell at Wigan then tough crap as it was all of his own making. Every manager has spells where they have to deal with adversity - it is how they come through it that marks them up as a manager and he didn't come through his adversity.

If he is appointed full-time (hopefully not) he'll get my support but I foresee another Burley-esque spell.

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don’t particularly want MacKay either but I don’t think you can rely on his overall win percentage to gauge how good a manager he is. 

You would need to look at his win percentage for each club he has managed and compare them to the percentage of other recent managers of those clubs (which I can’t be bothered to do) to get any sort of accurate picture. 

You would also need to look at his record in clutch matches (relegation/promotion deciders in his case probably) to see how good he is at motivating and organising nervous players. 

Although the best managers will have good win percentages, there’s a lot more to management than that. Most very good managers end up at clubs at the top of the league who win most of their games. MacKay didn’t get the chance to do that because he’s a bit of a racist. Allegedly. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t particularly want MacKay either but I don’t think you can rely on his overall win percentage to gauge how good a manager he is. 

You would need to look at his win percentage for each club he has managed and compare them to the percentage of other recent managers of those clubs (which I can’t be bothered to do) to get any sort of accurate picture. 

You would also need to look at his record in clutch matches (relegation/promotion deciders in his case probably) to see how good he is at motivating and organising nervous players. 

Although the best managers will have good win percentages, there’s a lot more to management than that. Most very good managers end up at clubs at the top of the league who win most of their games. MacKay didn’t get the chance to do that because he’s a bit of a racist. Allegedly. 

We are talking about appointing him as SCOTLAND manager for god sake. I want someone in with a far better resume than he has and preferably not one with shit sticking to him. The job is testing enough without putting an unproven manager in charge who has had a tarnished background.

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

We are talking about appointing him as SCOTLAND manager for god sake. I want someone in with a far better resume than he has and preferably not one with shit sticking to him. The job is testing enough without putting an unproven manager in charge who has had a tarnished background.

I agree with you. I was just pointing out that overall win percentages are a pretty useless stat to judge how good a manager someone is. 

I would be surprised if any of the candidates in the frame have a win percentage of much more than 40%.

I do think you might be overestimating the prestige of the Scotland managers job though. Unfortunately it’s not the sought after position it once was. 

It’s obviously very important to us (the fans) who gets the job but the majority of top managers won’t exactly be rushing to submit their CV to the SFA.

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I do think you might be overestimating the prestige of the Scotland managers job though. Unfortunately it’s not the sought after position it once was. 

It’s obviously very important to us (the fans) who gets the job but the majority of top managers won’t exactly be rushing to submit their CV to the SFA.

This has nothing to do with prestige. If I were awaiting a managerial appointment for any club I supported at any level of football I'd want the best man available for the job and that ain't Malky Mackay by a long shot. 

36 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

This has nothing to do with prestige. If I were awaiting a managerial appointment for any club I supported at any level of football I'd want the best man available for the job and that ain't Malky Mackay by a long shot. 

He may be the best man that applies though (although I hope not).

We’ll need to see who applies. 

The only person who has said that he actually wants the job so far is McLeish (is he better than MacKay? I’m not sure). 

Moyes has more or less stated that he doesn’t want it but will take it as a last resort as it’s better than being on the dole (I’m paraphrasing a bit here).

Everyone else has either distanced themselves from the job or have remained silent. 

I don’t think the SFA will be inundated with applications for world class managers was the point I was struggling to make. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

He may be the best man that applies though (although I hope not).

We’ll need to see who applies. 

The only person who has said that he actually wants the job so far is McLeish (is he better than MacKay? I’m not sure). 

Moyes has more or less stated that he doesn’t want it but will take it as a last resort as it’s better than being on the dole (I’m paraphrasing a bit here).

Everyone else has either distanced themselves from the job or have remained silent. 

I don’t think the SFA will be inundated with applications for world class managers was the point I was struggling to make. 

I'd have Malky ahead of McLeish for sure. I'd also have him before Moyes too as Moyes by his own words would take the job as he has no other offers from any club which is his stated preference.

I only want a manager who really wants to manage us, not willing to take it cos he needs a job.

Malky Mackay is a damn good manager. I was a Cardiff season ticket holder for many years before during and after his time there. He had us playing some good stuff but also had us hard to beat as well. Not the full of flair stuff that some clubs produce, but in my time watching City his style was certainly the best overall we played.

He took a relatively average squad and won the league in pretty decent style. There were better squads in the Championship than City had but Mackay got the best out of them. He'd have kept Cardiff up had he not been sacked I am convinced.

He could be exactly what we need. Not the prettiest football on the eye but hard to beat, very effective and got results. Sounds like a good match for Scotland job to me.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

43 minutes ago, DaveyDenoon said:

I'd have Malky ahead of McLeish for sure. I'd also have him before Moyes too as Moyes by his own words would take the job as he has no other offers from any club which is his stated preference.

I only want a manager who really wants to manage us, not willing to take it cos he needs a job.

Malky Mackay is a damn good manager. I was a Cardiff season ticket holder for many years before during and after his time there. He had us playing some good stuff but also had us hard to beat as well. Not the full of flair stuff that some clubs produce, but in my time watching City his style was certainly the best overall we played.

He took a relatively average squad and won the league in pretty decent style. There were better squads in the Championship than City had but Mackay got the best out of them. He'd have kept Cardiff up had he not been sacked I am convinced.

He could be exactly what we need. Not the prettiest football on the eye but hard to beat, very effective and got results. Sounds like a good match for Scotland job to me.

I have no doubt MacKay could do a job for us. I think McLeish probably could as well. If they both  actually want the job and try their hardest.

The problem with MacKay is all the baggage that comes with him. I doubt the SFA would want the controversy.

I also think there’s a better man out there for the job. Whether we can find him or not and whether he wants the job or not is another matter. 

2 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I doubt the SFA would want the controversy.

Id suggest it is exactly what they want

Any deflection from their decades of mismanagement as custodians of the game is welcomed

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Id suggest it is exactly what they want

Any deflection from their decades of mismanagement as custodians of the game is welcomed

I doubt it. If MacKay ends up coming out with a racist comment or something or, more likely, something else that he’s done in the past emerges then the SFA are going to look pretty stupid for giving him the top job. Not that I think that’s likely to happen but will the SFA be willing to take the risk?

If we forget all that nonsense though and we are only left with McLeish, Moyes and MacKay then I think Malky would just about shade it for me.

16 minutes ago, girvanTA said:

Gary McCallister for me

Interesting choice. 

He hasn’t managed anyone for about 5 years and is unproven as a manager really. I can’t really  remember how he got on at Coventry but it was about 15 years ago.

He is the type of cut price option the SFA would go for I suppose but I don’t think he’s the right man. He’d make a good assistant though as I think he’s an excellent coach. 

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Interesting choice. 

He hasn’t managed anyone for about 5 years and is unproven as a manager really. I can’t really  remember how he got on at Coventry but it was about 15 years ago.

He is the type of cut price option the SFA would go for I suppose but I don’t think he’s the right man. He’d make a good assistant though as I think he’s an excellent coach. 

If you want to talk about coaches then Colin Caldwerood is seemingly and excellent coach, humpty as a manager mind you