Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 80 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

On 16/02/2018 at 9:58 PM, Texas Pete said:

Aren’t we currently ranked 27th in Europe or something? If that is a genuine reflection of how good we are then qualifying for Euro 2020 would be an achievement.

I didn’t actually say getting within a baw hair of qualifying would be a good achievement.  I said McLeish won’t be getting any job offers unless he does at least that. 

Whoever I was replying to seems to think he’ll be offered the Rangers job if he gets a couple of decent results in our next 4 meaningless friendlies. 

20th in Europe so qualifying is no more than pass marks and were Strachan left us. Qualifying from group stages at finals would therefor be an achievable objective and the least required for his appointment to be regarded as a success .

Okay having calmed down after the anger of this appointment;I’ve just had a look at the raft of  talented centre backs coming through at the moment;Jack Hendry at Celtic , Scott McKenna at Aberdeen , souttar at hearts Liam Lindsay at Barnsley & Liam cooper at Leeds  in particular & have done a bit of a 360 on our prospects. I’d say there’s now a more than half decent squad there with some strength in every department so it wouldn’t take a managerial genius to get them to make the playoffs. Mcleish is a charmed man indeed. Basically get the team full of the Celtic top performers,sprinkle in some added experience and I think we’re looking at overall the youngest & strongest squad since 1997. No excuses left now.

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

20th in Europe so qualifying is no more than pass marks and were Strachan left us. Qualifying from group stages at finals would therefor be an achievable objective and the least required for his appointment to be regarded as a success .

If we are 20th in Europe why are there 24 teams ranked above us in the Nations League?

Rankings are often misleading anyway. Compared to what we’ve achieved in the last 20 years (fuck all), qualifying for Euro 2020 would be a huge improvement and a good achievement. 

Considering we’d have 2 games at home and a game at Wembley (potentially not against England so there would be a huge number of Scots there) I think the second round would be a real possibility, depending on the draw of course. 

Sounds easy doesn’t it? There’s just the small matter of qualifying now. 

44 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

If we are 20th in Europe why are there 24 teams ranked above us in the Nations League?

Rankings are often misleading anyway. Compared to what we’ve achieved in the last 20 years (fuck all), qualifying for Euro 2020 would be a huge improvement and a good achievement. 

Considering we’d have 2 games at home and a game at Wembley (potentially not against England so there would be a huge number of Scots there) I think the second round would be a real possibility, depending on the draw of course. 

Sounds easy doesn’t it? There’s just the small matter of qualifying now. 

31st in the world, had to admit it surprised me. Still behind N.Ireland and the ROI though that's hardly scary the next ten below us are much of a much, Any of them find a couple of players they beat us if we do we beat them.

Sorry but we are going to have to disagree on this one I don't regard doing what you should be able to do as an achievement if it is I'm one of life's great achievers. 

By the way I am not at all against McLeish.   

45 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

31st in the world, had to admit it surprised me. Still behind N.Ireland and the ROI though that's hardly scary the next ten below us are much of a much, Any of them find a couple of players they beat us if we do we beat them.

Sorry but we are going to have to disagree on this one I don't regard doing what you should be able to do as an achievement if it is I'm one of life's great achievers. 

By the way I am not at all against McLeish.   

UEFA have their own ranking system so being 31st in the world doesn’t make you 20th in Europe just because there are 11 non-European teams above you in the world rankings. 

The world rankings are ridiculously inaccurate. I’m not sure UEFA’s are any better to be fair but according to them we are 25th in Europe (or at least we were when the pots for the Nations League were decided). 

We’ve been ranked as high as 14th in the world in the last 10-15 years. Do you honestly believe we were in the top 10 or so in Europe at that time? 

If we make an arse of the Nations League and get relegated then we will probably end up in pot four in the qualifying draw so qualifying would hardly be expected. Even if we are in pot 3 it will be difficult.

Edited by Texas Pete

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Well we did beat the world champions twice, made us look a lot better than we actually were . Who was the manager then?

McLeish. 

That’s what I mean though. The rankings can do that. 

When the Nations League pots were decided, UEFA reckoned there were 24 teams better than us in Europe so we are not favourites to qualify according to them. 

I personally think we are better than that but we got lucky and are in a NL group with teams that we really should beat. 

If we can do well in the NL I think we can sneak into pot 2 for the qualifiers and we’ll definitely be in with a great shout. 

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

McLeish. 

That’s what I mean though. The rankings can do that. 

When the Nations League pots were decided, UEFA reckoned there were 24 teams better than us in Europe so we are not favourites to qualify according to them. 

I personally think we are better than that but we got lucky and are in a NL group with teams that we really should beat. 

If we can do well in the NL I think we can sneak into pot 2 for the qualifiers and we’ll definitely be in with a great shout. 

It took me about an hour to understand how the nations league work but surely there must be a really good chance of us qualifying through that route ? We should win the group stage and then we need to win two games in a knock out format to qualify. I think from memory we also get home advantage in those two knock outs (that may be b@llocks).

25 minutes ago, WeeJohmny said:

It took me about an hour to understand how the nations league work but surely there must be a really good chance of us qualifying through that route ? We should win the group stage and then we need to win two games in a knock out format to qualify. I think from memory we also get home advantage in those two knock outs (that may be b@llocks).

Aye we’ve got a great chance of a playoff but it will be two one off games against teams with a similar ranking so nothing is guaranteed even if we do win our group. 

As to where the playoffs are played I think one of the games is a toss of a coin and the other is a home tie for the higher ranked team. I can’t remember exactly how it works though. 

The playoffs aren’t played until after the qualifiers though so I would rather qualify in the normal way and let someone else worry about the playoffs. 

On Sunday, February 18, 2018 at 6:44 PM, todd said:

The way the sfa have performed recently is an example of how the Scottish government would perform on a grander scale.  That's why so many voted no. Not because they hate their country, quite the opposite.

By that logic a large organisation like the English FA should be competently run without a whiff of scandal or corruption.

Edited by Toepoke

6 minutes ago, Dogbiscuit said:

Not really no. But it's hypothetical because he has no interest in it.

Not really? The answer should be absolutely not.

Personally, I do not give a stuff about their political views as long as they do a good job for the Scotland national football team. In any case you must be naive if you think that a good fair few of our best ever players were not yoons at heart. Point being who cares about their political views as it will bear no resemblance on whether we get independence or not.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Not really? The answer should be absolutely not.

Personally, I do not give a stuff about their political views as long as they do a good job for the Scotland national football team. In any case you must be naive if you think that a good fair few of our best ever players were not yoons at heart. Point being who cares about their political views as it will bear no resemblance on whether we get independence or not.

You’re spoiling for an argument with Dogbiscuit for no reason here.