Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 79 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

19 minutes ago, The Laud said:

I think its Mcliesh who should be embarrassed.managing a country that he doesnt want to be a country.

Jesus. This bigoted pish again. 

I voted yes and will vote yes again if I get the chance but I’m not bigoted or stupid enough to hate someone or think they shouldn’t have a job because of their political beliefs. 

Scotland is a country whether we are independent or not. McLeish loved playing for his country so I have no doubt he’s passionate about Scotland. Whether or not he has the ability to take us to a tournament remains to be seen but we’ll find that out over the next year and a half or so. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Jesus. This bigoted pish again. 

I voted yes and will vote yes again if I get the chance but I’m not bigoted or stupid enough to hate someone or think they shouldn’t have a job because of their political beliefs. 

Scotland is a country whether we are independent or not. McLeish loved playing for his country so I have no doubt he’s passionate about Scotland. Whether or not he has the ability to take us to a tournament remains to be seen but we’ll find that out over the next year and a half or so. 

Spot on.

And using their mentality then they would not have wanted Fergie in the job either.

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

He does however happily fly the Union Jack. Where's his principles min

It would be kind of hard not to if you were representing Britain at the Olympics I suppose. 

It is possible not to hate Britain and still support Scottish independence. Rare but possible. 

20 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It would be kind of hard not to if you were representing Britain at the Olympics I suppose. 

It is possible not to hate Britain and still support Scottish independence. Rare but possible. 

Don't think there are many people in Scotland that hate Britain so by that reckoning it is quite possible to do both.

38 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

15 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Don't think there are many people in Scotland that hate Britain so by that reckoning it is quite possible to do both.

How did you feel about members of the Scotland squad being quoted for a place in Team GB for the 2012 olympics....

The feeling on here wasn't as clear and straightforward as it's been quoted above. Many posts were posted with nothing more than bile and vitriol contained in them towards individuals who were merely quoted as possible call up la to the team gb squad 

Edited by DoonTheSlope

3 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

How did you feel about members of the Scotland squad being quoted for a place in Team GB for the 2012 olympics....

The feeling on here wasn't as clear and straightforward as it's been quoted above. Many posts were posted with nothing more than bile and vitriol contained in them towards individuals if they opted to represent team gb

A GB football team is different though as it allegedly jeapordises our standing with FIFA (although there’s no real evidence of this as far as I know). 

Playing tennis (or any other sport) for GB at the Olympics doesn’t negatively affect Scotland in any way. 

Having said that, I don’t agree with anyone getting any abuse for wanting to play for GB in the olympics. People are free to do as they please. 

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

A GB football team is different though as it allegedly jeapordises our standing with FIFA (although there’s no real evidence of this as far as I know). 

Playing tennis (or any other sport) for GB at the Olympics doesn’t negatively affect Scotland in any way. 

Having said that, I don’t agree with anyone getting any abuse for wanting to play for GB in the olympics. People are free to do as they please. 

What negative impact has team gb six years ago had on England and Wales? 

Just now, DoonTheSlope said:

What negative impact has team gb six years ago had on England and Wales? 

Well exactly. That’s why I said there’s no real evidence of it. Especially since FIFA have admitted Kosovo and Gibraltar fairly recently. 

Every time a GB team is mentioned the SFA soil themselves though. 

58 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

The feeling on here wasn't as clear and straightforward as it's been quoted above. Many posts were posted with nothing more than bile and vitriol contained in them towards individuals who were merely quoted as possible call up la to the team gb squad 

There is some extreme Scottish nationalism on this board and team GB is never going to appeal even, in an olympics or on an xbox game.

No one want's team GB in the proper sense....and that includes every one unless some unionist want's to post otherwise. 

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They also get themselves all excited during the tennis supporting Andy Murray who happily waves the butchers apron

Aww come on man eh?

My desire for independence for Scotland is vast as are many of Scots (including Murray)  represent GB at sports. It makes them or me no less a passionate Scot to wish them the very best in whatever they do. My desire for independence is fuelled a lot by despising Westminster-rule and I have nothing against Brits leading normal lives. Also unless you hadn't realised Murray certainly did not donate ₤1 million of his own money to the Better Together campaign like Fergie did.

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Firstly Britain is a land mass

The United Kingdom is a political construct

Scotland, like Wales and England will always be part of Britain - it is impossible for us to leave unless there is a massive earthquake which separates the island

The angst towards Team GB was fairly straightfoward - many high up bods with insights into FIFA warned that the separate identities of the Scottish, Welsh and English FA's could be in jeopardy somewhere down the line

There was no bile and vitriol towards anyone quoted as being called up - you are rewriting history

Any bile and vitriol was towards anyone that said they wanted to be part of it - considering the warnings mentioned above

14 hours ago, tartanmartin said:

Aye whatever boss. I never once said he was an alky. You just keep making it up to suit your agenda :P

Can you read? I stated clearly you didn't use the word. 

You did however imply that he was. 

I'm bored with you now. You're obviously just a small minded wee boy. 

Ive no idea of the legalities around it but you may even be guilty of slander. I'm sure one of the many lawyers that were on the board during the Rangers debacle will be along shortly to let us know about that. 

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Can you read? I stated clearly you didn't use the word. 

You did however imply that he was. 

I'm bored with you now. You're obviously just a small minded wee boy. 

Ive no idea of the legalities around it but you may even be guilty of slander. I'm sure one of the many lawyers that were on the board during the Rangers debacle will be along shortly to let us know about that. 

Defamation in Scotland (covers both written and oral).

12 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

Here's one - very good way in which having GB Olympics team in the Olympics would impact on the Scottish National team.

For the London 2012 Olympics it was a fairly easy option as the host nations automatically qualify by right and due to money and the need for a host nation competing to make a success of the competition I believe the SFA, FAW and IFA were basically told by FIFA, you can protest and not take part if you want but don't try to stop it.

For any other Olympics not held in the UK it becomes a lot more problematic and this is where it starts to become a threat.

For the men's tournament - because it is an underage tournament - the qualification route is via the UEFA under 21 tournament whose finals are in the year before the Olympics - so for the 2016 Olympics, these were the 2015 U21 championships played in the Czech Republic with the qualification games being played in 2013 and 2014.    The top four teams in the finals qualify for the Olympics.   Of the home nations, England qualified for the finals but were knocked out in the group stages.  Had they got through to the semi finals, they wouldn't have been able to qualify for the Olympics - as England do not compete in the Olympics - and so would another team would take their place.

For the Women's Olympic tournament - as this is a full age tournament - then the qualification for UEFA teams is the Women's World Cup which took place in 2015, where the three top place UEFA nations qualify for the Olympics.  England finished third in the tournament and were the top UEFA nation but they couldn't qualify for the Olympics as again, England are not IOC members.  UEFA had a mini tournament to decide who took the extra UEFA slot.

So there's the problem in a nutshell - outwith the exceptional circumstance of a home nation qualifying automatically - there is no method for GB to qualify for the finals.  If the Olympic tournaments were so important then that would mean that all four home nations would have to scrap their Mens U21 setup - which probably means scrapping the whole youth system - and their entire Women's set up and compete as Team GB at all levels.   That would inevitably and very quickly lead to all associations merging.

The other "fudge" that often gets mentioned is "well, if one of the home nations qualifies then let them represent Team GB", there is something in that except it means that the UK has four chances to qualify for the Olympics where *every other* nation taking part only has one and in no way can that be considered fair.   Of course the media will gloss over that as "It's only England who are capable of qualifying", however going back to 1992, the Scotland U21 team finished fourth and so under normal circumstances would have qualified for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

Any attempts to resurrect Team GB in football should be resisted by anyone who cares about Scottish Football should be resisted at all costs.

I've actually a huge degree of sympathy for any of the Womens players as the Olympic Tournament  is probably on a par with the World Cup in terms of its importance in the game, so I have no real ill will towards Kim Little and Ifeoma Dieke for taking part.   For the men its a different story.

10 minutes ago, aaid said:

Here's one - very good way in which having GB Olympics team in the Olympics would impact on the Scottish National team.

For the London 2012 Olympics it was a fairly easy option as the host nations automatically qualify by right and due to money and the need for a host nation competing to make a success of the competition I believe the SFA, FAW and IFA were basically told by FIFA, you can protest and not take part if you want but don't try to stop it.

For any other Olympics not held in the UK it becomes a lot more problematic and this is where it starts to become a threat.

For the men's tournament - because it is an underage tournament - the qualification route is via the UEFA under 21 tournament whose finals are in the year before the Olympics - so for the 2016 Olympics, these were the 2015 U21 championships played in the Czech Republic with the qualification games being played in 2013 and 2014.    The top four teams in the finals qualify for the Olympics.   Of the home nations, England qualified for the finals but were knocked out in the group stages.  Had they got through to the semi finals, they wouldn't have been able to qualify for the Olympics - as England do not compete in the Olympics - and so would another team would take their place.

For the Women's Olympic tournament - as this is a full age tournament - then the qualification for UEFA teams is the Women's World Cup which took place in 2015, where the three top place UEFA nations qualify for the Olympics.  England finished third in the tournament and were the top UEFA nation but they couldn't qualify for the Olympics as again, England are not IOC members.  UEFA had a mini tournament to decide who took the extra UEFA slot.

So there's the problem in a nutshell - outwith the exceptional circumstance of a home nation qualifying automatically - there is no method for GB to qualify for the finals.  If the Olympic tournaments were so important then that would mean that all four home nations would have to scrap their Mens U21 setup - which probably means scrapping the whole youth system - and their entire Women's set up and compete as Team GB at all levels.   That would inevitably and very quickly lead to all associations merging.

The other "fudge" that often gets mentioned is "well, if one of the home nations qualifies then let them represent Team GB", there is something in that except it means that the UK has four chances to qualify for the Olympics where *every other* nation taking part only has one and in no way can that be considered fair.   Of course the media will gloss over that as "It's only England who are capable of qualifying", however going back to 1992, the Scotland U21 team finished fourth and so under normal circumstances would have qualified for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

Any attempts to resurrect Team GB in football should be resisted by anyone who cares about Scottish Football should be resisted at all costs.

I've actually a huge degree of sympathy for any of the Womens players as the Olympic Tournament  is probably on a par with the World Cup in terms of its importance in the game, so I have no real ill will towards Kim Little and Ifeoma Dieke for taking part.   For the men its a different story.

How would having Scots in the London 2012 Olympic football squad have jeapordised anything though?

I have no desire to see a GB & NI team in any competition but the whole thing reeks of scaremongering. Ultimately, the SFA (and probably the other 3 associations) will never let FIFA merge us and I don’t think FIFA have any desire to do so.

Football shouldn’t even be an Olympic sport in my opinion but that’s an argument for a different board. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

How would having Scots in the London 2012 Olympic football squad have jeapordised anything though?

I have no desire to see a GB & NI team in any competition but the whole thing reeks of scaremongering. Ultimately, the SFA (and probably the other 3 associations) will never let FIFA merge us and I don’t think FIFA have any desire to do so.

Football shouldn’t even be an Olympic sport in my opinion but that’s an argument for a different board. 

Quite simply it is just not a risk even worth taking for what? A tournament that falls way down the pecking order in terms of importance AND at a time when players are moaning about too much football it is just not needed. Tradition in football is that internationally GB does not exist.

11 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Because when you get the foot in the door, it then encourages the those who don't have the interests of Scottish Football to try and push it open.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40884525

14 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

He does however happily fly the Union Jack. Where's his principles min

Unfortunately if you're Scottish and have ambitions to be pro tennis player then you don't have much choice than to represent Britain, so can't begrudge Andy Murray for that. I do however resent the fact that he praised David Cameron in his Wimbledon speech. WTF was that all about?

I didn't know that McLeish was pro union. When did he express this?