Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 75 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

7 hours ago, WeeJohmny said:

This is a brilliant post. But look at what Kenny says ! I am happy with Big Eck but why didn't the Blazers ask Kenny - even part time ? Do you expect someone like that to put their CV together and throw it in to a hat.

Look at his managerial successes e.g. only one of two player managers to win the top division in England, only one of four managers to win the top division in England with two teams.

The teams he has been thought of as doing shite with...........his last stint at Liverpool of one season was the best they've had in 15 years - two cup finals with one win and European football. Even Newcastle fans don't seem to like him but he was the only manager to get them champions league football.

Go on Big Eck - but ask Kenny for a bit of mentoring !

He isn’t the only manager to get Newcastle CL football..

Cons.

1. He quit last time he had the job.

2. He quit at Birmingham to go to their biggest rivals. This tells you all you need to know about him.

3. His record since moving to Villa has been poor.

4. His appointment has upset fans who are already fed up with the SFA and the team.

He needs to have a really good start next month and his squad has got to be right. He could do himself a big favour by getting Scott McTominay in there. I expect we are more like to see Charlie Adam called up again. 

7 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

If anyone else wanted him he wouldn't be with Scotland. That's an absolute nonsense question. 

No one else wanted him last time

9 months later an average side did and he left

This is also the man that then left Birmingham for Villa

2 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Cons.

2. He quit at Birmingham to go to their biggest rivals. This tells you all you need to know about him.

4. His appointment has upset fans who are already fed up with the SFA and the team.

He needs to have a really good start next month and his squad has got to be right. He could do himself a big favour by getting Scott McTominay in there. I expect we are more like to see Charlie Adam called up again. 

Your last sentence proves that no matter what happens you'll pick fault. He hasn't got his arse in the door and you're criticising him for something you imagined. 

2 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Your last sentence proves that no matter what happens you'll pick fault. He hasn't got his arse in the door and you're criticising him for something you imagined. 

He has a lot to prove. I think it will turn out to be a very poor appointment. 

He doesn't have a goodwill that a new manager normally has and he has to get things right from the start. 

Cons.

1. He didn't renew the contract

2. No it doesn't, it tells us he saw the Villa job as more attractive. He had no allegiance to Birmingham or its supporters

3. Agreed to a certain extent but why is this a big problem? David Moyes looked spent but he's turned West Ham around and brought back some passion to them

4. Lets be honest, there's not one candidate who would NOT upset a section of the sport

I'd be happy if he never calls up your hero James Forrest. Brilliant for Celtic but shite for Scotland

3 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Cons.

5. Sevco

6. Huns

7. Sevco

8. EBTs

There - no need to hide it behind some film flam about a football person changing jobs.

Be honest about your grievance - it’s the first step to a cure.

New manager , fresh start, let’s put booing of our own players behind us and focus on Euro 2020.

1 minute ago, tjm007 said:

5. Sevco

6. Huns

7. Sevco

8. EBTs

There - no need to hide it behind some film flam about a football person changing jobs.

Be honest about your grievance - it’s the first step to a cure.

New manager , fresh start, let’s put booing of our own players behind us and focus on Euro 2020.

:lol: :lol: You're a funny guy :lol: :lol:

I liked him the first time. 

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

1. He didn't renew the contract

2. No it doesn't, it tells us he saw the Villa job as more attractive. He had no allegiance to Birmingham or its supporters

3. Agreed to a certain extent but why is this a big problem? David Moyes looked spent but he's turned West Ham around and brought back some passion to them

4. Lets be honest, there's not one candidate who would NOT upset a section of the sport

I'd be happy if he never calls up your hero James Forrest. Brilliant for Celtic but shite for Scotland

1. He had time left on his contract. It didn't need renewing at that point. 

2. He saw Birmingham as more attractive than Scotland. If we start well, will he be away at the next offer.

3. Moyes is a better manager than McLeish IMO. 

4. There is a difference between a few fans not being happy and the amount not happy about McLeish. He can get fans onside but he needs a good start. 

If McLeish can get the best out of players like Forrest, we will qualify for Euro 2020 (and he can get another job in England :lol:

Edited by PASTA Mick

6 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

1. He had time left on his contract. It didn't need renewing at that point. 

2. He saw Birmingham as more attractive than Scotland. If we start well, will he be away at the next offer.

3. Moyes is a better manager than McLeish IMO. 

4. There is a difference between a few fans not being happy and the amount not happy about McLeish. He can get fans onside but he needs a good start. 

If McLeish can get the best out of players like Forrest, we will qualify for Euro 2020 (and he can get another job in England :lol:

1. How long was left on the contract? Wasn't it due to expire before the next competitive Match? He had ambitions to manage in the premier league, whats the problem? Loyalty does not exist in football anymore. 

2. He did indeed as would the vast majority of managers, england is the be all and end all for most managers in the UK because of the money available and the players that play there. Welcome to modern football. Just because he left before doesn't mean he will do it again, if he is successful he may see it as long term

3. Thats wasn't the point. The point is Moyes had poor tenures at Sunderland and Sociedad before gaining some respectability back at WH. McLiesh can do the same with Scotland.

4. How do you know how many fans are happy about McLiesh or not? are you using this place or social media as a guage? Do you understand forums and the likes of facebook? They are cauldrons of negativity even at the best of times. 

5. Forrest will never be good for Scotland, he has the freedom to express himself at Celtic, he gets a lot more space with Celtic, its a more difficult and more defensive game for Scotland. He should be on the bench at best, Ryan Fraser should be first pick ahead of him.

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Forrest will never be good for Scotland, he has the freedom to express himself at Celtic, he gets a lot more space with Celtic, its a more difficult and more defensive game for Scotland. He should be on the bench at best, Ryan Fraser should be first pick ahead of him.

His contract was until after the 2010 World Cup. He had over 2 years left when he resigned.

Not going over all the other bits. I'm not happy about his appointment and don't think he will lead us to Euro 2020. I hope I'm wrong.

To say Forrest isn't good enough is laughable. He is. There is room for Forrest and Fraser in the same team. I'd have those two wide of Griffiths as a forward 3. 

Edited by PASTA Mick

Just now, PASTA Mick said:

Not going over all the other bits. I'm not happy about his appointment and don't think he will lead us to Euro 2020. I hope I'm wrong.

To say Forrest isn't good enough is laughable. He is. There is room for Forrest and Fraser in the same team. I'd have those two wide of Griffiths as a forward 3. 

You're not going over the other bits because you know you've made an arse of it. You can stay unhappy about it all you want, I've shown the reason for you being unhappy at this appointment to be shite but you still want to be a miserable goat.

Forrest is not good enough, time and time again he does not deliver the same level of performance for scotland as he does for celtic. I would be chuffed as hell if he did start to show the same form for Scotland but how many chances does he get? There isn't room in a Scotland team for passengers, we are not good enough for that.

1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

You're not going over the other bits because you know you've made an arse of it. You can stay unhappy about it all you want, I've shown the reason for you being unhappy at this appointment to be shite but you still want to be a miserable goat.

Forrest is not good enough, time and time again he does not deliver the same level of performance for scotland as he does for celtic. I would be chuffed as hell if he did start to show the same form for Scotland but how many chances does he get? There isn't room in a Scotland team for passengers, we are not good enough for that.

:lol: I think you missed my edit.

You've shown me nothing of the sort. You've made stuff up to try and help your argument but it hasn't worked. 

I think you underestimate the impact Forrest has had. He wins countless free-kicks and bookings (and reds), gets the ball up the pitch quickly and carries a good attacking threat. There are far worse performers in the team that don't get half the stick he gets. 

3 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

You've shown me nothing of the sort. You've made stuff up to try and help your argument but it hasn't worked. 

I think you underestimate the impact Forrest has had. He wins countless free-kicks and bookings (and reds), gets the ball up the pitch quickly and carries a good attacking threat. There are far worse performers in the team that don't get half the stick he gets. 

I'm happy to be proved wrong on McLiesh but I have read his deal was about to end too. Thats only one point and its still doesn't mean he's a turn coat as you say.

Your ignorance is beyond help as your blind faith in Forrest.

Forrest is in a position where we have better, people can see his performances for Celtic and then when they see him playing shite for Scotland they give him deserved criticism. Winning free kicks is hardly worth keeping in the squad. A man in his position should be scoring and creating more goals. Time to try something new. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

He could do himself a big favour by getting Scott McTominay in there.

That's a really good shout. We should steal a march on England by offering him the captaincy and skipping the under 21s. With England he has competition from Dier and Winks and others so he would be in a queue. He would give us physical power next to McGinn, a position where we are a bit lightweight. Plus 2 key players from L'pool and ManU in our starting eleven.

I think McLeish isn't a bad choice, but Steve Clarke would've been better as would sticking with Strachan.

Looking at McLeish's reign:

-Terrible performance at home to Georgia and very lucky to win

--Not too bad away to Italy but comfortably beaten

-2-0 win in the Faeroes although they hit the woodwork twice if I remember correctly

-3-1 win at home to Lithuania. We played better against Lithuania under Strachan

-1-0 win in Paris when we had one shot on goal and got absolutely battered

-3-1 win at home to Ukraine, probably the only excellent performance McLeish had, although we did play well at home to Italy as well

-2-0 defeat in Georgia

-2-1 defeat at home to Italy

In contrast, under Strachan I thought that Georgia and Slovakia away were the only really bad performances in the last two campaigns.

I'm fully aware that it's results that count and not performances, but performances indicate what is to come in the future and if the team is progressing or not. I saw more progression under McLeish than under Smith although that wouldn't be difficult, but I saw much more progression under Strachan. I saw a Scotland team that are finally comfortable in possession, that attack the opposition sometimes, at Wembley we actually pressed a team and away from home at that. I also saw Scotland remain unbeaten in 6 competitive games for the first time since Craig Brown qualified us for our last finals. What do we do? Sack the manager. Regan took that decision but he didn't have much choice, given the impatience and criticism of a large part of the Tartan Army. People calling McLeish disloyal really have a cheek given that they call for the manager to get sacked after a couple of bad results. Be careful what you wish for.

24 minutes ago, Que Sera Sera said:

I think McLeish isn't a bad choice, but Steve Clarke would've been better as would sticking with Strachan.

-2-0 win in the Faeroes although they hit the woodwork twice if I remember correctly

-3-1 win at home to Lithuania. We played better against Lithuania under Strachan

-3-1 win at home to Ukraine, probably the only excellent performance McLeish had, although we did play well at home to Italy as well

-2-0 defeat in Georgia

In contrast, under Strachan I thought that Georgia and Slovakia away were the only really bad performances in the last two campaigns.

I'm fully aware that it's results that count and not performances, but performances indicate what is to come in the future and if the team is progressing or not. I saw more progression under McLeish than under Smith although that wouldn't be difficult, but I saw much more progression under Strachan. I saw a Scotland team that are finally comfortable in possession, that attack the opposition sometimes, at Wembley we actually pressed a team and away from home at that. I also saw Scotland remain unbeaten in 6 competitive games for the first time since Craig Brown qualified us for our last finals. What do we do? Sack the manager. Regan took that decision but he didn't have much choice, given the impatience and criticism of a large part of the Tartan Army. People calling McLeish disloyal really have a cheek given that they call for the manager to get sacked after a couple of bad results. Be careful what you wish for.

I could have put up with retaining Strachan if only he had a bit more faith in youth. We are at the stage now when the elder statesmen need to be filtered out.

Wee Jamesie in the form of his life. Be interesting to see if he can bring it in dark blue. 👍

I wouldn't trouble myself arguing with a clown who can't even spell the new manager's name m8. 😉

So much negativity. I would have liked to have got a foreign manager. Someone who is not familiar with the Scottish expectation to fail. But more than happy welcome back Big Eck. I don't see this as a backward step. There are plenty of positives:

He actually wanted the job and might feel that he has unfinished business / a point to prove.

He took us within a whisker of qualification from the hardest group in history (arguably a bigger achievement than O' Niel taking NI to Euros).

He knows what the job's all about now.

He has a good win ratio with Scotland, maybe the best in a generation.

It's harsh to say that he's already failed when we were in the group of death.

His notable low point was losing away to Georgia and hopefully lessons have been learned (this is crucial as it's always one of these games where we stumble).

It looks like he's lining up Faddy for his team which would be good for morale.

I think he deserves a second chance (more so than Walter Smith).

The comments on this thread are absolutely hilarious 😂

WATP 

Why are they 'hilarious'? Are you not so bright?

Wait, are you one of those deranged 'political' pretendy football fans who hate their own country/national team and loudly claim to do so while representing the club team they say they support even though that club team is of the same country you hate (and so are you)?

Whether it's Old Trafford, Anfield, Ibrox, Celtic Park or Aberdeen Mad you cretins are one of the absolute worst things about modern football.

Edited by stactuso85

10 minutes ago, Dogbiscuit said:

So much negativity. I would have liked to have got a foreign manager. Someone who is not familiar with the Scottish expectation to fail. But more than happy welcome back Big Eck. I don't see this as a backward step. There are plenty of positives:

He actually wanted the job and might feel that he has unfinished business / a point to prove.

He took us within a whisker of qualification from the hardest group in history (arguably a bigger achievement than O' Niel taking NI to Euros).

He knows what the job's all about now.

He has a good win ratio with Scotland, maybe the best in a generation.

It's harsh to say that he's already failed when we were in the group of death.

His notable low point was losing away to Georgia and hopefully lessons have been learned (this is crucial as it's always one of these games where we stumble).

It looks like he's lining up Faddy for his team which would be good for morale.

I think he deserves a second chance (more so than Walter Smith).

Delusional.

But I'll indulge you - why do you think he deserves a second chance?

1 hour ago, Que Sera Sera said:

-2-0 defeat in Georgia

Excellent post Que Sera Sera !

I'm happy with McLeish (I thought we played better than you imply remembering we had the previous year' world cup winners, another semi finalist (Italy) and a quarterfinalist (Ukraine) and Georgia is a terrible place to go to play).

Under Strachan have seen more progress than  I have for many years. The players obviously loved playing for him and he picked ones that really played for the jersey. So very sad that fans such as several posting on here turned against him (some never wanted him and I have a feeling no matter what he achieved they would have hated him). Let's get this right - one lousy pass against England cost us the first win against them for years and a play off place and that was despite 1-the start of the campaign being marred by significant injuries to key players where we don't have the depth 2-us having a real lack of quality in key defence positions.

I think the call to get him in to replace an SFA blazer isn't as ridiculous as it sounds - he isn't a man to keep quiet and two the line and would fight for change.