Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 72 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

2 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

it makes you feel better though then go on, keep spouting the GJP and Hun bastard nonsense that Hibs.wank seems to revel in

You really are full of slavering sh1te. 

Yes, I have called him GJP because he jumped ship at Motherwell, Hibs and Scotland. However I don't do the whole Hun bastard thing.

I associate McLeish with Aberdeen more than Rangers - so sheepshagging bastard,  yes! 

McLeish is a snake and he'll be gone,  whoring himself to the next biggest bidder,  before you can say shalom. 

6 hours ago, tjm007 said:

Whataboutery, Snidery..

it's bigger than your love for the national team.

And if you really really really really hate Rangers - why would you want whatever happens or happened to them be an impact on the national team ? 

Surely you wouldn't want to give "them" the satisfaction ?

Support the Scotland team - whoever is in it or managing them.

You have no idea about my or anyone's love for the national team , and as usual with you lot it has to be about "Rangers" , the reason we're not doing well is that they're not winning titles . Your club wrecked Scottish football , and your new one doesn't have any players good enough to be in the National team , them's the facts . And most of your fans hate the Scottish National team anyway and its fans , so for getting behind the side maybe you should start closer to home with your England supporting friends

16 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Yes, I have called him GJP because he jumped ship at Motherwell, Hibs and Scotland. However I don't do the whole Hun bastard thing.

I associate McLeish with Aberdeen more than Rangers - so sheepshagging bastard,  yes! 

McLeish is a snake and he'll be gone,  whoring himself to the next biggest bidder,  before you can say shalom. 

What modern manager is different? 

Their behaviour is driven by the way the clubs sack them every 5 minutes. If that were different you'd get different behaviour from the managers. 

It's absolute insular nonsense to think any Manager would be different. 

9 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

You have no idea about my or anyone's love for the national team , and as usual with you lot it has to be about "Rangers" , the reason we're not doing well is that they're not winning titles . Your club wrecked Scottish football , and your new one doesn't have any players good enough to be in the National team , them's the facts . And most of your fans hate the Scottish National team anyway and its fans , so for getting behind the side maybe you should start closer to home with your England supporting friends

I was with you on our players not being good enough but the bit about the fans is utter shite. 

There are more Rangers fans in the Scotland fan base than any other club. 

3 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I don't have a problem with any Manager leaving the Scotland job as its not that well paid, comparatively to those down South and doesn't have any prestige any more. 

If they're offered a better deal then what's the problem? 

So if big Eck gets offered a better deal one game in

He can leave, no problemo

4 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

What modern manager is different? 

Their behaviour is driven by the way the clubs sack them every 5 minutes. If that were different you'd get different behaviour from the managers. 

It's absolute insular nonsense to think any Manager would be different. 

This is a very fair point.

In this new age of Huge salaries, McLeish wants a bit of that before retiring,  and he sees Scotland (it was Rangers last month!) as that avenue.  

He'll be gone if successful, and we'll be lumbered if not. 

I understand it, but McLeish makes it so obvious, and that's what makes it so galling. 

54 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Right I get the picture but at least he has taken the job in the first place like he did in 2007 so kudos to him for that. I prefer saving my angst for those that have turned their back on the Scotland job at every turn ie messrs Ferguson, Dalglish, Graham, Moyes etc etc etc.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

35 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I was with you on our players not being good enough but the bit about the fans is utter shite. 

There are more Rangers fans in the Scotland fan base than any other club. 

I'm not sure if that's really true, i've met precious few of them on countless Scotland trips , Celtic ones either to be fair but i reckon it's an urban myth how many there are these days . Maybe they don't want to admit it . And the hatred of the TA and Scotland from Ibrox is certainly not imagined 

19 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Right I get the picture but at least he has taken the job in the first place like he did in 2007 so kudos to him for that. I prefer saving my angst for those that have turned their back on the Scotland job at every turn ir messrs Ferguson, Dalglish, Graham, Moyes etc etc etc.

What age are you?

Ferguson oversaw Scotland in WC 1986, so your statement about him is blown out of the water by that plain fact.

Dalglish has never, ever, ever been offered the job despite having the perfect credentials for it on every aspect for the last 20 years. Why wasn't he offered it? Because Gordon Smith always was/is/will be a fanny that didn't fancy someone who has a better standing in the game on his patch. So it was given to Craig Levein instead. And now it's too late for Kenny. He doesn't need the challenge, the hassle or the money.

George Graham? Don't make the entire board laugh.

Moyes - he's like McLeish - likes to be touted for jobs but when push comes to shove what's best for David Moyes' ego and bank balance comes first. And where there are other options...................

Which leaves us with McLeish. Not in a job and therefore no compensation required. He's clearly not an upgrade on Strachan, who had at least found the right direction to take us in.

It's a shambles.

Edited by Barney Rubble

2 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

I'm not sure if that's really true, i've met precious few of them on countless Scotland trips , Celtic ones either to be fair but i reckon it's an urban myth how many there are these days . Maybe they don't want to admit it . And the hatred of the TA and Scotland from Ibrox is certainly not imagined 

Through experience and getting their fingers burnt, they tend to keep quiet. 

Out of 7 of our core group:

2x Celtic

2x Rangers 

1x Partick Thistle

1x Airdrie 

1x Hibs 

Me, as a Hibs fan and the Airdrie fan are more freely vocal about what teams we support when following Scotland. 

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

What age are you?

Ferguson oversaw Scotland in WC 1986, so your statement about him is blown out of the water by that plain fact.

Dalglish has never, ever, ever been offered the job despite having the perfect credentials for it on every aspect for the last 20 years. Why wasn't he offered it? Because Gordon Smith always was/is/will be a fanny that didn't fancy someone who has a better standing in the game on his patch. And now it's too late for Kenny. He doesn't need the challenge, the hassle or the money.

George Graham? Don't make the entire board laugh.

Moyes - he's like McLeish - likes to be touted for jobs but when push comes to shove what's best for David Moyes' ego an bank balance comes first. And where there are other options...................

Which leaves us with McLeish. Not in a job and therefore no compensation required. he's clearly not an upgrade on Strachan, who had at least found the right direction to take us in.

It's a shambles.

Oh FFS man Ferguson was assistant to Jock Stein and after he was left in the job he saw us through the 86 World Cup Finals then pissed off to United and whenever the post has come up - no sooner has the manager backed his bags at Hampden than he has been in the press ruling himself out. Even a non-managerial role at United means more to him.

Dalglish is another who has been like lightening to rule himself out when the job has been available. Evidently, he or Fergie have never applied for it as it would have been a clear shoo in.

Yes there was a time when Graham was successful you know at Arsenal and another that has evidently not applied or shown an interest in years gone by.

Moyes again has been linked in the past and this time but it is the same old, same old now is not the time pish.

Ferguson and Dalglish could have had that job anytime it has come up for grabs since 1986 but have turned their back on it. I hold more contempt for them than someone who has tried (and failed) or destined to fail. At least they gave it a go.

11 hours ago, Brummie Hibs said:

I predict 4 games then he'll be off to Rangers in the summer. He cannot be trusted!

Costa Rica - Win
Hungary - Win
Peru - Draw
Mexico - Loss

Rangers finish 4th, Murty away, McLeish in.

Pish. Rangers wouldn’t want him. They’ve had months to approach him. Why would they do it after 4 friendly results? 

He’ll only start to get job offers if he’s a success with Scotland and either gets us to Euro 2020 or gets within a baw hair of doing so. 

1 minute ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Through experience and getting their fingers burnt, they tend to keep quiet. 

Out of 7 of our core group:

2x Celtic

2x Rangers 

1x Partick Thistle

1x Airdrie 

1x Hibs 

Me, as a Hibs fan and the Airdrie fan are more freely vocal about what teams we support when following Scotland. 

Aye, agree with that. Club football seems to have come into it a lot more in the last couple of years - which is a bit sad.

Our group over the last 20 years (home and away) - 4 Rangers, 2 Celtic , 2 Aberdeen, 1 Queens Park, 1 Hearts, 1 Man United (long story with him !)

I think he'll do a better job than strachan. we scored a fair few goals from set pieces in the 2007 campaign and if he can bring this back then who knows.....a decent start and some momentum is imperative. Hope he fuck8ng has a great run at it.........still not renewing with ssc. 

4 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I don't have a problem with any Manager leaving the Scotland job as its not that well paid, comparatively to those down South and doesn't have any prestige any more. 

If they're offered a better deal then what's the problem? 

I do however have a problem with appointing someone who has had the job and failed. The continual recycling of the usual suspects is depressing. 

What we needed was an inventive appointment, not a repeat. 

I wouldn't have gone for Stevie Clarke either, at least not until he's had another season and a half as successful as this first half has been. No flash in the pan temporary geniuses please. 

Having said that I can't think of a coach that would take the job that would excite me either. 🤔

How did he fail? Were you expecting us to qualify from that group? 

Dalglish may have been interested in taking the job on anytime 2000-2012, but a financial deal could not be struck - Joe Jordan also put himself forward so many times over the same years and was constantly overlooked, and I'd still take him today over McLeish.

Ferguson has never been a serious option after 1993.

4 hours ago, Mox said:

In what dimension did we play decent football under McLeish? He's a park the bus, two banks of four, hope for the best kind of manager. The Ukraine performance I'll give you, we were great that day, the rest of the time it was grim from start to finish.

We were good against Italy at Hampden if I remember correctly. It was a few years back right enough and my memory is shite  but it was a pretty good performance against a good team and we should have got something out of the game. 

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

Dalglish may have been interested in taking the job on anytime 2000-2012, but a financial deal could not be struck - Joe Jordan also put himself forward so many times over the same years and was constantly overlooked, and I'd still take him today over McLeish.

Ferguson has never been a serious option after 1993.

This column by Kenny says it all:-

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/sfa-are-kidding-themselves-on-but-if-they-want-me-as-manager-ill-tell-them-not-anyone-else/

Presumably he did not apply this time either then.

Ferguson could have had the job anytime he wanted. Most notably after the 1986 World Cup but he jacked it in for the United job. No doubt he could have had the job anytime he wanted it but no. Sorry but people who don't want it are worse than people that do. Good shout about Jordan.

14 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

We were good against Italy at Hampden if I remember correctly. It was a few years back right enough and my memory is shite  but it was a pretty good performance against a good team and we should have got something out of the game. 

Faddy missed an almost open goal that would have put us in front

We were good every game apart from Georgia

Edited by Bino's

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

Your memory is being selective.

It was a good performance, but one that was full of holes.

Italy did what THEY had to do in that game, ably aided by Davie Weir handing Luca Toni the initiative within a minute. After that they ran the show, and were denied a legitimate second goal from Di Natale. We got a dodgy equaliser from Ferguson, and then the supposed chance that Faddy missed which has grown arms and legs and ten years on has become a sitter.

It wasn't.

And let's draw a veil over the last couple of minutes, where Kris Boyd made no difference at all at any end of the park.

9 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Ferguson could have had the job anytime he wanted. Most notably after the 1986 World Cup but he jacked it in for the United job. 

No he went back to managing Aberdeen.

The squad were barely back home from Mexico when Andy Roxburgh was appointed manager. Seemed like an odd call but what was unknown at the time was that Jock Stein had earmarked Roxy as his successor.

5 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Italy did what THEY had to do in that game, ably aided by Davie Weir handing Luca Toni the initiative within a minute. After that they ran the show, and were denied a legitimate second goal from Di Natale. We got a dodgy equaliser from Ferguson, and then the supposed chance that Faddy missed which has grown arms and legs and ten years on has become a sitter.

It wasn't.

And let's draw a veil over the last couple of minutes, where Kris Boyd made no difference at all at any end of the park.

They were the world champions

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

It wasn't.

Judge for yourselves:-