Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 71 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

4 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43087185

"I hope that the Tartan Army can come to, I wouldn't say forgive me, but I hope they can come round and say, 'McLeish is right, he is the man for the job'.

"A lot of people would say, 'he left us so he's persona non grata' but I'm here and I'm here to do the business."

It's not difficult to read that quote and come to the conclusion that he did walk out on us (or at least didn't want to remain if offered a new contract). It's not a 100% confession of guilt, but he doesn't do anything to deny it.

"If offered a new contract"

he wasn't offered a new contract  

I think this more clarifies tha McLeish departure last time around:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7114028.stm

End of the day now, in any case, is that we need to look to the future not the past. All the recriminationations and teeth-gnashing from disenchanted fans ain't going to change a thing. All we can do is wish him all the best.

5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

"If offered a new contract"

he wasn't offered a new contract  

So why doesn't he just come and say that and put this to bed? Coming out with quotes like "I hope that the Tartan Army can come to, I wouldn't say forgive me" only exacerbates the myth.

He should just come and say that last time be wanted to stay, but since he wasn't offered a contract then he couldn't stay.

Unless the reason he wasn't offered a contract was because he told the SFA not to bother because he didn't want to stay anyway - so technically he still wasn't '...offered a contract...'? 

15 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43087185

"I hope that the Tartan Army can come to, I wouldn't say forgive me, but I hope they can come round and say, 'McLeish is right, he is the man for the job'.

"A lot of people would say, 'he left us so he's persona non grata' but I'm here and I'm here to do the business."

It's not difficult to read that quote and come to the conclusion that he did walk out on us (or at least didn't want to remain if offered a new contract). It's not a 100% confession of guilt, but he doesn't do anything to deny it.

Aye, if that's how you choose to interpret it.

Just now, Brummie Hibs said:

So why doesn't he just come and say that and put this to bed? Coming out with quotes like "I hope that the Tartan Army can come to, I wouldn't say forgive me" only exacerbates the myth.

He should just come and say that last time be wanted to stay, but since he wasn't offered a contract then he couldn't stay.

Unless the reason he wasn't offered a contract was because he told the SFA not to bother because he didn't want to stay anyway - so technically he still wasn't '...offered a contract...'? 

Read the link I posted above. It suggests he wasn't offered a new contract but it still had over a year to run. Gordon Smith is quoted (I think) as saying they were about to offer him a new improved contract prior to him leaving.

Do you really think he's going to come out and start digging up dirt with his new employers over something a decade ago?

He knows he has a fight on his hands to try and win the small minded idiots who claim to support Scotland around so he has to make the right noises and that starts with the so called fans 

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

Read the link I posted above. It suggests he wasn't offered a new contract but it still had over a year to run. Gordon Smith is quoted (I think) as saying they were about to offer him a new improved contract prior to him leaving.

Cool - so to conclude, no matter which we want to wash this, he walked away from us - FACT!!

I don't have a problem with any Manager leaving the Scotland job as its not that well paid, comparatively to those down South and doesn't have any prestige any more. 

If they're offered a better deal then what's the problem? 

I do however have a problem with appointing someone who has had the job and failed. The continual recycling of the usual suspects is depressing. 

What we needed was an inventive appointment, not a repeat. 

I wouldn't have gone for Stevie Clarke either, at least not until he's had another season and a half as successful as this first half has been. No flash in the pan temporary geniuses please. 

Having said that I can't think of a coach that would take the job that would excite me either. 🤔

2 minutes ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Cool - so to conclude, no matter which we want to wash this, he walked away from us - FACT!!

Still upset that he left us for Rangers?

Dont give me the "I'll be here for as long as you want me" fanny. He said that on first division trophy day 1998 when Aberdeen were sniffing about. He left in December 2001, a good three and a half years later

If it makes you feel better though then go on, keep spouting the GJP and Hun bastard nonsense that Hibs.wank seems to revel in

4 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Do you really think he's going to come out and start digging up dirt with his new employers over something a decade ago?

He knows he has a fight on his hands to try and win the small minded idiots who claim to support Scotland around so he has to make the right noises and that starts with the so called fans 

Ok , you win superfan of the year 🙄

You cant accuse people of being small minded just because they are unhappy that an ex manager has been reappointed, that makes you just as small minded. 

13 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Ok , you win superfan of the year 🙄

You cant accuse people of being small minded just because they are unhappy that an ex manager has been reappointed, that makes you just as small minded. 

They are small minded because they can't see past his Rangers history, they are using his departure last time to smokescreen it. I've said before you could argue around the lack of uproar last time but Rangers are seen very differently today than they were a decade ago

Don't start the whole superfan nonsense, it's cringeworthy. I don't claim to be any superfan, I never have and never will. I see it for what it is, and it is what it is. You can either mump and moan and not turn up or just embrace it and get on with things and see how we go

Yes the SFA is corrupt and flawed, no matter who the CEO is it won't make any difference though as they are only a buffer. People should be directing their concerns at their individual clubs board. However when it gets right down to the crunch they will be less than interested as they do not want to rock the boat and are in it for personal gain and do not want to jeopardise any little privileges they have

If you don't have a club board to raise your concerns with then you're for the watching

Edited by DoonTheSlope

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

The atmosphere at Ukraine , Lithuania, France Away and Italy made you feel like we could have beaten anyone under him.  It was even decent football we were watching too

In what dimension did we play decent football under McLeish? He's a park the bus, two banks of four, hope for the best kind of manager. The Ukraine performance I'll give you, we were great that day, the rest of the time it was grim from start to finish.

12 minutes ago, Mox said:

In what dimension did we play decent football under McLeish? He's a park the bus, two banks of four, hope for the best kind of manager. The Ukraine performance I'll give you, we were great that day, the rest of the time it was grim from start to finish.

I take it you were delighted when he left then?

23 minutes ago, Mox said:

Lithuania at home, second half against Italy. France was always going to be a park the bus game, considering it was in their back yard

You don't always win a game just by attacking. It's a skill to be able to defend comfortably and we done that admirably at times

I must admit I'm struggling to remember the Ukraine game being as easy as some are making out. First half we were brilliant but when it went 2-1 there was a point in the second half where most people around me sort of agreed that the next goal would determine the winner, if they made it 2-2 there was only likely to be one winner but we defended well and went up against the run of play and got the winner

Journalist in the Mail says that Rod Pettrie was the driving force behind McLeish getting the job . He promised to support a club friendly Chief Executive in return .  What a way to appoint a manager !

I listened to the press conference , the guy MacRae sounded half senile ,a total embarrassment. 

41 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

They are small minded because they can't see past his Rangers history, they are using his departure last time to smokescreen it. I've said before you could argue around the lack of uproar last time but Rangers are seen very differently today than they were a decade ago

Don't start the whole superfan nonsense, it's cringeworthy. I don't claim to be any superfan, I never have and never will. I see it for what it is, and it is what it is. You can either mump and moan and not turn up or just embrace it and get on with things and see how we go

Yes the SFA is corrupt and flawed, no matter who the CEO is it won't make any difference though as they are only a buffer. People should be directing their concerns at their individual clubs board. However when it gets right down to the crunch they will be less than interested as they do not want to rock the boat and are in it for personal gain and do not want to jeopardise any little privileges they have

If you don't have a club board to raise your concerns with then you're for the watching

I bow to your knowledge on the Rangers thing, I couldnt pin a club on some of the posters , I dont venture into the club section too often as I dont have a club.

‘For the watching’  I believe is the category I fall into 🙂

However I dont imagine all the posters that are aggrieved with McLeish’s ‘betrayal’ have a Rangers agenda.  I have no problem with him leaving as he finished the campaign, however if Walter Smith had been appointed I have to be honest and say I would have been a bit pissed off due to the way he left. I dont have a Rangers agenda and I dont think I am small minded, naively patriotic perhaps. 

Re the superfan , that was just a joke,  I wasnt actually being serious. In the same way I didnt actually think you were a happy clapper. I do read this board. I rarely direct serious digs at people on here , I find you quite funny.  

I admire your positivity with this, I am normally a positive  person myself , but this is testing me. It doesnt however make someone less of a fan just because they are hacked off . 

2 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I bow to your knowledge on the Rangers thing, I couldnt pin a club on some of the posters , I dont venture into the club section too often as I dont have a club.

‘For the watching’  I believe is the category I fall into 🙂

However I dont imagine all the posters that are aggrieved with McLeish’s ‘betrayal’ have a Rangers agenda.  I have no problem with him leaving as he finished the campaign, however if Walter Smith had been appointed I have to be honest and say I would have been a bit pissed off due to the way he left. I dont have a Rangers agenda and I dont think I am small minded, naively patriotic perhaps. 

Re the superfan , that was just a joke,  I wasnt actually being serious. In the same way I didnt actually think you were a happy clapper. I do read this board. I rarely direct serious digs at people on here , I find you quite funny.  

I admire your positivity with this, I am normally a positive  person myself , but this is testing me. It doesnt however make someone less of a fan just because they are hacked off . 

😘😘😘 <O> thats a cuddle emoji btw 

57 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Journalist in the Mail says that Rod Pettrie was the driving force behind McLeish getting the job . He promised to support a club friendly Chief Executive in return .  What a way to appoint a manager !

I listened to the press conference , the guy MacRae sounded half senile ,a total embarrassment. 

Yeah, at one point (1.35) he talks about when he was involved in the 1888/89 season! 😁

Edited by todd
Addition