Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 69 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

Just now, Brummie Hibs said:

No, definitely a post full of sh!ite. Yup...pretty sure about that one!

The irony of posts calling Eck a "cheat" whilst suggesting  Klinsmann as manager will probably pass you by then old chap.

1 minute ago, Brummie Hibs said:

Your powers of persuasion are weak.

Still full of sh!te!

Am not aiming to persuade.

Am suggesting that there is a large % of the national support who cannot countenance players and managers because of their links to certain clubs. 

For Scotland to succeed as many fans as possible need to get over that and soon.

Booing and boycotts have to stop.

Equal cheers for goals from Cummings and Griffiths.

Some fans need to grow up.

2 minutes ago, tjm007 said:

Am not aiming to persuade.

Am suggesting that there is a large % of the national support who cannot countenance players and managers because of their links to certain clubs. 

For Scotland to succeed as many fans as possible need to get over that and soon.

Booing and boycotts have to stop.

Equal cheers for goals from Cummings and Griffiths.

Some fans need to grow up.

Cummings ? Has he been quoted ?

2 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

Cummings ? Has he been quoted ?

When he's picked - will he be booed like Ryan Jack was ?

Do you think there is a problem with the support for certain players for certain clubs ?

Do you think it is healthy ?

Do you think the team would benefit from as wide a support as possible ?

Edited by tjm007

7 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

What's he , or indeed Ryan Jack done to merit being picked for Scotland ? 

Indulge me.

JC scores 30 goals next season and earns a call up.

He scores for Scotland.

Will you cheer loudly, boo or clap politely whilst whispering "hun b*****d" under your breath ?

Only one of these is healthy.

1 hour ago, dipped flake said:

well I for one won't be back at Hampden. This decision has just confirmed my view of the SFA as dinosaurs with not a clue. Can't get one pensioner who dumped Scotland so get the next one who dumped Scotland. Pathetic and sad in equal measure. I can't believe how my feelings for the national team have changed so much over the last few years, and it is nothing to do with results.

:wave: 

See ya. You won't be missed

11 minutes ago, tjm007 said:

Indulge me.

JC scores 30 goals next season and earns a call up.

He scores for Scotland.

Will you cheer loudly, boo or clap politely whilst whispering "hun b*****d" under your breath ?

Only one of these is healthy.

i cheer every Scotland goal , it's a pity the majority of supporters of some clubs don't , or indeed even want Scotland to win . As for Cummings , it's a moot point since the guy isn't good enough , nor is Ryan Jack , in spite of who they play for and their sense of entitlement / grievance 

44 minutes ago, tjm007 said:

Unsurprising response to McLeish being reappointed.

In essence most of the heat (and not much light) is 99% do with which club he managed - and some "fans" hate that club more than they love Scotland or even the club they support.

His record with Scotland is exceptional - ok it's a small sample but better than many other small samples.

Get behind him and the team - or don't. But don't invent reasons to hide your own prejudices.

Great post. This is my take on it too. You could argue about why there wasn't the uproar last time he was appointed not long after he left Rangers, but, the feeling towards rangers today is a whole world of a difference from what the feeling towards Rangers was 11 years ago, brought on by themselves I must add 

As for him walking out on Scotland in the past, that's a TAMB myth that's grown arms and legs over the years. His contract expired as soon as we were eliminated from Euro 2008, whether it was at the end of qualifying or whether it was at the tournament finals. He had nothing to walk out on. Why are people finding this so hard to comprehend 

However, for arguments sake, if he did walk out midway through a contract, which he didn't, he still went on to a multi million pound contract, can anyone on here say they would have turned that down? If you say yes then you are a liar 

1 minute ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Great post. This is my take on it too. You could argue about why there wasn't the uproar last time he was appointed not long after he left Rangers, but, the feeling towards rangers today is a whole world of a difference from what the feeling towards Rangers was 11 years ago, brought on by themselves I must add 

As for him walking out on Scotland in the past, that's a TAMB myth that's grown arms and legs over the years. His contract expired as soon as we were eliminated from Euro 2008, whether it was at the end of qualifying or whether it was at the tournament finals. He had nothing to walk out on. Why are people finding this so hard to comprehend 

However, for arguments sake, if he did walk out midway through a contract, which he didn't, he still went on to a multi million pound contract, can anyone on here say they would have turned that down? If you say yes then you are a liar 

And to add it seems grossly like double standards. Fans paint McLeish as a judas for supposedly walking out on his country but many of those same fans were wanting Michael O'Neill to do exactly the same thing and would have had no issue with O'Neill.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

And to add it seems grossly like double standards. Fans paint McLeish as a judas for supposedly walking out on his country but many of those same fans were wanting Michael O'Neill to do exactly the same thing and would have had no issue with O'Neill.

Exactly

3 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Think more people have a problem with him not being good enough , i CGAF what happened years back but it seems McLeish is getting the gig due to being the last man standing , and will fit neatly into the old boy network of no change , rather than any recent managerial success . No change really isn't what we need , given our failure to qualify for >20 years 

1 minute ago, tattiescone69 said:

Think more people have a problem with him not being good enough , i CGAF what happened years back but it seems McLeish is getting the gig due to being the last man standing , and will fit neatly into the old boy network of no change , rather than any recent managerial success . No change really isn't what we need , given our failure to qualify for >20 years 

As I have pointed out fans were angry at him perceived to have walked out (not so was out of contract and SFA dragged their heels). Why were they angry if he wasn't doing a very good job? Answer he was doing a very good job. Same again and we can look forward with a bit of hope.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

As I have pointed out fans were angry at him perceived to have walked out (not so was out of contract and SFA dragged their heels). Why were they angry if he wasn't doing a very good job? Answer he was doing a very good job. Same again and we can look forward with a bit of hope.

If he's successful great , but that was a while back his star has waned quite a lot since then , he now looks like a desperate appointment from an increasingly out of touch SFA

Just now, tattiescone69 said:

If he's successful great , but that was a while back his star has waned quite a lot since then , he now looks like a desperate appointment from an increasingly out of touch SFA

Of course there is no guarantee of success - there never is in football. But people the fans were after ruled themselves out ie Clarke and Moyes. The job is a poisoned chalice and has lost all of its prestige - that is a fact. Hench Big Jock was the last real all-time great manager to take the job and that was over 30 years ago. The wages also are shite narrowing down the possible candidates further so it leaves our options seriously limited.

I was fairly 'meh' as to whether McLeish got the job, but tbh, the last time he was in charge was when I had real excitement for the national team, which he was only a couple of minutes of having a chance of automatic qualification.  SInce then it has been a downward spiral of mass (but increasingly not surprising) disappointment.  Foreigners being mentioned would not have guaranteed success (how well really does Klinsmann and Bilic know Scottish football) and the other serious Scots mentioned are not interested

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

11 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

I was fairly 'meh' as to whether McLeish got the job, but tbh, the last time he was in charge was when I had real excitement for the national team, which he was only a couple of minutes of having a chance of automatic qualification.  SInce then it has been a downward spiral of mass (but increasingly not surprising) disappointment.  

Likewise with me. If he can reproduce that feelgood factor and would say we have slightly better players now then who knows? Supporters should do what the term suggests....SUPPORT. 

Edited by Caledonian Craig

There are a million things wrong wit

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Likewise with me. If he can reproduce that feelgood factor and would say we have slightly better players now then who knows? Supports should do what the term suggests....SUPPORT. 

^^^ this. As far as the national team is concerned, fans need to strive to park any baggage they have and make Scotland great again #MSGA 

Pretending there isn't a problem isn't going to cure it.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Give him a chance is what most are saying, nobody is happy but there’s no candidate out there who would make everyone happy. There’s is no defined profile for the Scotland managers job, every manager since the 60s has had some sort of negative behind them or a sacking. 

The more I think about it, the more I feel I was wrong to judge Mcliesh.

Positives

deal with big egos at rangers and in the EPL, won trophies, I forgot he managed Birmingham to a trophy, he’s managed in a pressure job despite that job being a cheque book job. Did reasonably well at Motherwell and hibs. His experience as a player cannot and should not be questioned. He kept a villa side up, who were destined for the championship 

Negatives

lack of recent jobs, poor spells in Belgium and somewhere else, I forget where, I think it’s was Egypt.

hes the boss now so we give him a chance. Should we perform well in the upcoming friendlies and win our nations league matches, we won’t give a fuck whether Mcliesh has managed recently.

Kinda where i am tbh. His recent TV appearances have me very concerned though. He's been talking absolute nonsense on every occasion. 

39 minutes ago, tattiescone69 said:

i cheer every Scotland goal , it's a pity the majority of supporters of some clubs don't , or indeed even want Scotland to win . As for Cummings , it's a moot point since the guy isn't good enough , nor is Ryan Jack , in spite of who they play for and their sense of entitlement / grievance 

A prime fillet steak example of what is undermining the national side.

Caveats, digs, snidery, whataboutery and  narrow mindedness....

Please give every player in dark blue unconditional love brother - give peace a chance.