Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 68 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Why are people happy with us getting a guy who has done nothing of note for years? 

We get all we deserve. A pathetic nation of happy clappers.

International management is a straightforward job, just pick the right team every couple of months and organise them as well as can be done over a few days.

How much have the FA spunked on top rated management personel over the years with little reward?

The ability and attitude of the available players is more important to the team's success than who the manager is.

1 hour ago, macy37 said:

Why are people happy with us getting a guy who has done nothing of note for years? 

We get all we deserve. A pathetic nation of happy clappers.

Give him a chance is what most are saying, nobody is happy but there’s no candidate out there who would make everyone happy. There’s is no defined profile for the Scotland managers job, every manager since the 60s has had some sort of negative behind them or a sacking. 

The more I think about it, the more I feel I was wrong to judge Mcliesh.

Positives

deal with big egos at rangers and in the EPL, won trophies, I forgot he managed Birmingham to a trophy, he’s managed in a pressure job despite that job being a cheque book job. Did reasonably well at Motherwell and hibs. His experience as a player cannot and should not be questioned. He kept a villa side up, who were destined for the championship 

Negatives

lack of recent jobs, poor spells in Belgium and somewhere else, I forget where, I think it’s was Egypt.

hes the boss now so we give him a chance. Should we perform well in the upcoming friendlies and win our nations league matches, we won’t give a fuck whether Mcliesh has managed recently.

6 minutes ago, Doric said:

When can we expect boycott 2? 

I wont be boycotting but I will be buying the tickets game by game, and not as a package as I have done for as long as I can remember.  

I cannot see this appointment exciting anyone except the most optimistic  fans,  McLeish will need to get off to a flying start if he is to bring back many of the fans disillusioned over the past few years . 

8 hours ago, Hendricks said:

For me this is a watershed moment and I strongly believe there will be many (overly) loyal supporters that will feel the same. It’s just such a staggeringly underwhelming and lazy appointment and I can’t get behind it whatsoever right now. They can’t see beyond the end of their own snouts, probably because they are so deep in the ****ing trough!

I’m sickened by their lack of vision and complete disregard for a country jam packed with football fanatics. Instead of embracing the amazing backing they get they show no ambition, no desire to change the status quo and end up with total mediocrity once again. Names like Bilic or Klinnsmann might have proven beyond us for numerous reasons but where is the ingenuity or inspiration to go out and get a big name? Don’t take no for an answer! Get Scottish Power, Standard Life or Aegon to sponsor a coach of that caliber! Christ call Irn Bru or Diageo and have them do it, God knows they’ve made plenty in sales and free advertising from Scotland’s fan base and statistically if we made a major tournament their sales go through the roof. But nobody gives a **** about us actually being the best we can be, we just keep doing the same thing like Groundhog Day! Horrendous. Rant over :laugh:

Let’s say we got big name Klinsmann. He’d take the best part of a year working out what players we have and what they can do and there’s no evidence that he’d be any better than the Scottish candidates. What we need is a safe pair of hands who knows the players, because we’re in a situation where our playing squad is improving and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. We will qualify soon because we are almost there. The Celtic boys haven’t had a full campaign, our centre back options are improving and at youth level we’ve got better prospects than we’ve had for decades. We just need a bit more patience and a slice of luck. McLeish will be fine, although I’d have preferred Clarke. We don’t need a Klinsmann, as it would risk halting the incremental progress of the last 12 months.

33 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

International management is a straightforward job, just pick the right team every couple of months and organise them as well as can be done over a few days.

How much have the FA spunked on top rated management personel over the years with little reward?

The ability and attitude of the available players is more important to the team's success than who the manager is.

Where do you even start with this utter guff?

31 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Give him a chance is what most are saying, nobody is happy but there’s no candidate out there who would make everyone happy. There’s is no defined profile for the Scotland managers job, every manager since the 60s has had some sort of negative behind them or a sacking. 

Positives

deal with big egos at rangers and in the EPL, won trophies, I forgot he managed Birmingham to a trophy, he’s managed in a pressure job despite that job being a cheque book job. Did reasonably well at Motherwell and hibs. His experience as a player cannot and should not be questioned. He kept a villa side up, who were destined for the championship 

Negatives

lack of recent jobs, poor spells in Belgium and somewhere else, I forget where, I think it’s was Egypt.

hes the boss now so we give him a chance. Should we perform well in the upcoming friendlies and win our nations league matches, we won’t give a fuck whether Mcliesh has managed recently.

Hardly poor, won over half his games in charge but failed to make CL places, a competition Gent have only been in once in the past 10 years!!

1 minute ago, shaggycoo said:

Hardly poor, won over half his games in charge but failed to make CL places, a competition Gent have only been in once in the past 10 years!!

It’s all relative, they didn’t keep him on, did they?

im not really sure why you picked out that part of my post. It was part of a wider point which was to give the guy a chance.

15 hours ago, dan cake said:

Levein isn't the best yardstick, he's never won anything as a manager or player

Levein got the Scotland job. Think it's reasonable for anyone to point to him if they are never considered an option by the SFA

Hopefully he can deliver the same kind of win rate he did last time :P

Still feel that it's not much of a change from Strachan and that we well have just kept Strachan if we were going to end up where we are now.

Hopefully he can use the friendlies to get his team nailed down to make sure we win our Nations Cup group.

2 hours ago, Doric said:

When can we expect boycott 2? 

well I for one won't be back at Hampden. This decision has just confirmed my view of the SFA as dinosaurs with not a clue. Can't get one pensioner who dumped Scotland so get the next one who dumped Scotland. Pathetic and sad in equal measure. I can't believe how my feelings for the national team have changed so much over the last few years, and it is nothing to do with results.

A total reality check is needed, the most this job pays is 750,000 which was the reported salary that O'Neil was offered, McLeish probably wont be on that. 

Its utterly laughable that people are suggesting we should've went for Billic and Klinsman, these guys have worked in jobs paying 10 times as much.

I'm not excited about this appointment but anyone who thinks we'd be better off or as well as sticking with Strachan has gone nuts in my opinion. I'd trust McLeish to make us tighter at the back than Strachan has over time which although negative is the only way we'll qualify.

2 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Completely agree, an international coach doesn't get enough time with the players to be as influential as he is at club level. Happy to save the money (assuming we are).

He just needs to pick half the Celtic team, Robertson and whoever else is in form. A bit of planning for the future during friendlies. If he can crack the tierney/Robertson combo and get the most out of those two then he'll have done well. And actually find a centre half pairing that are going to do the job for us for years to come. Maybe there is a bit of work...but not much and the pace is slow.

My advice to McLeish would be to give the fans what they want with selections and make the obvious choices. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Positives

Negatives

Seems fair enough.

My big worry is he is not in a good way ie he sounds/looks strung out. All the experience in the world counts for nothing when you are gubbed. 

Hopefully that's not the case though and should get a sense today from the press conference whether he is feeling sharp or not.

The most hilarious thing about all of this is that after every miserable, repetitive and utterly futile campaign, the majority come on here talking about how we need a revolution, a root and branch review of how Scottish football must change from top bottom.

The time then comes for a new manager, we appoint a dinosaur, a failure, a cheat, someone who wouldn't have a clue about modern football or how set teams up to be creative and dominant. The same people that were calling for a revolution are now applauding a 'safe pair hands' someone who will 'steady the ship' like this is something to take solace in when the opposite is true.

It's little wonder the SFA ride roughshod over fans when people lap this drivel up. We've been doing the same thing over and over again for 20 years and expecting a different result everyone. I wasn't renewing anyway and I'll support the team but we will achieve nothing with this idiot in charge and when it does go tits up I'll revel in it, no doubt about it.

11 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Let's be honest whoever is the manager who eventually gets Scotland back to a major finals will become a legend of Scottish football.

I disagree with this actually. If we qualify for the Euros I'll be expecting us to progress to the knockout phase. With an easy structure and at least two games at hampdw there won't be a better opportunity.

If we qualify and fail to progress then to me the manager (whoever it is) will have failed and will be some way short of a legend in my eyes.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:05 AM, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Sorry Squirellthumper, but think you will agree Clark is the standout candidate left.

Big Eck has had his day , wasn't very good even at his peak , now he can't even get a job in Qatar or Mexico .

What makes you think he was ever a candidate?

Clark has been quoted in the press in interviews that now is not the time as has Moyes so lets rule them out of the equation. Add to it the harsh fact that the job itself has lost its appeal greatly since we stopped qualifying for tournaments. Forget WHO you want as manager and it is a matter of who you can get who is invariably far, far different from who you want. Face it - the last legendary Scot to manage Scotland was thirty years ago - Jock Stein. The job just does not appeal anymore.

Unsurprising response to McLeish being reappointed.

In essence most of the heat (and not much light) is 99% do with which club he managed - and some "fans" hate that club more than they love Scotland or even the club they support.

His record with Scotland is exceptional - ok it's a small sample but better than many other small samples.

Get behind him and the team - or don't. But don't invent reasons to hide your own prejudices.

Edited by tjm007

As I said yesterday the reasons people are against him don't add up. Those saying he isn't up to the job I disagree. People are still angry with him from last spell when he left and they are/were angry because they felt they were heading places. That says he did a good job and hopefully can do so again. Not sure but if I remember correctly Scotland's win in Paris ranked very high on best moments for Scotland fans. Hmm who was the manager that night?

2 minutes ago, tjm007 said:

Unsurprising response to McLeish being reappointed.

In essence most of the heat (an not much light) is 99% do with which club he managed - and some "fans" hate that club more than they love Scotland or even the club they support.

His record with Scotland is exceptional - ok it's a small sample but better than many other small samples.

Get behind him and the team - or don't. But don't invent reasons to hide your own prejudices.

A post which is full of sh!te