Next Scotland Manager ? - Page 66 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Scotland Manager ?

McExpat

As expected at the start, it would be an uninspired and lazy appointment. Classic Scottish FA.

Anyway I wish Alex McLeish the best of luck. He needs it. His task is simple - qualify or get tae. Nothing less.

As for the Scottish FA, the top level of it needs a drastic reform with far more executive power and far less committee structured decision making. Equally the clubs have to give up some power. Their lack of ability to think beyond their own interests for the greater good sees us where we are now.

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:

As expected at the start, it would be an uninspired and lazy appointment. Classic Scottish FA.

Anyway I wish Alex McLeish the best of luck. He needs it. His task is simple - qualify or get tae. Nothing less.

As for the Scottish FA, the top level of it needs a drastic reform with far more executive power and far less committee structured decision making. Equally the clubs have to give up some power. Their lack of ability to think beyond their own interests for the greater good sees us where we are now.

Which manager appointments have the SFA previously made which would be classed as uninspired and lazy?

Some folk on here need to have a word with themselves.

I don’t think McLeish was many people’s first choice but the way people are going on you’d think we’d just appointed Levein or Burley again. 

I’m not saying people should shouldn’t have their say but calling the guy a ‘cunt’ or saying you won’t go to Scotland games anymore because McLeish is now the manager is just pathetic. 

Some people on here seem to think that the Scotland job is still one of the top jobs in world football and we should be beating the likes of Klinsmann or Bilic off with a shitty stick. Anyone who thinks that really does know fuck all about football. 

Edited by Texas Pete

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think McLeish was many people’s first choice but the way people are going on you’d think we’d just appointed Levein or Burley again. 

I’m not saying people should shouldn’t have their say but calling the guy a ‘cunt’ or saying you won’t go to Scotland games anymore because McLeish is now the manager is just pathetic. 

Some people on here seem to think that the Scotland job is still one of the top jobs in world football and we should be beating the likes of Klinsmann or Bilic off with a shitty stick really do know fuck all about football. 

This. Could have been a lot worse in the circumstances we are in. Will be interesting to see how he gets on with players and the next set of friendlies.

35 minutes ago, scottincarlisle said:

Last time I heard him on radio I thought he was drunk....he maybe was. :beer2:

Hitting the bevvy apparently. Or it may be dementia setting in.

Completely uninspired appointment by Petrie. On the plus side if this no-voting prick fails (again) then it's another dagger into the blazers. 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Some people on here seem to think that the Scotland job is still one of the top jobs in world football and we should be beating the likes of Klinsmann or Bilic off with a shitty stick. Anyone who thinks that really does know fuck all about football. 

If Celtic or rangers appointed an ex manager who walked out on them, the board would be lucky to not get lynched

Can understand the anger but I'm happy to see how it goes. McLeish does have a good CV and should get us organised which we need against stuffy Albania and Israel

Edited by Bino's

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Why shouldn't we show ambition to get a Bilic or an Olsen or a Koeman (before he took up his new job)?

Our lazy board likely never approached them. While we can't necessarily offer them a massive basic wage we can make that up by loading bonuses for qualification. If you don't ask you don't get.

Appointing Scottish managers has failed for 20 years. I hope he does well but given who has appointed him I won't hold my breath.

McLeish was great 11 years ago but he's been out of work recently for a reason.

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

If Celtic or rangers appointed an ex manager who walked out on them, the board would be lucky to not get lunched

Can understand the anger but I'm happy to see how it goes. McLeish does have a good CV and should get us organised which we need against stuffy Albania and Israel

He didn’t really walk out on Scotland. He just didn’t renew his contract and moved on to another job. Having said that, I do understand why people felt he let them down by not staying with us. 

Some folk are up in arms because they don’t think he’s a good enough manager though. Let’s give the guy a chance before we crucify him. 

I fancy us to win our Nations League group and if we qualify for Euro 2020 through the playoffs or qualifiers everyone who is slagging McLeish now will be raving about him. 

I dont care what McLeish’s political views are nor do I hold any grudges about him leaving last time, at least he seen out the campaign,  unlike  Smith. 

Unfortunately though, like others on here, I see this as a sideways move, the only difference being I cannot see McLeish being as pig headed as Strachan. 

Being disappointed in this appointment does not nake you a miserable bastard, it  means you dont want to settle for second best, there is nothing wrong with hoping for better.

I will still be there supporting rhe team , and if  McLeish  is successful I will be elated and the first on here to admit I was wrong .

5 minutes ago, tartanmartin said:

Why shouldn't we show ambition to get a Bilic or an Olsen or a Koeman (before he took up his new job)?

Our lazy board likely never approached them. While we can't necessarily offer them a massive basic wage we can make that up by loading bonuses for qualification. If you don't ask you don't get.

Appointing Scottish managers has failed for 20 years. I hope he does well but given who has appointed him I won't hold my breath.

McLeish was great 11 years ago but he's been out of work recently for a reason.

How on earth do you know who was or wasn’t approached? 

Yeah Koeman was fantastic at Everton wasn’t he? Bilic also made an arse of his last job.  

Anyway, I didn’t mean we shouldn’t be trying to get the best manager possible. I just meant we struggle to attract top talent. We couldn’t tempt Michael O’Neill away from Northern Ireland or Walter Smith out of retirement ffs.

What makes you think we’re going to attract a sought after manager to our shores?

1 minute ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I find it laughable fans red-faced with anger at McLeish labelling him a judas but they wanted O'Neill to become a judas by leaving his home nation job to manage us.

Yeah or Steve Clarke to leave Killie or Lennon to leave Hibs. 

Nobody ever seems to want an unemployed manager. 

McLeish will do for me.

I said at the start of the thread that a part of me would be happy to see him get the job. I'd only having taken Moyes closely ahead of him out of all the favourites. 

He's got experience playing for the jersey as he has managing the national team, both of which will stand him in good stead, as will the rest of his management experience including more recently acquired , albeit short, spells managing abroad. 

Had it not been for a dodgy referee McLeish could have taken us Euro 2008. We came close against all odds. More of the same with just a little bit more to get us over the line would see us in dreamland for the first time since 98 & I for one will be backing McLeish all the way in the hope & belief we'll be back at our 1st major finals in over 20 years. 

Wherever It Takes Us
Whatever It Takes 

9 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

How on earth do you know who was or wasn’t approached? 

Yeah Koeman was fantastic at Everton wasn’t he? Bilic also made an arse of his last job.  

Anyway, I didn’t mean we shouldn’t be trying to get the best manager possible. I just meant we struggle to attract top talent. We couldn’t tempt Michael O’Neill away from Northern Ireland or Walter Smith out of retirement ffs.

What makes you think we’re going to attract a sought after manager to our shores?

The Scottish cringe is strong with you.

52 minutes ago, DING said:

Wasn’t my first choice but don’t see the problem in giving the guy a chance- 

Martin o Neill wasn’t great shakes in his last gig but and managed to get Ireland to euros, he had them fired up and hard to beat...Michael O Neil likewise with Northern Ireland...

From what I remeber Mcleish continued what Walter Smith had going , harder to beat but maybe a bit more attacking at times, so I’d he can make us harder to beat and keep some of the good stuff strachan done- there was some ...and at the same time fire the boys up ...then he’ll do for me. If he doesn’t we will know by start of Euro qualifying ...

His record also is pretty decent ...with a few bad ventures - but doesn’t mean he can’t make this work - he also wanted the job- and I remember during the campaign he said he wished he had learnt from mistakes made - Georgia etc - sticking with tired legs- so maybe his experience will stand him well 

SFA a shambles from start to finish but it’s hardly mcleish fault he’s been vocal saying he wants it - I’m sure he could’ve got jobs elsewhere- maybe feels he let us down slightly before- if nothing he’s a passionate Scot - deserving of support and a chance - if he fucks up then he’ll deserve the abuse 

Of course he wants the job - no other fcker wants him!

21 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

He didn’t really walk out on Scotland. He just didn’t renew his contract and moved on to another job. Having said that, I do understand why people felt he let them down by not staying with us. 

Some folk are up in arms because they don’t think he’s a good enough manager though. Let’s give the guy a chance before we crucify him. 

I fancy us to win our Nations League group and if we qualify for Euro 2020 through the playoffs or qualifiers everyone who is slagging McLeish now will be raving about him. 

Someone posted his CV above

took Motherwell to a second place finish in the SPL, got Hibs promoted, won the English league cup with Birmingham and kept an imploding Aston Villa in the EPL.  Even at Rangers and with an open cheque book he was up against Martin O'Neill and his open cheque book at Celtic and still got the better of him on a few occasions. In addition, he led a Scottish side to the knockout stages of the Champions League for the first time. 

I think he made poor job choices after villa and if it wasn't for the walking away more would be happy

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I am all for summoning positive vibes now.

Why were/are Scotland fans still apopleptic with rage at McLeish labelling him a judas? That says that they felt he was doing a good job when he went to Birmingham. Face it they wouldn't still be seething if he was doing a terrible job.

I believe we would have qualified in the next campaign if he stayed and that hurts fans

But where we are now let's give him another, plus 10 years has passed

53 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

. Their lack of ability to think beyond their own interests for the greater good sees us where we are now.

Your last sentence sums up the reasoning of the first one beautifully.......whilst I will support McLeish to do the best for the team....the suits had a chance to do something different here and bring in maybe a more youthful coach that is hungry for success and maybe employ different coaching and training methods.....